Question about the integral used to calculate the voltage between two points

lys04
Homework Statement
If the voltage between two points is the negative integral from A to B of Edl, then in a given problem where it asks me to find the voltage between two points, how do I know which is A and which is B? Will both a negative and positive answer be accepted since its relative, like for example point A is +2V compared to B but B might be -2V compared to A?
Relevant Equations
negative integral from A to B of Edl
^^

Attachments

• voltage.png
    voltage.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 47
Physics news on Phys.org
"between" is symmetric. It does not imply a direction, so the answer would be a magnitude. But is that the word used in the question?

My usage of the word voltage, with which some PF users disagree, is to denote the absolute value of the potential difference between two points. If I want to refer to a quantity that could be positive or negative, i use "the electrostatic potential difference between from A to B".

When one writes ##Q=CV## for a capacitor, ##V## is called the voltage across the capacitor and is assumed to be always positive.

kuruman said:
"the electrostatic potential difference between from A to B"
Between? Did you mean "the electrostatic potential difference from A to B"?

Likes kuruman
haruspex said:
"between" is symmetric. It does not imply a direction, so the answer would be a magnitude. But is that the word used in the question?
No, I am just asking generally, it hasn't come up in a question. It just confused me tho. Does magnitude mean it's always positive?

haruspex said:
Idk, I saw a question online that was like find the potential difference between A and B so I got confused.
1692315704787.png

kuruman said:
My usage of the word voltage, with which some PF users disagree, is to denote the absolute value of the potential difference between two points. If I want to refer to a quantity that could be positive or negative, i use "the electrostatic potential difference between from A to B".

When one writes ##Q=CV## for a capacitor, ##V## is called the voltage across the capacitor and is assumed to be always positive.
:ok:That makes sense. Thanks.

haruspex said:
That's what I meant. I crossed out the superfluous "between". Thanks for the catch.
lys04 said:
No, I am just asking generally, it hasn't come up in a question. It just confused me tho. Does magnitude mean it's always positive?
The question in @haruspex's post #4 was addressed to me. It was a typo that I fixed. Sorry about the confusion.

But in circuit analysis you have to get the sign of the potential difference right. All these sign problems usually go away when you remember, how the corresponding quantities are derived from Maxwell's equations.

Likes Lord Jestocost

1. What is the integral used to calculate the voltage between two points?

The integral used to calculate the voltage between two points is known as the line integral. It is calculated by integrating the electric field along a path between the two points.

2. How is the integral used to calculate voltage different from the regular integral?

The integral used to calculate voltage is different from the regular integral in that it takes into account the direction and magnitude of the electric field, rather than just the function being integrated.

3. What is the significance of calculating voltage between two points?

Calculating the voltage between two points is important in understanding the behavior of electric fields and the flow of electricity. It helps in determining the strength and direction of the electric field, and can also be used to calculate the work done in moving a charge between the two points.

4. How is the integral used to calculate voltage related to the concept of potential energy?

The integral used to calculate voltage is related to the concept of potential energy, as it represents the work done in moving a charge from one point to another against an electric field. This work is stored as potential energy, which can be converted back into kinetic energy when the charge is released.

5. Can the integral used to calculate voltage be applied to any type of electric field?

Yes, the integral used to calculate voltage can be applied to any type of electric field, as long as the electric field is conservative. This means that the work done in moving a charge between two points is independent of the path taken, and only depends on the initial and final positions of the charge.