Question about the mechanism of a fishing rod

In summary, a fishing reel mechanism works by using an elastic fishing line to keep the hook engaged. The line can be taught to stay taut by shouting "Keep Winding!"
JackTom
TL;DR Summary
Hello
I would love to know how a fishing rod mechanism works. How is the wire always taut? I mean I guess it's a spring. Is it possible to get a consent form from someone? I can not understand how the spring works there
Thank you
Hello
I would love to know how a fishing rod mechanism works. How is the wire always taut? I mean I guess it's a spring. Is it possible to get a consent form from someone? I can not understand how the spring works there
Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. :smile:

What have you found in your searching so far about fishing reel mechanisms? They are definitely pretty cool mechanisms. :smile:

JackTom said:
How is the wire always taut? I mean I guess it's a spring.
Most of the “spring” is not in "wire" but is in an elastic mono-filament fishing line that keeps the hook engaged.
There are several different types of fishing rod and reel.
Google images 'fishing reel mechanism works'
Let us know when you have a more specific question about a specific type of reel.

berkeman said:
They are definitely pretty cool mechanisms.
Not for the fish.

• Haha
Likes hutchphd and berkeman
Baluncore said:
Not for the fish.
"You're going to release me, right? Catch and release, right? Right?!"

Having seen fish released only to bite again (yes, the exact same one) they can't think it's all that bad. LOL. I've heard they do this because their memory is very short. Like seconds long. I have no idea whether this is true or not. This idea caused me to realize that a significant part of misery is the memory.

berkeman said:
"You're going to release me, right? Catch and release, right? Right?!"
That's quite right, you are too small to eat so I will throw you back; (as live bait on a hook, to catch a bigger fish).

Averagesupernova said:
This idea caused me to realize that a significant part of misery is the memory.
Or hunger.

• Haha
Likes Averagesupernova and berkeman
JackTom said:
How is the wire always taut? I mean I guess it's a spring.
Can someone help me with this one please? Are we asking why the fishing line stays taught? It certainly doesn't always. If a fish swims towards you, the line can go totally slack. A good flexible rod will bend and straighten, according to the load on it. It still takes skill to maintain net positive tension on the line by reeling in as the rod straightens. Ideally, the reel will have a brake on it to allow the line to pay out if the tension is too high. We've all seen Jaws.
They all shout "Keep Winding!" to keep the line taught or the hook can come out and you look a wally. My son in law's family are very unforgiving.

I will agree with @sophiecentaur here. Seems a bit silly. Asking: Why does X happen when clearly X doesn't always happen is a poor start. A string stays taut only if something is pulling the ends. That's the simplest accurate answer there is.

Likes berkeman and anorlunda

1. How does a fishing rod work?

A fishing rod works by using a flexible rod with a line and hook attached to the end. When the rod is cast, the line and hook are thrown into the water, and when a fish bites the hook, the angler can reel it in.

2. What is the purpose of the reel on a fishing rod?

The reel on a fishing rod is used to hold and release the fishing line. It allows the angler to control the amount of line that is released and retrieved, making it easier to catch and reel in fish.

3. How does the length of a fishing rod affect its performance?

The length of a fishing rod can affect its performance in several ways. Longer rods can cast further and provide more leverage for reeling in larger fish, while shorter rods are more precise for casting in smaller areas and can handle lighter lures and lines.

4. What is the importance of the material used to make a fishing rod?

The material used to make a fishing rod is crucial as it determines the rod's strength, weight, and flexibility. Common materials include graphite, fiberglass, and bamboo, each with its own advantages and disadvantages.

5. What is the difference between a spinning rod and a casting rod?

A spinning rod has guides on the bottom of the rod and is used with a spinning reel, while a casting rod has guides on the top and is used with a baitcasting reel. The type of reel used determines which type of rod is needed, and each has its own advantages and uses in different fishing situations.