Question about the William Herschel Telescope's new "Weave" device

• I
  • Thread starter phinds
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Device
In summary, a new instrument for the William Herschel Telescope (WHT) has been developed and is being used for multifibre spectroscopy. This technique was previously developed at the Anglo-Australian Observatory and offers advantages such as gathering spectral data for different stars in parallel and avoiding overlap of different star spectra. The equipment is more complicated, but data gathering is easier to automate once set up and calibrated.
phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
question about an article regarding the William Herschel Telescope's new "Weave" device
This article

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-62321537

makes it sounds like quite a big deal and if the description is accurate then that seems like a reasonable characterization, however I have little to no knowledge to base any judgment on AND this is a pop-science type of description and I have no faith in those at even though they DO occasionally get things (or at least most things) right. So ... I'm wondering if anyone here can give me a better idea of how important these observations will be.

Thanks

Paul

Likes DennisN and collinsmark
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes berkeman, collinsmark and phinds
Thanks

It does sound pretty cool.

I can imagine the advantages of such a system.
(a) You can gather spectral data for different stars in parallel.
(b) Unlike traditional spectoscopy (which can also measure different stars in parallel), there is no risk of overlap of different star spectrum (i.e., produces better data).
(c) Although the equipment is more complicated, the data gathering is probably a lot easier to automate, once everything is set up and calibrated.

Likes phinds

1. What is the purpose of the new "Weave" device on the William Herschel Telescope?

The "Weave" device is a new robotic fiber positioner that allows for more efficient and precise observations by automatically repositioning fibers to target specific objects in the sky.

2. How does the "Weave" device improve upon previous technology?

The "Weave" device improves upon previous technology by increasing the number of fibers that can be positioned at once, reducing observation time, and allowing for more accurate and detailed data collection.

3. What types of observations can be made using the "Weave" device?

The "Weave" device can be used for a variety of astronomical observations, including studying distant galaxies, mapping the distribution of dark matter, and searching for exoplanets.

4. How does the "Weave" device impact the work of astronomers?

The "Weave" device greatly improves the efficiency and accuracy of astronomical observations, allowing astronomers to gather more data in less time. This can lead to new discoveries and a deeper understanding of the universe.

5. Is the "Weave" device available for use by all astronomers?

Yes, the "Weave" device is available for use by all astronomers who have been granted access to the William Herschel Telescope. However, there may be a waiting list for its use due to high demand.