Question about voltage polarity and power

In summary, the conversation explains the concept of polarity in terms of charges and how moving a charge from one point to another can result in a change in polarity. It also discusses the relationship between voltage, current, and power and how the signs determine the direction of energy flow. Overall, the conversation provides a detailed explanation of the concept of polarity in a circuit.
Logical Dog
Hello,

If a positive charge is moved from point b to a, then we say a is positive to point b, and assign negative polarity to point b.
If a negative charge is moved from a to b, we still say the same.

Why? Please explain in simple terms if possible. Another question, if current and voltage polarity are in opposite directions of a circuit component it supplied power to the circuit, and if negative it takes power..why?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you have a positive charge - then wherever that charge is, is positively charged. Wherever it used to be, if there was nothing else there, is neutrally charged. Everywhere the charge is not, is neutrally charged.

If you have a negative charge - then wherever that charge is, is negatively charged. Wherever it used to be, if there was nothing else there, is neutrally charged. Everywhere the charge is not, is neutrally charged.

If we have two neutrally charged materials, A and B, however, and we take a positive charge from B and place it on A, then, A becomes positive because we added a positive charge and B becomes negative because we removed a positive charge (an extra negative one was left behind). If we had, instead, removed a negative charge from A and moved it to B, then B becomes negative because we added a negative charge, and A becomes positive because there is now a positive charge left behind that was previously canceled by the negative charge we just moved away.

We are not "assigning" the polarity here - what happened is a consequence of there being an equal number of positive and negative charges to start with.

That help?

Last edited:
Likes Logical Dog
Simon Bridge said:
If

That help?

Yes, it was an excellent explanation!
thank you. :smile:

But about polarity, this is what scams outlines says..that if moving a positive charge from b to a results in work done, then a is assigned positive voltage polarity and b negative. I don't completely understand why.

In particular I never understood this...when we say in conventional current that the positive charges flow to the negative, do we mean:

1. The positive charges are repulsed by the positive concentration towards the negative.
2. The negative charges attract positive charges towards them.
3. Both.

I know voltage is with respect to a point in the circuit, usually the source of voltage. Why is it called voltage rise when a positive charge goes from point b to a? (b is negative while a is positive polarity?) does the polarity of voltage mean higher potential vs lower potential>

I understood this: The passive sign convention states that for any device the direction of voltage (- to +) is opposite to current flow, which fits in with the model of the charge. I just want to know why because I feel very confused.

Last edited:
Bipolar Demon said:
I understood this: The passive sign convention states that for any device the direction of voltage (- to +) is opposite to current flow, which fits in with the model of the charge. I just want to know why because I feel very confused.
You need to avoid getting into generalisations here. A Current, in the form of a flow of charged particles can be in the opposite direction to the applied voltage, if the PD is only managing to slow down an already high speed beam of charged particles.

Likes Logical Dog
Bipolar Demon said:
Another question, if current and voltage polarity are in opposite directions of a circuit component it supplied power to the circuit, and if negative it takes power..why?
Voltage * Current = Power. Power is the rate of energy transfer in Joules per second.
The signs determine which way the energy is travelling.

We usually ignore the signs because we know what is happening, but the polarity signs are really very important as they indicate the direction of energy flow.

Likes Logical Dog
ok..I think I got it.

Likes Simon Bridge

What is the difference between positive and negative voltage polarity?

Positive voltage polarity refers to a voltage that is higher at the positive terminal and lower at the negative terminal. Negative voltage polarity is the opposite, with a lower voltage at the positive terminal and a higher voltage at the negative terminal.

How does voltage polarity affect the flow of electric current?

Voltage polarity determines the direction of electric current flow. Current will flow from the positive terminal to the negative terminal in a circuit with positive voltage polarity, and from the negative terminal to the positive terminal in a circuit with negative voltage polarity.

Can voltage polarity change in a circuit?

Yes, voltage polarity can change in a circuit. This can happen when there is a change in the direction of current flow or when there is a change in the connection of the circuit components.

What is the role of voltage polarity in power generation?

Voltage polarity is important in power generation because it determines the direction of current flow in the circuit. This is crucial for the efficient operation of generators and other power sources.

How is voltage polarity represented in circuit diagrams?

Voltage polarity is typically represented by the use of positive and negative symbols (+ and -) in circuit diagrams. The positive symbol is placed at the end of the component with higher voltage, while the negative symbol is placed at the end of the component with lower voltage.