Question for my Physics Project.

In summary: And the drag force acting on it will depend on its size, shape, and speed relative to the air. This is why bacteria can be carried by the air for long distances - because they have a small size and low mass, so the drag force can keep them suspended in the air.
Kuzey Cem

Homework Statement

Some disease-causing bacteria are carried by the air. Why don't these organisms fall to the ground as other objects?

Homework Equations

Drag equation might be useful here (I think)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it is because of air resistance. It is the force that are in opposition to the relative motion of an object moving through the air. It depends on velocity. It is calculated by using the drag equation.
However, I couldn't really figure out the connection between these.

Hi I am Kuzey Cem and I am a 12 year old student in Turkey. I am interested in any science, especially Physics and Biology.

Homework Statement

Which normally requires more work: pulling the piston of a water pump out of the cylinder or pushing it back in?

Homework Equations

I think it is related to pressure, and also force. But I don't know how pistons really work.

Homework Statement

When you wipe your feet to the carpet, how do your voltage and that of the carpet change?

Homework Equations

I found out that this is about static electricity and charges.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Some disease-causing bacteria are carried by the air. Why don't these organisms fall to the ground as other objects?
i.e. what makes things float?

I think it is because of air resistance. It is the force that are in opposition to the relative motion of an object moving through the air. It depends on velocity. It is calculated by using the drag equation.
However, I couldn't really figure out the connection between these.
Some other force opposing gravity is a good start, and drag is one of them.
You correctly observe that drag is proportional and opposite the velocity.
Consider though, if something is floating, as opposed to falling, then what is it's velocity like?
Therefore, how much drag force is acting?

Are there other things that can make something float?

Which normally requires more work: pulling the piston of a water pump out of the cylinder or pushing it back in? ... I think it is related to pressure, and also force. But I don't know how pistons really work.
... Then I suggest you go find some pictures of pistons in operation.
Seriously - this is a basic concept that will be used over and over again so you need to get a feel for it.

The pump is a hollow cylinder with a hole in the bottom, with a valve so water can only flow inwards.
The piston part is a solid cylinder that fills the inside - but can slide up and down.
You pull up on the piston, the piston pulls water into the chamber. When it is all the way up, you push down on the piston, and water flows out another hole, through another valve - which allows water to only flow out.
What determines the work done during each part of the cycle?

Simon Bridge said:
i.e. what makes things float?
They are not floating in the same way hot-air balloons do. They are just tiny, so air resistance is extremely relevant, and the air in our environment is always in motion.

Kuzey Cem said:
I found out that this is about static electricity and charges.
Correct.

mfb said:
They are not floating in the same way hot-air balloons do. They are just tiny, so air resistance is extremely relevant, and the air in our environment is always in motion.
Yes - there are forces at work besides buoyancy ...

So if the bacteria is flowing, it has a low velocity? Is that correct?

A low velocity relative to the air, yes.

Related to Question for my Physics Project.

What is the purpose of your physics project?

The purpose of my physics project is to investigate a specific topic or phenomenon in physics and gather data to analyze and draw conclusions from.

What kind of data did you collect for your project?

I collected data using various methods such as experiments, observations, and simulations. The type of data collected depends on the specific topic being studied.

How did you analyze the data for your project?

I analyzed the data using mathematical and statistical methods, as well as comparing it to existing theories and models in physics.

What challenges did you face while working on your physics project?

Some challenges I faced included obtaining accurate and precise measurements, controlling variables in experiments, and interpreting complex data.

What are the implications of your project's findings?

The implications of my project's findings can vary depending on the topic, but overall they contribute to our understanding of the laws and principles of physics and may have practical applications in real-world situations.