Solving a Disappearing Voltage Puzzle: The Ball Cyclotron Project

In summary, the individual is creating a ball cyclotron using a Van der Graaf-generator for a school project. However, when connecting the generator with aluminum tape, all the measured voltage disappears. The tutors believe this is due to the charge dissipating into the air, and suggest avoiding sharp points and using alligator clips. Other potential solutions include folding the edges of the foil strips, ensuring a clean bowl, and increasing the distance between the oppositely charged strips. The individual also mentions a previous experience with a Kelvin Water Dropper and its effectiveness being affected by high humidity.
irdeg

Homework Statement

I'm making a ball cyclotron (https://rimstar.org/science_electronics_projects/ball_cyclotron_electrostatic_accelerator.htm) for a school project. To generate enough voltage, I'm using a Van der Graaf-generator. The problem is that all the voltage, which I can measure, suddenly dissapears when I connect the generator with the alumium tape.

How is this possible and how can I solve this?

The Attempt at a Solution

My tutors think that the charge dissipates into the air.

Physics news on Phys.org
Static electricity has a way of dissipating.
Try to avoid any sharp points (pointed ends of connecting wires, etc.)
Alligator clips should work OK.
You might try folding the edges of the foil strips to get rid of the sharp edges.
Also, the bowl would have to be clean to prevent leakage between the strips.
Maybe the distance between the oppositely charged strips could be increased.
I built a "Kelvin Water Dropper" (Kelvin's thunderstorm) and once noticed that
it didn't seem to work as well in high humidity.

1. What is the Ball Cyclotron Project?

The Ball Cyclotron Project is a scientific experiment designed to solve a disappearing voltage puzzle. It involves using a series of metal balls and magnets to create a cyclotron, which is a type of particle accelerator.

2. What is the disappearing voltage puzzle?

The disappearing voltage puzzle is a phenomenon where the voltage in an electrical circuit suddenly drops or disappears without any clear explanation. It is a common problem in electrical systems and can be difficult to solve.

3. How does the Ball Cyclotron Project solve the disappearing voltage puzzle?

The Ball Cyclotron Project uses a series of metal balls and magnets to create a cyclotron. The movement of the balls and magnets generates a changing magnetic field, which can induce a current in a nearby circuit. By carefully controlling the movement of the balls and magnets, the project aims to manipulate the induced current and potentially solve the disappearing voltage puzzle.

4. What potential applications does the Ball Cyclotron Project have?

The Ball Cyclotron Project has potential applications in the field of electronics and electrical engineering. It could potentially help researchers and engineers better understand and solve the disappearing voltage puzzle, leading to more reliable and efficient electrical systems.

5. What are the potential challenges or limitations of the Ball Cyclotron Project?

One potential challenge of the Ball Cyclotron Project is the precise control and coordination needed to manipulate the movement of the balls and magnets. It may also be limited by the complexity of the disappearing voltage puzzle and the various factors that could contribute to its occurrence. Further research and experimentation will be needed to fully understand the potential applications and limitations of this project.