Question for those familiar with IIL (integrated injection logic)

In summary, the conversation is about the operation and relevance of IIL (integrated injection logic) in modern times. The bottom-most transistor is well-understood, but there is confusion about the transistor with a grounded base. It is questioned if this transistor acts as a voltage regulator and if it is still relevant. The conversation also discusses the potential misuse of diagrams and the importance of understanding logic families.
FOIWATER
Gold Member
Attached is a picture of IIL (integrated injection logic) cell. I understand the operation of the second (bottom-most) transistor, and analysis of digital circuits is adequate only understanding the operation of this transistor.

I do not understand the operation of the transistor with grounded base. Does it act as some sort of voltage regulator?

Any information, is appreciated.

Attachments

• iuhiuhuihhu.png
    iuhiuhuihhu.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 423
Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know the answer to your question, but FWIW, I don't think anybody uses IIL anymore. It was conceived back in the 1970's, and CMOS logic has come so far since those days that I don't know why anyone would care about IIL. Perhaps your question is just intellectual curiosity, but if you are learning about logic families I would suggest focusing elsewhere.

I have received almost an identical response regarding a CMOS inquiry.

IIL has its applications, any information is appreciated.

I read that article and still wasn't sure what the transistor is for.

It isn't wrong - do a google search for images on IIL, you will get as many or more hits of the circuit I posted.

In fact, if it acts as a current source, they would be the same circuit.

any one know if that is the case

FOIWATER said:
I read that article and still wasn't sure what the transistor is for.

It isn't wrong - do a google search for images on IIL, you will get as many or more hits of the circuit I posted.
The only one I see is the one from AlephZero's link.

how about the one I've attached.

Attachments

• wefewfweqw.png
    wefewfweqw.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 405

1. What is IIL (integrated injection logic)?

IIL (integrated injection logic) is an electronic circuit design technique that combines bipolar junction transistors (BJTs) and diodes to achieve high-speed and low-power operation. It was developed in the 1960s and was commonly used in early microprocessors and microcontrollers.

2. How does IIL differ from other logic families?

IIL differs from other logic families in several ways. It uses a combination of BJTs and diodes instead of just BJTs, allowing for faster switching speeds and lower power consumption. It also uses a different circuit topology, known as the "direct-coupled transistor logic" (DCTL) topology. Additionally, IIL circuits have a higher fan-out, meaning they can drive more inputs without degrading performance.

3. What are the advantages of using IIL?

IIL offers several advantages over other logic families. As mentioned, it has faster switching speeds and lower power consumption, making it well-suited for high-speed and low-power applications. It also has a higher noise immunity, meaning it is less susceptible to interference from external signals. Additionally, IIL circuits are relatively simple to design and can be implemented with a small number of components.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using IIL?

One potential drawback of IIL is that it requires a higher supply voltage compared to other logic families. This can limit its use in certain applications where lower supply voltages are required. Additionally, IIL circuits can be more sensitive to temperature variations, which may affect their performance in extreme temperature environments.

5. Is IIL still used in modern electronics?

While IIL was widely used in the past, it has been largely replaced by newer logic families such as CMOS (complementary metal-oxide-semiconductor). However, there are still some niche applications where IIL is preferred, such as in high-speed, low-power circuits for aerospace and military applications. Additionally, some modern processors may still use IIL for certain critical functions due to its high-speed capabilities.