Question: How to remove capric acid (caprate) from estrenes?

• Thread starter Maruska
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid
In summary, molecular distillation can be used to remove other unwanted molecules from a mixture, and this is helpful in some cases where a higher concentration of a desired molecule is desired.
Maruska
TL;DR Summary
Question: How to remove capric acid (caprate) from estrenes?
Hello everyone, happy to have found this forum! My name is Maruska.
I was wondering if anyone could give me ideas/suggestions on how,
in general, to remove capric acid (caprate) from estrenes?
Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Some questions to clear up some issues, correct anything I say that is wrong, and then we can probably help.
Assuming:
You have access to a chem lab, this probably is not kitchen table chemistry.
decanoic acid and its salts == capric acid, caprates
estrenes are a mix of phytosterol(?) derivatives, maybe like you find in tuber extracts from Dioscorea villosa the Mexican yam

Pick one of these as an answer
1. I want to remove decanoic acid from a mixture and keep the estranes
2. I want to keep both end products

Why? Your question is kind of vague, maybe you are playing with plant extracts or are in an advanced biochem class. You know what you want but we do not understand enough to help.

Thanks for your reply Jim.
For now the question is purely theoretical.
The first answer is the closest to my question. I like to know how
in general to remove decanoic acid from estranes and keep the estanes.

.. in the case the decanoic acid is chemically bound to the estanes..

Since you asked for an extremely general thing I can give you an answer at the same level. And I am not sure what chemically bound means here. Esterification?

So. This is a guess on my part. There is a world of possibilities, some of which cannot possibly work.

So start here:

Distillation processes - this assumes that the medium chain fatty acid you want to remove has a different boiling point or vapor pressure than the other molecules in the mix.

Example:
Molecular distillation is commonly used to increase DHA and EPA in fish oil. In other words remove other unwanted fatty acid molecules.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molecular_distillation

Best I can do for you. Sorry.

Last edited:
I think this is helpfull information too. Thank you Jim ;)

1. What is capric acid (caprate)?

Capric acid, also known as decanoic acid, is a saturated fatty acid commonly found in natural oils and animal fats. It is used in various industries, including cosmetics, food, and pharmaceuticals.

2. Why would someone want to remove capric acid from estrenes?

Capric acid can interfere with the properties and functions of estrenes, which are a group of organic compounds commonly used in the production of plastics, pharmaceuticals, and other products. Therefore, removing capric acid can improve the purity and effectiveness of estrenes.

3. How is capric acid removed from estrenes?

The most common method for removing capric acid from estrenes is through a process called distillation. This involves heating the mixture of capric acid and estrenes to their boiling points, allowing the capric acid to vaporize and be separated from the estrenes. Other methods such as solvent extraction and crystallization may also be used.

4. Are there any potential risks or concerns associated with removing capric acid from estrenes?

The process of removing capric acid from estrenes may involve the use of chemicals and high temperatures, which can pose safety hazards if not handled properly. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and regulations when conducting this process.

5. Can capric acid be recycled or reused after it is removed from estrenes?

Yes, capric acid can be recycled or reused in various industries. It can be used as a raw material for the production of other chemicals, as a flavoring agent in food products, or as a moisturizing ingredient in cosmetics. Proper disposal and recycling methods should be followed to minimize environmental impact.