Question on angular momentum of triplet and singlet wavefunctions

In summary: This implies that the total angular momentum is zero, because the eigenvalues for each component must add to the eigenvalue for the total angular momentum. In summary, the states |+,-> + |-,+> and |+,-> - |-,+> have different angular momentum values due to the Clebsch-Gordon coefficients and the behavior of the angular momentum operators. The first state has a non-zero angular momentum while the second state has a total angular momentum of zero. This is explained in more detail in the link provided.
The_Foetus
Hi, I'm relatively new to QM so just a basic explanation of my problem would be amazing!

I'm doing some internet research on superfluidity over my summer holiday, and was looking specifically at 3He, and the way it forms Cooper pairs. Having read a classical analogy to why the relative angular momentum of the two He atoms must not be 0, I then read that this excludes the possibility of having the wavefunction (|+,-> - |-,+>)/√2, where + and - represent up and down spin respectively.

This leaves then a possible triplet wavefunction of
ψ = a*|+,+> + b*(|+,-> + |-,+>)/√2 + c*|-,->
where a, b, c are constants.

My question is why the |+,-> + |-,+> state has a non-zero angular momentum, but the |+,-> - |-,+> state has l = 0.

Simple question I know, but would really appreciate an explanation.
Regards,
Foetus

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
The_Foetus said:
My question is why the |+,-> + |-,+> state has a non-zero angular momentum, but the |+,-> - |-,+> state has l = 0.
The raising operator J_+ gives zero when acting on that state.

But that's not enough information to conclude that the total angular momentum is zero. (In QM jargon, not intended for the OP, J_+ annihilates any state with m=+j.)

However, it's also true that J_x, J_y, and J_z all give zero when acting on this state. So it is an eigenstate of each component of the angular momentum operator with eigenvalue zero.

1. What is the difference between triplet and singlet wavefunctions?

Triplet and singlet wavefunctions refer to the spin states of a system. In a triplet state, the total spin of the particles is non-zero and can have values of 1, 2, 3, etc. In a singlet state, the total spin is zero. This means that in a triplet state, the spins of the particles are parallel, while in a singlet state, the spins are anti-parallel.

2. How is angular momentum related to wavefunctions?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of a system. In quantum mechanics, it is represented by the operator L, and is related to wavefunctions through the equation L = -iħ∇, where ħ is the reduced Planck's constant and ∇ is the gradient operator. This equation shows that the angular momentum of a particle is related to the spatial variation of its wavefunction.

3. Can singlet and triplet wavefunctions coexist?

Yes, singlet and triplet wavefunctions can coexist in certain systems. For example, in a system of two particles, one particle can be in a singlet state while the other is in a triplet state. However, it is not possible for a single particle to simultaneously have both singlet and triplet wavefunctions.

4. How do you calculate the angular momentum of a system with multiple particles?

The total angular momentum of a system with multiple particles is given by the sum of the individual angular momenta of each particle. This means that the total angular momentum operator L is equal to the sum of the individual angular momentum operators for each particle. Mathematically, this can be represented as L = L1 + L2 + L3 + ..., where L1, L2, L3, etc. are the angular momentum operators for each particle.

5. What are some real-life applications of singlet and triplet wavefunctions?

Singlet and triplet wavefunctions have various applications in fields such as chemistry, physics, and materials science. They are particularly important in understanding the behavior of molecules and materials with unpaired electrons, as the spin states of these particles can affect their reactivity and properties. Singlet and triplet states are also utilized in technologies such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and quantum computing.