Question on finding absolute pressure?

You have the gauge pressure and atmospheric pressure, so you can solve for the absolute pressure by adding the two values together.
delfinofrank
Hey, here's the question:

"If a gauge reads -295mmHg where athmospheric pressure is 101.7 kn/m^2 and the vapor pressure is 2.8 kN/m^2, what is the absolute pressure?"

I converted the gauge pressure to 39.36 kN/m^2 but where do i go from here? I know the equation is p_gauge= p_absolute - atmospheric, but where do I factor in the vapor pressure?!

Please help! Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
delfinofrank said:
I converted the gauge pressure to 39.36 kN/m^2 but where do i go from here? I know the equation is p_gauge= p_absolute - atmospheric, but where do I factor in the vapor pressure?!
I think your equation is correct. I'm reasonably sure that the vapor
pressure is not a factor here. It seems that was included just to throw you off track.

Related to Question on finding absolute pressure?

What is absolute pressure?

Absolute pressure is the total pressure at a given point in a fluid, including both the atmospheric pressure and the pressure exerted by the fluid itself.

How is absolute pressure different from gauge pressure?

Gauge pressure only measures the pressure exerted by the fluid, while absolute pressure takes into account the atmospheric pressure as well. Gauge pressure is always relative to the atmospheric pressure, while absolute pressure is measured with respect to a perfect vacuum.

How is absolute pressure measured?

Absolute pressure can be measured using various devices, such as a mercury barometer or a manometer. These devices measure the height of a liquid column, which is directly proportional to the pressure exerted by the fluid.

What are some common units for measuring absolute pressure?

Some common units for measuring absolute pressure include Pascals (Pa), atmospheres (atm), pounds per square inch (psi), and torr. The choice of unit depends on the specific application and the desired level of precision.

What factors can affect absolute pressure?

The temperature, density, and volume of a fluid can all affect its absolute pressure. Additionally, changes in altitude or depth can also impact absolute pressure due to changes in atmospheric pressure or hydrostatic pressure.