Finding Gauge Pressure in this Manometer

atpeef
Homework Statement
Finding Gauge Pressure
Relevant Equations
Pgage = Pabs - Patm
manometer.PNG

Hi everyone. I would like to ask how do you find the gauge pressure at point 4.

I know the formula, which is:

Pgage = Pabs - Patm

But I don't know which one is the Pabs.

This is my attempt:

P4 = (600 kg/m^3 × 9.8 m/s^2 × 0.05 m) + Ptank

This is all I can do.

Please professors help me on this.

Tell me please the clue and hints as much as possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
atpeef said:
But I don't know which one is the Pabs.
You ask that as though Pabs is the pressure at some particular point; it isn't. At every point you can express the pressure either relative to atmospheric pressure (that is its "gauge" pressure) or as its absolute pressure Pabs, i.e. relative to absolute zero pressure. The difference, of course, is atmospheric pressure, Patm.
atpeef said:
P4 = (600 kg/m^3 × 9.8 m/s^2 × 0.05 m) + Ptank
Since you don't know Ptank, that is not going to help. Start at a point where the pressure is known.

Likes erobz, MatinSAR and nasu
What is (are) the fluid(s) in the system? Why different colours?
Oh, is "S" the relative density of the fluid?

Likes MatinSAR, erobz and SammyS
nasu said:
What is (are) the fluid(s) in the system? Why different colours?
Oh, is "S" the relative density of the fluid?

I think S mean a Specific Gravity (or SG) which is SG = ρ/ρwater.

So

S = 0.6 mean ρ = 600 kg/m^3
S = 0.8 mean ρ = 800 kg/m^3
S = 1.0 mean ρ = 1000 kg/m^3

I think they are in different colors just to illustrate a difference between one fluid to another.

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban
How do I type an equation here (perhaps in Latex format)? I tried with ##any equation## and $$any equation$$ and click the preview icon but it doesn't work.

atpeef said:
How do I type an equation here (perhaps in Latex format)? I tried with ##any equation## and $$any equation$$ and click the preview icon but it doesn't work.
Under the left hand end of the text entry area you should see the button "LaTeX Guide".

atpeef said:
There is a “bug”. You can’t see latex in preview until latex already exists in the thread.

Welcome, @atpeef ! :cool:

The whole mass of liquid inside the gauge is under the atmospheric pressure (P1) shown at the open end.
The weight of the columns of liquid (hydrostatic pressure) only adds up to that value for each section located under the liquid surface.

The lower each section of tube is below the open surface, the greater the total pressure is within the liquid.
Therefore, it would have a maximum value at the bottom of the U-shape.
Section 4 is in between that point and the open surface.

Please, see:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrostatics

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_pressure

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal's_law

In order to find the ##P_{gage}## at point 4, do I have to find the value of the ##P_{tank}## first?

If yes, this is what I got:

##P_{tank} + \left( 600 \ \frac{kg}{m^3} × 9.8 \ \frac{m}{s^2} × 0.05 \ m \right) + \left( 800 \ \frac{kg}{m^3} × 9.8 \ \frac{m}{s^2} × 0.15 \ m \right) = \left( 1000 \ \frac{kg}{m^3} × 9.8 \ \frac{m}{s^2} × 0.1 \ m \right) + \left( 600 \ \frac{kg}{m^3} × 9.8 \ \frac{m}{s^2} × 0.2 \ m \right) + P_{1}##

##P_{tank} + 294 \ Pa + 1,176 \ Pa = 980 \ Pa + 1,176 \ Pa + 101 \ kPa##

##P_{tank} + 1,470 \ Pa = 2,156 \ Pa + 101 \ kPa##

##P_{tank} = 2,156 \ Pa - 1,470 \ Pa + 101 \ kPa##

##P_{tank} = 686 \ Pa + 101 \ kPa##

##P_{tank} = 0.686 \ kPa + 101 \ kPa##

##P_{tank} = 101.686 \ kPa##

What is the next step?

Is it available another way to find the value of the ##P_{gage}## at point 4 without have to find the value of the ##P_{tank}## first? If yes, how to do it step-by-step?

If you would imaginarily remove the pipe and tank and liquid above cross-section 4, how much pressure you would need to apply on that surface to keep the liquid columns as balanced as the diagram shows?

atpeef said:
In order to find the ##P_{gage}## at point 4, do I have to find the value of the ##P_{tank}## first?
No. (Also, it's worth noting that the the tank-pressure is not a single value. The pressure at the top of the tank is less than the pressure at the bottom, though this is not an issue here.)

atpeef said:
If yes, this is what I got:

##P_{tank} + \left( 600 \ \frac{kg}{m^3} × 9.8 \ \frac{m}{s^2} × 0.05 \ m \right) + \left( 800 \ \frac{kg}{m^3} × 9.8 \ \frac{m}{s^2} × 0.15 \ m \right) = \left( 1000 \ \frac{kg}{m^3} × 9.8 \ \frac{m}{s^2} × 0.1 \ m \right) + \left( 600 \ \frac{kg}{m^3} × 9.8 \ \frac{m}{s^2} × 0.2 \ m \right) + P_{1}##
This doesn't help. But note, it gives the pressure at point 3, not point 4.

atpeef said:
Is it available another way to find the value of the ##P_{gage}## at point 4 without have to find the value of the ##P_{tank}## first? If yes, how to do it step-by-step?
The rules here mean that we won't give you a step-by-step answer. But see if this helps.

What are the the pressure-differences between:
a) point 1 and point 2?
b) point 2 and point 3?
c) point 3 and point 4?

Does knowing these values help you answer the question?

[Minor edits.]

Lnewqban said:
If you would imaginarily remove the pipe and tank and liquid above cross-section 4, how much pressure you would need to apply on that surface to keep the liquid columns as balanced as the diagram shows?
I don't know. Please explain.
Steve4Physics said:
No. (Also, it's worth noting that the the tank-pressure is not a single value. The pressure at the top of the tank is less than the pressure at the bottom, though this is not an issue here.)This doesn't help. But note, it gives the pressure at point 3, not point 4.The rules here mean that we won't give you a step-by-step answer. But see if this helps.

What are the the pressure-differences between:
a) point 1 and point 2?
b) point 2 and point 3?
c) point 3 and point 4?

Does knowing these values help you answer the question?

[Minor edits.]
The pressure difference between point 1 and point 2 is:

##P_{2} - P_{1} = \left( 600 \ \frac{kg}{m^3} × 9.8 \ \frac{m}{s^2} × 0.2 \ m \right) = 1,176 \ Pa##

The pressure difference between point 2 and point 3 is:

I don't know, please tell me how to find this pressure.

The pressure difference between point 3 and point 4 is:

Please help me slowly.

Why can't you use the same metod for the other pressure differences? You did it for the difference between 1 and 2.

Likes Steve4Physics and erobz
atpeef said:
The pressure difference between point 1 and point 2 is:

##P_{2} - P_{1} = \left( 600 \ \frac{kg}{m^3} × 9.8 \ \frac{m}{s^2} × 0.2 \ m \right) = 1,176 \ Pa##
Yes, good.

atpeef said:
The pressure difference between point 2 and point 3 is:

The pressure difference (##\Delta P##) between any 2 points (height difference ##\Delta h##) in a continuous 'section' of a single liquid (density ##\rho##) is given by: ##\Delta P = \rho g \Delta h##.

This pressure difference is not affected by what's outside, or by the shape of, the 'section’ of liquid.

Look at the Post #1 diagram. Between points 2 and 3 there is a continuous section of a single liquid with density 1000kg/m³. Point 3 is 10cm lower than point 2.

Can you now work out the pressure difference between points 2 and 3.?

Can you now work out the pressure difference between points 3 and 4?

And then, can you use the three pressure differences you have found to answer the question?

Manometer_Point5.PNG

##P_{3} = P_{5} = \left( 1000 \ \frac{kg}{m^3} × 9.8 \ \frac{m}{s^2} × 0.1 \ m \right) + P_{2}##

So, the pressure difference between point 2 and point 3 is:

##P_{3} - P_{2} = \left( 1000 \ \frac{kg}{m^3} × 9.8 \ \frac{m}{s^2} × 0.1 \ m \right) = 980 \ Pa##

Is this correct?

Likes MatinSAR
atpeef said:
View attachment 337767

##P_{3} = P_{5} = \left( 1000 \ \frac{kg}{m^3} × 9.8 \ \frac{m}{s^2} × 0.1 \ m \right) + P_{2}##

So, the pressure difference between point 2 and point 3 is:

##P_{3} - P_{2} = \left( 1000 \ \frac{kg}{m^3} × 9.8 \ \frac{m}{s^2} × 0.1 \ m \right) = 980 \ Pa##

Is this correct?
Yes.

Likes MatinSAR
OK, now how do I find the pressure difference between point 3 and point 4?
Is it including a ##P_{tank}##?

I don't understand after read the post #15.
Is it including/consist of ##P_{tank}##?
Please anwer this question.
If the answer is yes, then I will write it.

Steve4Physics said:
Yes, good.The pressure difference (##\Delta P##) between any 2 points (height difference ##\Delta h##) in a continuous 'section' of a single liquid (density ##\rho##) is given by: ##\Delta P = \rho g \Delta h##.

This pressure difference is not affected by what's outside
What is confusing in the above? It is quoted from post 15.

Likes Steve4Physics
##P_{3} = \left( 800 \ \frac{kg}{m^3} + 9.8 \ \frac{m}{s^2} + 0.15 \ m \right) + P_{4}##

So, the pressure difference between point 3 and point 4 is:

##P_{3} - P_{4} = \left( 800 \ \frac{kg}{m^3} + 9.8 \ \frac{m}{s^2} + 0.15 \ m \right) = 1,176 \ Pa##

Is this correct?

It looks OK to me.

OK, now what is the conclusion of all of these pressure differences? What it has to do with the ##P_{gauge}## at point 4?

Can't you find the pressure at point 4 after you have calculated all these differences?

atpeef said:
OK, now what is the conclusion of all of these pressure differences? What it has to do with the ##P_{gauge}## at point 4?
@atpeef, can you answer this?

A diver is going to explore a winding flooded tunnel.

At the start point, A, before jumping in, his pressure gauge reads 10 units (atmospheric pressure).

He jumps in and eventually reaches point B. From A to B, the pressure increased by 5 units.

He reaches point C. From B to C, the pressure increased by 10 units.

He reaches point D. From C to D, the pressure decreased by 3 units.

Questions;

a) What is the absolute pressure at D?

b) What is the gauge pressure at D?

nasu said:
Can't you find the pressure at point 4 after you have calculated all these differences?
Are you saying that by combining all of these 3 pressure differences, I may find the value of ##P_{4}##?

atpeef said:
Are you saying that by combining all of these 3 pressure differences, I may find the value of ##P_{4}##?
Yes - assuming you combine them correctly of course. Please answer the questions in Post #26 so we can check your understanding.

Steve4Physics said:
@atpeef, can you answer this?

A diver is going to explore a winding flooded tunnel.

At the start point, A, before jumping in, his pressure gauge reads 10 units (atmospheric pressure).

He jumps in and eventually reaches point B. From A to B, the pressure increased by 5 units.

He reaches point C. From B to C, the pressure increased by 10 units.

He reaches point D. From C to D, the pressure decreased by 3 units.

Questions;

a) What is the absolute pressure at D?

b) What is the gauge pressure at D?

a) Is it 22 units?
b) Is it 22 units - ##P_{atm}##?

atpeef said:
a) Is it 22 units?
Yes, that's the absolute pressure.

atpeef said:
b) Is it 22 units - ##P_{atm}##?
Yes, that's the gauge pressure. Note that you are told ##P_{atm}## = 10 units so the gauge pressure is 22-10=12 units.

Can you complete your original question now?

In addition to Post #30 ...

atpeef said:
##P_{3} = \left( 800 \ \frac{kg}{m^3} + 9.8 \ \frac{m}{s^2} + 0.15 \ m \right) + P_{4}##

So, the pressure difference between point 3 and point 4 is:

##P_{3} - P_{4} = \left( 800 \ \frac{kg}{m^3} + 9.8 \ \frac{m}{s^2} + 0.15 \ m \right) = 1,176 \ Pa##

Is this correct?
The final value is correct but there are some errors in what you have typed. You have typed additions (##+##) where you should have multiplications (##\times##).

Likes MatinSAR
atpeef said:
I don't know. Please explain.
If you would imaginarily remove the pipe and tank and liquid above cross-section 4, how the remaining liquid columns would naturally move to find a new balance?
How much effort would be needed to avoid that movement?

1. How do you find gauge pressure in a manometer?

To find gauge pressure in a manometer, you need to subtract the pressure reading on the open side of the manometer from the pressure reading on the closed side. The difference between these two readings will give you the gauge pressure.

2. What units are typically used to measure gauge pressure in a manometer?

Gauge pressure in a manometer is typically measured in units such as pounds per square inch (psi), kilopascals (kPa), or millimeters of mercury (mmHg).

3. Why is it important to consider the density of the fluid in a manometer when calculating gauge pressure?

The density of the fluid in a manometer affects the height difference between the two columns of liquid, which in turn impacts the pressure readings. Therefore, it is important to consider the density of the fluid when calculating gauge pressure in a manometer.

4. What are the common types of manometers used to measure gauge pressure?

The common types of manometers used to measure gauge pressure include U-tube manometers, inclined tube manometers, and well-type manometers.

5. Can you explain the difference between absolute pressure and gauge pressure in a manometer?

Absolute pressure is the total pressure at a given point, including atmospheric pressure, while gauge pressure is the pressure measured relative to atmospheric pressure. In a manometer, gauge pressure is calculated by subtracting the atmospheric pressure from the total pressure measured in the system.