Question on magnetic fields from wire

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Biot-Savart's law and Ampere's law to calculate the magnetic field produced by two wires. The first drawing shows two infinitely long wires with magnetic fields going into the page, and the second drawing has the wires bent so that only half of their length contributes to the magnetic field. The correct answer is determined to be C because only half of the length wires contributes to the magnetic field in the second drawing. The conversation also includes a discussion on the direction and magnitude of the magnetic field produced by two infinitesimal current elements.
RoboNerd

Homework Statement

Untitled 5.jpg

Homework Equations

Biot-Savart's law and ampere's law expressing B = mu0 * I / (2 * pi * r)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I know that for the first drawing, we have magnetic fields going into the page from both of the wires, and we have them being (infinitely) long, so we just sum the two expression from ampere's law to get

B0 at the origin = 2 * mu0 * I / (2 * pi * r )

In the right-hand drawing, we have half of each wire placed on the x-axis, and the rest goes parallel to the y-axis vertically. I know that by biot-savart's law, which has a cross product between dl and the r-roof vector, the magnetic field contributed by wires on the x-axis is zero as the equation becomes zero for each part.

OK. I know that the wires on the x-axis do not contribute to a magnetic field.

I examine the vertical wires going up and down in the second drawing. They both contribute a magnetic field as can be seen by examining biot-savart.

However, I am confused... why is the right answer C? Is it because that only half of the length wires contributes a magnetic field compared due to half of them running vertically due to them being bent? Or is there another reason?

Many thanks in advance for your help, and have a good day.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am confused... why is the right answer C? Is it because that only half of the length wires contributes a magnetic field compared due to half of them running vertically due to them being bent?
That's essentially the reason. But it's important to clear up any confusion.

Consider two infinitesimal current elements "a" and "b" as shown in red below.
upload_2016-8-26_18-34-53.png

The two elements in the left figure have the same length and are the same distance from the x axis. What is the direction of the B field produced by "a" and "b" at the origin O. How do the magnitudes of B compare?

Now repeat for the right figure.

OK.

Thanks for the help.

My result for the left figure was that a and b are the same in terms of the magnitudes of dB.

My result for the right figure was that the magnitude of dB is equal to zero and that the magnitude of dB at point b is the same as the magnitude of dB at point b in the left figure.

Thus, I am still of the impression that the B0/2 is the answer.

I hope my reasoning is right, because I got the right answer thanks to you. Thanks a lot for the help.

Your reasoning is right. Good work.

Likes RoboNerd
Thanks again.

1. How does an electric current create a magnetic field around a wire?

When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a circular magnetic field around the wire. This is because moving electric charges, such as those in a current, create a magnetic field.

2. Does the strength of the current affect the strength of the magnetic field?

Yes, the strength of the magnetic field is directly proportional to the strength of the current. This means that a stronger current will result in a stronger magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field around a wire?

The strength of the magnetic field is affected by the strength of the current, the distance from the wire, and the material of the wire. A stronger current, closer distance, and a wire made of a material with high magnetic permeability will result in a stronger magnetic field.

4. How can the direction of the magnetic field around a wire be determined?

The direction of the magnetic field can be determined using the right-hand rule. If you point your thumb in the direction of the current, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

5. Can the magnetic field around a wire be manipulated?

Yes, the magnetic field around a wire can be manipulated by changing the direction or strength of the current, or by using other magnetic fields to interact with it. This is the principle behind electromagnets and other devices that use magnetic fields.