Question on Radioactivity, Activity and Age Estimations.

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Carbon-14 dating to approximate the age of Ötzi, the Ice-Man, who was discovered in the Italian Alps in 1991. Carbon-14 has a half-life of 5730 years and an equilibrium concentration in the Earth's lower atmosphere. The conversation also mentions the use of the decay constant and the activity equation to calculate the age of the body.
Wesc
Hi all, my end of year Physics exam is tomorrow and I need some help on this question and if someone could help I'd appreciate it.

Carbon-14 has a half life of 5730 years, and an equilibrium concentration in the Earth’s lower atmosphere of approximately one atom per 8.3 x 1011 atoms of normal Carbon-12. The body of a Neolithic traveller – Ötzi, the Ice-Man – was discovered emerging from a glacier in the Italian Alps in 1991. Material found with the body had an activity of approximately 121 Bq per kg of Carbon. Ignoring any possible calibration errors, calculate the approximate age of the body.

So far I found the decay constant to be 0.000121 y^-1 from the Half-life formula.
I also used the activity equation A = -λn to get this: 121 Bq/kg = -0.000121.N ... So 1,000,000 Bq/kg = N

So now, I think what I'm meant to do is use X = Xo.e^(-λt) ... and get a ratio for how much Carbon is left? But I'm unsure how to do so. Thanks for reading and I hope you can help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The decay constant has a unit, 1,000,000 Bq/kg = N does not make sense.
You should get the amount of Carbon-14-atoms per kg there (it is not 10^6!). You can calculate the initial amount of Carbon-14-atoms per kg, and the difference between the two values is related to the age of Ötzi.

mfb said:
The decay constant has a unit, 1,000,000 Bq/kg = N does not make sense.
You should get the amount of Carbon-14-atoms per kg there (it is not 10^6!). You can calculate the initial amount of Carbon-14-atoms per kg, and the difference between the two values is related to the age of Ötzi.

I figured out another way anyway, thanks though ! :)

1. What is radioactivity?

Radioactivity refers to the process by which unstable atoms emit energy and particles in the form of radiation. This radiation can be in the form of alpha particles, beta particles, or gamma rays.

2. How is radioactivity measured?

Radioactivity is measured using a unit called the becquerel (Bq), which represents the number of radioactive decay events that occur in one second.

3. What is the difference between activity and radioactivity?

Activity and radioactivity are often used interchangeably, but they are not exactly the same. Activity refers to the rate at which a radioactive substance decays, while radioactivity refers to the property of being radioactive.

4. How is radioactivity used in age estimations?

Radioactivity is used in age estimations through a process called radiometric dating. This involves measuring the amount of a radioactive isotope in a sample and using its known half-life to calculate the age of the sample.

5. Are there any limitations to using radioactivity for age estimations?

Yes, there are limitations to using radioactivity for age estimations. For example, radiometric dating can only be used on certain materials and is subject to potential errors. Additionally, the accuracy of the age estimation can be affected by external factors such as contamination or environmental changes.