Age of radioactive sample, single variable equation.

In summary, Cobalt-60 is commonly used in nuclear medicine and has a half-life of 1925 days. Using the equation N=N0*e^(−λt), the activity in a 1 µg sample is 41.87 MBq and in a 10 µg sample at t=0 is 418.3 MBq. To solve for t, we can use the relationship between e and natural logarithms, ln(x) = y if x = e^(y), to find that t = ( ln(Activity at time t) ) / ((Activity at time 0) * −λ).
abri
I'm taking an introduction course for simple physics. All problems are solved with simple single variable analysis. My problem is that this is an introduction where you don't need any advanced math to solve the problems, but I can't remember how to solve the last equation. Would you mind helping me with this?

1. Homework Statement

Cobalt-60 (60Co) is often used in nuclear medicine. It has a half life of 1925 days (5,27 years).
A) Find the activity in a sample of 1,0 µg of cobalt-60.
B) An old sample originally contained 10 µg of cobalt-60 and has the activity of 5,0 MBq, how old is it?

Homework Equations

N=N0*e^(−λt)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've found the activity in the first sample to be 41,83 MBq.
T½ in sec = 1925 days * 24h * 60 min * 60 sec = 166 320 000 sec
Mean lifetime τ = T½ / ln2 = 239 965 373 sec
Decay rate λ = 1/τ = 4,167 * 10 ^-9 / sec

Cobalt-60 has an atomic weight of 60 u, meaning one mole weighs 60 grams.
So out of a 1,0 µg sample this mass will decay each second:
(4,167 * 10 ^-9 / sec) x (1 * 10^-6 mass in gram) = 4,167 * 10^-15 grams / second

This equates to:
(4,167 * 10^-15 grams / sec) x (1.0 mole / 59,93 g) x (6,022 x 10^23 atoms / mole) = 41,87*10^6 atoms/second
Activity in a 1 µg sample is 41,87 MBq

That means the activity in a 10 µg sample at t=0 is 418,3 MBq.

The activity is directly proportional to the number of nuclei left in the sample. This means we can use the formula:
N=N0*e^(−λt)
(Activity at time t) = (Activity at time 0) * e^(−λt)

This is where I get stuck, since it's an introduction you should be able to solve it with simple math but I can't figure out how to solve for t in the equation above. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the relationship between the number e and the natural logarithms?

SteamKing said:
What's the relationship between the number e and the natural logarithms?
Thanks! I couldn't remember where to begin but now I do.
ln(x) = y if x = e^(y)

Would the solution be this?
( ln(Activity at time t) ) / (Activity at time 0) = −λt
( ln(Activity at time t) ) / ((Activity at time 0) * −λ) = t

Last edited:
abri said:
Thanks! I couldn't remember where to begin but now I do.
ln(x) = y if x = e^(y)

Would the solution be this?
( ln(Activity at time t) ) / (Activity at time 0) = −λt

Looks like it.

SteamKing said:
Looks like it.
Thank you!

1. How do you calculate the age of a radioactive sample using a single variable equation?

The age of a radioactive sample can be calculated using the equation t = ln(N/N0)/(-λ), where t is the age in years, N is the current amount of the radioactive isotope, N0 is the initial amount of the isotope, and λ is the decay constant.

2. What is a radioactive sample?

A radioactive sample is any substance that contains unstable atoms, which undergo spontaneous decay and emit radiation in the form of particles or waves.

3. What is a single variable equation?

A single variable equation is an algebraic equation that contains only one variable, and its solution represents a single value for that variable.

4. How does the age of a radioactive sample affect its radioactivity?

The older a radioactive sample is, the less radioactive it becomes. This is because the amount of the radioactive isotope decreases over time due to radioactive decay.

5. Can the age of a radioactive sample be determined accurately using a single variable equation?

Yes, the age of a radioactive sample can be determined accurately using a single variable equation, as long as the initial and current amounts of the isotope are known and the decay constant is constant over time.