Carbon-14 Half-Life: Calculating Decays After 50,000 Years

In summary: So the answer to your original question is that the decay rate is constant for a particular sample after a given amount of time has elapsed.
Wing2015

Homework Statement

A sample containing carbon-14 has 16000 decays per minute. If the half life of carbon-14 is 5730 years. Aproximately how many decays per minute would be occurring after another 50 000 years.

Answer: approximately 40 decays per minute.

Homework Equations

N= No x e^-λt
T=in2/λ
A= λN ( A is the decay rate of sample I.e number of decays per second)

The Attempt at a Solution

Calculated the value of λ first from in2/5730 and got 1.2 x 10^-4.

Then tried to plug it into A= λN and tried to get the value of N by substituting the first activity of 16000.

From here I am stuck because I realized even if I find N and plug it back into the formula I'll be getting the same result. Which makes me confused about the whole question because I would have thought that the decay rate would be constant for a particular sample.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Examining your given data, you are given a time rate of change, a half-life, and you want another time rate of change after a finite amount of time.

It looks like your first plan of action should be to find the initial amount of carbon-14 present, since that is a rather integral part of your equation. I'm not sure what mathematics you have covered, but the derivative of your function N(t) with respect to t will give you an expression for the rate of change at any time t (that's what your third equation looks to be, but with time set to 0).

Hope that helps!

Hello Wing, and a belated welcome to PF :smile:

"decay rate would be constant for a particular sample" may need some more explanation: what is constant is the probability that one single carbon-14 nucleus decays in a given time. The greater that probability, the more active a sample of a radioactive material. But the activity of a sample also depends on the number of carbon-14 nuclei in the sample, and that number decreases by 1 with every decay. So we write a differential equation for the decay rate (the number of decays per unit time) $${dN\over dt} = -\lambda N$$with the solution you indicate:$$N(t) = N_0 e^{-\lambda t}$$This can also be written as ##N(t) = N_0 e^{- t/\tau}## with ##\tau = 1/\lambda##, or as $$N(t) = N_0 \;2^{- t/\tau_{\scriptscriptstyle 1\over 2}}$$

Last edited:

1. What is Carbon-14 and how does it relate to half-life?

Carbon-14 is a radioactive isotope of carbon that is commonly used in radiocarbon dating to determine the age of organic materials. It has a half-life of approximately 5,730 years, meaning that after this amount of time, half of the original sample will have decayed into a stable form of carbon.

2. How is half-life calculated for Carbon-14?

The half-life of Carbon-14 can be calculated using the following formula: t1/2 = ln(2)/λ, where t1/2 is the half-life, ln(2) is the natural logarithm of 2, and λ is the decay constant for Carbon-14.

3. Why is 50,000 years a significant time period when calculating Carbon-14 decay?

50,000 years is significant because it is the maximum age that can be accurately measured using radiocarbon dating. After this amount of time, there is not enough Carbon-14 remaining in a sample to accurately determine its age.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of Carbon-14 half-life calculations?

The accuracy of Carbon-14 half-life calculations can be affected by several factors, including the initial amount of Carbon-14 present in the sample, the rate of radioactive decay, and any contamination or loss of Carbon-14 in the sample.

5. Can Carbon-14 half-life calculations be used to determine the age of all materials?

No, Carbon-14 half-life calculations can only be used to determine the age of organic materials that were once living. This is because living organisms continuously take in Carbon-14 from the environment, while non-living materials do not.