Question on Statics -- San Francisco Bay Bridge Bolts

In summary, the conversation discusses the direction of forces in statics and how it can be difficult to determine at times. The example of a tether ball is used to demonstrate this confusion. However, it is explained that the column is actually being pushed down by the cables holding up the bridge span, causing a reaction force in the footings of the column. This is further clarified by suggesting a different visualization of the force vectors.
in the rye

Homework Statement

http://cisephysics.homestead.com/files/NewSanFranciscoBridge.pdf

My question is on this problem. For some reason, I have trouble seeing which direction the force is pushing when it comes to statics. In this case, why is the column pushing up? I thought it would be going down because of gravity. There have been similar problems to this in my physics book, where I just don't get it. I'm fine on solving once I have the direction.

One that I can think of off the top of my head was with a tether ball. It showed the ball pushing against the pole, rather than into it. The diagram would look something like this below:

o|

Where the o is the ball
and the | is the pole

Then the vector for the x-direction is going to the left, but intuitively I'd imagine it's force pressing into the pole.

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
in the rye said:

Homework Statement

http://cisephysics.homestead.com/files/NewSanFranciscoBridge.pdf

My question is on this problem. For some reason, I have trouble seeing which direction the force is pushing when it comes to statics. In this case, why is the column pushing up? I thought it would be going down because of gravity. There have been similar problems to this in my physics book, where I just don't get it. I'm fine on solving once I have the direction.

One that I can think of off the top of my head was with a tether ball. It showed the ball pushing against the pole, rather than into it. The diagram would look something like this below:

o|

Where the o is the ball
and the | is the pole

Then the vector for the x-direction is going to the left, but intuitively I'd imagine it's force pressing into the pole.

Any help would be appreciated.

The diagram is somewhat misleading. It's not so much that the column is pushing up, it's that the cables holding up the bridge span are pushing the column down. Because the column can't move down, an equal and opposite reaction force is created in the footings of the column.

I think a better way to visualize what is happening is to suppose that the head of the force vector in the column was placed instead where the two force vectors T1 and T2 come together. In other words, the column is in compression.

1. What is the purpose of the bolts on the San Francisco Bay Bridge?

The bolts on the San Francisco Bay Bridge are crucial for holding the bridge together and keeping it stable. They are responsible for securing various parts of the bridge, such as the suspension cables and the road deck, to the main structure.

2. How many bolts are used on the San Francisco Bay Bridge?

The San Francisco Bay Bridge is held together by over two million bolts. These bolts come in various sizes and are used for different purposes throughout the bridge's structure.

3. What caused the failure of the bolts on the San Francisco Bay Bridge?

The failure of the bolts on the San Francisco Bay Bridge was caused by a phenomenon known as hydrogen embrittlement. This occurs when hydrogen atoms seep into the metal of the bolts, making them more brittle and susceptible to breaking under stress.

4. How were the bolts on the San Francisco Bay Bridge fixed?

The bolts on the San Francisco Bay Bridge were fixed by using a technique called "shimming." This involves inserting small pieces of metal between the bolts and their connections to increase their strength and prevent them from breaking again.

5. What steps were taken to prevent future bolt failures on the San Francisco Bay Bridge?

To prevent future bolt failures on the San Francisco Bay Bridge, engineers implemented several measures. These included using a different type of steel for the bolts, adding protective coatings to prevent hydrogen embrittlement, and performing regular inspections and maintenance on the bolts.