Question on testing logical truths for set operations

In summary, to prove if two statements are equal in set theory, one can use DeMorgans laws for propositions and show that the statements are equivalent. This can be done without using vein-diagrams, which may not be preferred by some individuals.
schlynn
My question is on how to answer if two statements are equal in set theory. Like De'Morgans laws for example. I'm currently reading James Munkres' book "Topology" and am working through the set theory chapters now, and this isn't the first time I've seen the material, but every time I see this type of work they always use vein-diagrams to "prove" if two statements are the same. I personally don't like vein-diagrams, they don't feel rigourus enough I suppose, so my question is there another way to work on these problems? Like a more algebraic way I suppose, not drawing circles and checking overlapping sections, just isn't the type of math I enjoy.

Physics news on Phys.org
schlynn said:
My question is on how to answer if two statements are equal in set theory.

Two "expressions" might be "equal" or "not equal" but , technically, "statements" are "equivalent" or "not equivalent".

If you want to prove that two expressions P and Q describe the same set, prove that the statement "x is a member of P " is equivalent to "x is a member of Q". For example, proving DeMorgans laws for sets can be done by using DeMorgans laws for propositions. ( such as "not (x is an elment of A or x is an element of B)" is equivalent to "x is not an element of A and x is not an element of B".

Related to Question on testing logical truths for set operations

1. How do you determine if a set operation is a logical truth?

To determine if a set operation is a logical truth, you can use the truth table method. Create a truth table for the operation and compare the resulting truth values to the definition of logical truth, which states that a statement is a logical truth if it is true for all possible truth value combinations of its variables.

2. What are the most common set operations used in testing logical truths?

The most common set operations used in testing logical truths are union, intersection, and complement. These operations allow us to combine, compare, and negate sets, respectively, which are essential in evaluating the truth value of a statement.

3. Are there any limitations to using set operations in testing logical truths?

Yes, there are limitations to using set operations in testing logical truths. Set operations only work with binary statements, meaning they can only have two possible truth values. This restricts the types of statements that can be evaluated using set operations.

4. Can set operations be used to prove or disprove a statement?

No, set operations cannot be used to prove or disprove a statement. They can only help in evaluating the truth value of a statement. The validity or soundness of a statement must be determined using other methods, such as logical proofs or counterexamples.

5. Is it necessary to use set operations when testing logical truths?

No, it is not necessary to use set operations when testing logical truths. While set operations can be a useful tool, other methods, such as truth tables, logical equivalences, and deductive reasoning, can also be used to evaluate the truth value of a statement.