Question regarding Friedmann equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the Friedmann equation and how it allows for a solution where H = H0 = 0. This suggests the possibility of a static universe, but it is seen as a spurious solution and a result of the equation's derivation. The conversation then delves into the details of how this solution is introduced and the implications of dividing by zero.
Buzz Bloom
Gold Member
It has occurred to me that the Friedmann equation

Friedmann.png

allows for a solution
H = H0 = 0 .
This seems to say that independently of the value of the scale factor a, and the various Ωs, a static universe is possible. I am guessing that this solution is spurious and is a side effect of the derivation of the equation.

I am curious about how the derivation introduced this spurious solution of the cosmological form of the GR equations, and would much appreciate someone posting an explanation.

Regards,
Buzz

Space news on Phys.org
Buzz Bloom said:
allows for a solution
H = H0 = 0 .

What makes you think that? You do realize that, if ##H_0 = 0##, the LHS is undefined, right?

Likes Buzz Bloom
how js H=0 a solution inependently of the value of a? Only if the Omegas are zero this can be true...

Hi Chris:

Thanks for your post.

If H0 = 0, then H = 0 no matter what values a or the Ωs have. I understand that H can also be zero with H0 not zero for some combinations of value for a and the Ωs. Such a solution would correspond to a mathematically possible configuration of a GR universe, but H = H0 = 0 does not.

Regards,
Buzz

PeterDonis said:
if H0=0, the LHS is undefined
Hi Peter:

Got it. Thank you. I have also seen the equation somewhere in the form
H = H0 √ . . .
This form, together with another of my occasional senior moments, are the sources of the spurious solution.

Regards,
Buzz

If H is zero the critical density is zero and so there is nothing in the universe. You recover Minkowski space.

Buzz Bloom said:
Hi Chris:
If H0 = 0, then H = 0 no matter what values a or the Ωs have. I understand that H can also be zero with H0 not zero for some combinations of value for a and the Ωs. Such a solution would correspond to a mathematically possible configuration of a GR universe, but H = H0 = 0 does not.

Well a's are not constant. In some point they can give an overall zero result and it's when the H=0 (acceleration halts for a moment).
The thing then is that if you want it to be always zero indepent of the value of a, the omegas to be zero. As for example the only way for:
ax^2+ bx+c =0 (always 0 independently of the value of x) would need a=b=c=0.

Orodruin said:
If H is zero the critical density is zero

More precisely, if H is zero at all times then the critical density is zero.

Buzz Bloom said:
It has occurred to me that the Friedmann equation

View attachment 94379
allows for a solution
H = H0 = 0 .
This seems to say that independently of the value of the scale factor a, and the various Ωs, a static universe is possible. I am guessing that this solution is spurious and is a side effect of the derivation of the equation.

I am curious about how the derivation introduced this spurious solution of the cosmological form of the GR equations, and would much appreciate someone posting an explanation.

Regards,
Buzz
If you permit this kind of division by zero, you can prove 1 = 2. All you've shown is that if you divide by zero, you can prove anything.

Likes Buzz Bloom
If you permit this kind of division by zero, you can prove 1 = 2. All you've shown is that if you divide by zero, you can prove anything.
Hi Chalnth:

Sorry I wasn't clearer in my post #5.

What you said above is what I meant by "another of my occasional senior moments".

Regards,
Buzz

1. What is the Friedmann equation?

The Friedmann equation is a mathematical equation named after Russian physicist Alexander Friedmann. It describes how the Universe evolves over time in the expanding Universe model of cosmology.

2. How is the Friedmann equation derived?

The Friedmann equation is derived from Einstein's field equations, which are the cornerstone of general relativity. It involves solving for the dynamics of the Universe using the energy density and pressure of its contents.

3. What is the significance of the Friedmann equation?

The Friedmann equation is significant because it allows us to understand how the Universe has evolved and is expanding over time. It also helps us to make predictions about the future of the Universe and its possible fate.

4. What are the key parameters in the Friedmann equation?

The key parameters in the Friedmann equation are the Hubble constant, which describes the rate of expansion of the Universe, and the energy density and pressure of the Universe's contents, which can include matter, radiation, and dark energy.

5. How is the Friedmann equation related to the Big Bang theory?

The Friedmann equation is a central component of the Big Bang theory, as it describes the expansion of the Universe from a singularity at the beginning of time. Without the Friedmann equation, we would not have a mathematical framework for understanding the Big Bang and the origins of our Universe.