Question regarding time period and distances of a comet

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of e and the time period of Earth's orbit using equations and conservation of energy. It also mentions finding the value of GM and the ratio of aphelion to Earth's orbit radius. The participants discuss the assumption of an elliptical orbit and the angle between velocity and radius being 90 degrees at the farthest and closest points. They also mention that orbits can be circular, parabolic, or hyperbolic, with the direction of acceleration always being towards the focus of the ellipse.
Kaguro
Homework Statement
The maximum and minimum speeds of a comet that orbits the Sun are 80 and 10 km/s respectively. The ratio of the aphelion distance of the comet to the radius of the Earth’s orbit is _______.
(Assume that Earth moves in a circular orbit of radius 1.5 × 10^8 km with a speed of 30 km/s.)
Relevant Equations
##T^2 \propto A^3## (Kepler's Law)

##R1*v1=R2*v2## (conservation of angular momentum)

##\frac{v_{max}}{v_{min}}=\frac{1+e}{1-e}## (derived from above using geometry)
We can find that (1+e)/(1-e) = 8 => 1+e = 8 - 8e => 9e=7 => e=7/9. I'm not sure if I need this.

We can also find the time period of Earth ## T=\frac{2 \pi r}{v} = 3.14* 10^7 s##

I think I need more information from somewhere else. What am I missing?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: can you use conservation of energy to get an expression for aphelion distance?

Likes Delta2
Right! Using that I got another equation:
##\frac{m v_1^2}{2} - \frac{GMm}{r_1}=\frac{m v_2^2}{2} - \frac{GMm}{r_2}##
With this I realized that I need GM. Then I thought that my Kepler's third law is incomplete because I just wrote it as a proportionality. So I checked my Kleppner and Kolenkow. The constant of proportionality is approximately ##\frac{\pi^2}{2GM}##

Then I used it on Earth's orbit to get 2GM= (27/8)*10^19
Then using the energy conservation equation, I get:
\frac{1}{r_2} - \frac{1}{r_1} = (56/3)*10^-11

Using r1=8r2, I get,
r2=(3/64)*10^11 m
So aphelion, r1 = 8r2 = (3/8)*10^11 m

Earth's orbit radius is (3/2) * 10^11 m,
So, ratio is 1/4 = 0.25.

This is what I get.

Likes Delta2
Yes, overall method is good. But a couple of points.

To find the value of GM, it’s simplest to equate the centripetal force acting on the Earth ##(\frac{M_{e}{v_e}^2}{R_e})## to the gravitational attraction of the sun on the Earth ##(\frac{GMM_e}{R_e^2})##. This gives GM directly in terms of the supplied values for ##R_e## and ##v_e##. I get ##1.35\times 10^{20}m^3s^{-2}##. This doesn’t agree with your value. So you may want to check your working.

(Of course you can independently check your value for GM simply by looking-up G and M, and multiplying!)

I’ll also note that if the aphelion is ¼ of the distance from the sun to the earth, this is unusually close to the sun for a comet!

Likes Delta2
Sorry i am not so good in astrophysics, but when we apply conservation of angular momentum as ##r_1v_1=r_2v_2## we assume that the angle between the velocity and the radius is 90 degrees in those positions. How do we know this?
In an attempt to answer my own question, is it because we assume the orbit is elliptical and those positions are the farthest and closest to the sun (which is one foci of the ellipse).

Last edited:
Delta2 said:
Sorry i am not so good in astrophysics, but when we apply conservation of angular momentum as ##r_1v_1=r_2v_2## we assume that the angle between the velocity and the radius is 90 degrees in those positions. How do we know this?
In an attempt to answer my own question, is it because we assume the orbit is elliptical and those positions are the farthest and closest to the sun (which is one foci of the ellipse).
Yes. The orbit is elliptical, the closest distance is perihelion and the farthest is aphelion. At these points, the rate of change of radius vector length is 0. So the entire velocity is tangential.

Likes Delta2
Delta2 said:
The velocity vector in polar coordinates is $$\vec v = \dot r \hat r + r\dot \theta \hat \theta$$ At the closest and furthest points we have ##\dot r = 0## (condition for min/max of ##r##), hence $$\vec v = r\dot \theta \hat \theta$$ and velocity is perpendicular to the radial vector.

Likes Delta2
PeroK said:
The velocity vector in polar coordinates is $$\vec v = \dot r \hat r + r\dot \theta \hat \theta$$ At the closest and furthest points we have ##\dot r = 0## (condition for min/max of ##r##), hence $$\vec v = r\dot \theta \hat \theta$$ and velocity is perpendicular to the radial vector.
Always nice to see the proof using vectors and derivatives. I had in my mind a kind of geometrical proof when i wrote post #5.
It seems to me your proof is stronger, it works regardless of the shape of the orbit.

Last edited:
Delta2 said:
... when we apply conservation of angular momentum as ##r_1v_1=r_2v_2## we assume that the angle between the velocity and the radius is 90 degrees in those positions. How do we know this?
Just to add to the other answers...

Simple orbits are elliptical (a circle being a special case of an ellipse) with the sun on the major axis at a focus.

Parabolic and hyperbolic paths are also possible, but you never get to see the comet again - so they are not actually 'orbits'!

The direction of instantaneous velocity is always tangential to the path. At the perihelion (nearest point to sun) and the aphelion (furthest point) the tangents are perpendicular to ellipse’s major axis and therefore so are the velocities.

This is directly due to the symmetry of an ellipse about its major axis.

Likes Delta2

1. How long does it take for a comet to complete one orbit around the sun?

The time it takes for a comet to complete one orbit around the sun varies depending on its distance from the sun. Short-period comets, which have orbits that range from 3 to 200 years, take less time to complete an orbit compared to long-period comets, which have orbits that range from 200 to thousands of years.

2. What is the average distance a comet travels from the sun?

The average distance a comet travels from the sun is about 5 astronomical units (AU). However, this distance can vary greatly depending on the type of comet and its orbit. Some comets can travel as close as 0.01 AU from the sun, while others can travel as far as 100,000 AU.

3. How far can a comet travel from its original orbit?

Comets can travel very far from their original orbit, especially if they are affected by the gravitational pull of other planets or objects in space. Some comets have been observed to travel as far as hundreds of millions of kilometers from their original orbit.

4. How does the distance from the sun affect a comet's appearance?

The distance from the sun can greatly affect a comet's appearance. When a comet is closer to the sun, it heats up and releases gases and dust, creating a visible tail. This is why comets are often more visible when they are closer to the sun. However, if a comet is too close to the sun, it may disintegrate due to the intense heat and radiation.

5. Can a comet's orbit change over time?

Yes, a comet's orbit can change over time due to various factors such as gravitational pull from other bodies, collisions with other objects, and outgassing (the release of gases and dust). These changes can cause a comet's orbit to become more elliptical or even be ejected from the solar system entirely.