Questioning the Invertibility of a Linear Operator T

In summary, the conversation discusses the invertibility of a linear operator and the claim made in Friedberg's book. The book states that if B is an orthonormal basis for a finite-dimensional inner product space V, then T(B) is also an orthonormal basis for V. However, the proof only shows that T(B) is orthonormal and does not prove its linear independence. It is then mentioned that this statement is not true for all linear operators, even ones that are invertible. The conversation ends with a clarification that an invertible linear operator can send an orthonormal basis to an orthonormal basis, but it is not always the case.
typhoonss821
I have a question about the invertibility of a linear operator T.

In Friedberg's book, Theorem 6.18 (c) claims that if B is an orthonormal basis for a finite-dimensional inner product space V, then T(B) is an orthonromal basis for V.

I don't understand the proof, I think the book only prove that T(B) is orthonormal.

If T is not one-to-one, why T(B) is also linear independent?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're right.. T(B) need not be linearly independent if T isn't injective.

But what hypothesis on T does the book make exactly?

Because it is not true that any linear operator, even invertible ones send orthonormal basis to orthonormal basis.

quasar987 said:
Because it is not true that any linear operator, even invertible ones send orthonormal basis to orthonormal basis.

Could you explain why an invertible linear operator can't send orthonormal basis to orthonormal basis?

Last edited:
?? You started by saying that you understood the proof that an invertible linear operator sends an orthonormal basis into an orthonormal basis. Now you are asking why that can't be true?

If T maps a finite dimensional space to a finite dimensional space and is invertible, then it maps a basis to a basis. If the spaces are not finite dimensional, that may not be true.

typhoonss821 said:
Could you explain why an invertible linear operator can't send orthonormal basis to orthonormal basis?

I'm not saying an invertible linear operator can't send orthonormal basis to orthonormal basis, I'm saying that it can, but in general, it wont.

Consider for instance T:R²-->R² given by T(x,y)=(x+y,y). It is an invertible linear operator that sends the orthonormal basis {(1,0), (0,1)} to the non orthonormal basis {(1,0), (1,1)}.

Related to Questioning the Invertibility of a Linear Operator T

1. What is a linear operator T?

A linear operator T is a mathematical function that maps vectors from one vector space to another in a linear fashion. It is often represented as T(x) = Ax, where A is a matrix and x is a vector.

2. What does it mean for a linear operator to be invertible?

A linear operator T is said to be invertible if there exists another linear operator T^-1 that can reverse the effects of T. In other words, applying T followed by T^-1 will result in the original vector.

3. How can I determine if a linear operator T is invertible?

A linear operator T is invertible if and only if its determinant is non-zero. This means that the matrix representation of T must be non-singular, or have a non-zero determinant.

4. Why is it important to question the invertibility of a linear operator T?

Questioning the invertibility of a linear operator T can help identify potential issues or errors in the mathematical model being studied. If T is not invertible, it may lead to unexpected or incorrect results in calculations or analysis.

5. Can a non-invertible linear operator T still be useful in scientific research?

Yes, a non-invertible linear operator T can still be useful in certain cases. For example, in systems where there are constraints or variables that cannot be fully controlled, a non-invertible T may be a more accurate representation of the system. Additionally, techniques such as pseudo-inverses can be used to approximate an inverse for non-invertible T.