Questions about aerospace engineering career

In summary, the individual is considering a career in astronautics or aerospace engineering and has a strong interest in space travel and physics. They hope to work with NASA or a company like Virgin Galactic and are looking for information on college options and majors. They are currently a sophomore in high school and have an A average with a strong aptitude for math and physics. It is recommended that they take advanced courses in these subjects in high school and pursue internships or co-op programs with NASA for potential job opportunities. Specializations in the field include aerofluids and propulsion, dynamics and control, or materials and structures.
ColinM
I am considering a career in either astronautics or aerospace engineering. I have always been interested in space travel. It's one of the few things that I actually spend time researching (along with the physics involved with it).
I am hoping to work with NASA or a company such as Virgin Galactic to help develop and engineer spacecraft or sub-orbital craft.

The thing is, I am a bit clueless as to what options are as far as colleges and majors in this area. I am pretty sure that I would be interested in getting a Ph.D in the field as well.

I am currently a sophomore in high school, and I want to have a plan for when I start picking out colleges the next couple of years. I am making good grades in all of my classes (I have an A average), and I am good with most math (except geometry-too many theorems and proofs. I prefer equations). Any information I could get regarding this would be great.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll let someone else chime in on colleges, but here are a few thoughts.

I’d recommend you take as much math and physics as possible as you can in high school. Try to do AP Physics C and AP Calculus BC. These will give you a good background for your first year courses.

Depending on the program, you'll do both aircraft and spacecraft , and will specialize through your electives. You'll also either specialize in aerofluids and propulsion, dynamics and control (this is what I am specializing in), or materials and structures.

For NASA, the best way to get a job is through their internship and coop program. Most of the engineers NASA hires did a coop/internship with them.

1. What is the job outlook for aerospace engineers?

The job outlook for aerospace engineers is positive, with an expected growth rate of 2% from 2019 to 2029. This is mainly due to the need for new aircraft and spacecraft technologies, as well as the increasing demand for unmanned aerial systems.

2. What skills are needed to succeed in an aerospace engineering career?

Aerospace engineers need a strong foundation in math, physics, and computer science. They also need to have excellent problem-solving and critical thinking skills, as well as strong communication and teamwork abilities. Proficiency in CAD and other engineering software is also essential.

3. What types of industries hire aerospace engineers?

Aerospace engineers can work in a variety of industries, including aerospace and defense, government agencies such as NASA, and commercial aviation companies. They may also work for research and development firms, consulting firms, and universities.

4. What is the difference between aeronautical and astronautical engineering?

Aeronautical engineering deals with the design and development of aircraft that operate within Earth's atmosphere, while astronautical engineering focuses on the design and development of spacecraft that operate outside of Earth's atmosphere. Both fields require a similar skill set, but the specific applications and challenges differ.

5. What are some common job titles for aerospace engineers?

Some common job titles for aerospace engineers include aircraft design engineer, systems engineer, propulsion engineer, flight test engineer, and aerospace project manager. There are also specialized roles such as avionics engineer, structural engineer, and aerodynamics engineer.