Questions about applying to chem REU summer internships?

In summary, the speaker is asking for advice on applying to REU programs and wants to know how to determine which schools are harder or easier to get into. They also ask about the importance of contacting professors at the REU sites before applying and express concern about their limited research experience and average grades. They are worried about being rejected by all the research places they apply to and not being able to get a job.
waterbottle12
I have a few questions about applying to REU programs. I've heard that some schools are a lot more selective than others...but how would you know which ones are the hardest/easiest to get into? I mean...I want to apply a some safeties (even getting into these will probably be difficult for me) but also some reach schools...

Also how important is it that I email the professors at the REU sites before applying?
Is it bad to just apply without having contacted the professors you want to work with?

Also my summer as a rising sophomore, I spent working at a hospital because I was (past tense) premed...so I only have one summer of research (back at my own college) under my belt :(
I'm going to be a rising senior this coming summer. and i decided on being a chem major very late (didnt take any chem courses till sophomore year)...so I only have gen chem, a year of orgo, and a semester of pchem. (two more chem classes next semester)
very average grades. so I'm kind of scared. I really want to go to grad school and I'm afraid that I'll be rejected by every research place I apply to and end up jobless..which would look horrible :(

Physics news on Phys.org
bumpity bump bump

Related to Questions about applying to chem REU summer internships?

1. What are REU summer internships?

REU summer internships are research experiences for undergraduate students in the field of chemistry. These internships provide students with the opportunity to work on a research project under the guidance of a faculty mentor at a different institution.

2. Who is eligible to apply for REU summer internships?

Typically, REU summer internships are open to undergraduate students who are majoring in chemistry or a related field. Most programs require applicants to have completed their sophomore or junior year of college and have a strong academic record.

3. How do I find and apply for REU summer internships?

You can search for REU summer internships on various websites, including the National Science Foundation's REU Program website. Once you find a program that interests you, follow their specific application instructions, which usually involve submitting a resume, transcripts, and letters of recommendation.

4. What can I expect to gain from an REU summer internship?

Participating in an REU summer internship can provide you with valuable research experience, exposure to new techniques and equipment, and the opportunity to network with professionals in the field. It can also enhance your resume and graduate school applications.

5. Are REU summer internships paid?

Yes, most REU summer internships provide a stipend to cover living expenses for the duration of the program. Some programs may also cover travel expenses and provide housing on campus or a housing stipend. However, the exact details and amount of compensation vary by program.