Questions about piezoelectricity

In summary: It looks like it can produce significant current from mild rubbing so it can work to some level right? it is enough to be felt on the skin?.i preffer it to be driven by touching and without batteries, even if it will have inferior performance. it just feel better that way.
FTM1000
it is possible to build a device that can create an electrical current that can be felt on the skin from a mild pressure by the hand?, dose piezoelectric materials can create enough electricity from friction like rubing them with the hand?.

don't ask for what it is, i just want to know

Engineering news on Phys.org
FTM1000 said:
it is possible to build a device that can create an electrical current that can be felt on the skin from a mild pressure by the hand?, dose piezoelectric materials can create enough electricity from friction like rubing them with the hand?.

don't ask for what it is, i just want to know

No, not really. You have to smack piezo pretty hard to get much of a current out of it. That wouldn't fit your application :-)

You could probably do something with induction -- like the flashlights that you shake to light them up.

berkeman said:
No, not really. You have to smack piezo pretty hard to get much of a current out of it. That wouldn't fit your application :)

You could probably do something with induction -- like the flashlights that you shake to light them up.

do you know what is the application of what i want to do? i can tell you on private if you want cause i can't talk about it her cause of adult restrictions..
the shaking mechanism of a magnet in a copper coil wouldn't fit to what i want.

what about triboelectric effect? i readed an article about producing electricity with friction of human skin on some polymer http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/nn403838y
it could produce enough current to be felt on the body?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD5N5_nmVug

i don't know if it is the same case but i saw this video about triboelectric power and charging of smartphones, in 2:15 there is a demonstration with someone powering several led diods by blowing into this generator

Last edited:
FTM1000 said:
do you know what is the application of what i want to do? i can tell you on private if you want cause i can't talk about it her cause of adult restrictions..
the shaking mechanism of a magnet in a copper coil wouldn't fit to what i want.

what about triboelectric effect? i readed an article about producing electricity with friction of human skin on some polymer http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/nn403838y
it could produce enough current to be felt on the body?

i don't know if it is the same case but i saw this video about triboelectric power and charging of smartphones, in 2:15 there is a demonstration with someone powering several led diods by blowing into this generator

The "Mentor" label under my username means that I see all that happens on the PF, so yes, I know what your desired application is.

No, triboelectricity and static electricity will probably not do what you want. What do you have against AA batteries? Or even CR2032 batteries?

berkeman said:
The "Mentor" label under my username means that I see all that happens on the PF, so yes, I know what your desired application is.

No, triboelectricity and static electricity will probably not do what you want. What do you have against AA batteries? Or even CR2032 batteries?
it looks like it can produce significant current from mild rubbing so it can work to some level right? it is enough to be felt on the skin?.
i preffer it to be driven by touching and without batteries, even if it will have inferior performance. it just feel better that way

1. What is piezoelectricity?

Piezoelectricity is the ability of certain materials, such as crystals and ceramics, to generate an electric charge in response to applied mechanical stress.

2. How does piezoelectricity work?

Piezoelectric materials have a special crystalline structure that allows them to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy. When the material is deformed, the positive and negative charges inside the crystal shift, creating an electric charge.

3. What are some common applications of piezoelectricity?

Piezoelectric materials are used in a variety of devices, including ultrasound machines, sensors, actuators, and even lighters. They are also used in musical instruments, such as electric guitars and microphones.

4. What are the benefits of using piezoelectric materials?

Piezoelectric materials have several advantages, including their ability to convert energy directly without the need for an external power source, their high sensitivity and precision, and their durability and resistance to harsh environments.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using piezoelectric materials?

One potential drawback of piezoelectric materials is their limited range of motion, as they can only generate electricity when deformed within a certain range. They also have relatively low energy conversion efficiency compared to other energy sources.