Questions about polymers and their properties

In summary, thermosetting polymers cannot be melted and have no melting point due to their strong covalent bonds, while elastomers are cross-linked to give them their elastic properties and improve their strength.
xthanhx

Homework Statement

Hello everyone, I have a couple of question regarding polymers that I some trouble understanding and hoping you guys would point me into the right direction.
For ''Thermosetting'' polymers I know that they become permanently hard with covalent bonds which they chain together to resist vibration at high temperature. So is it impossible to melt this polymer? Is it true that they do not have a melting point even at extremely high temperature?
Another problem I have regard polymer is about the Elastomer, why must it be cross-linked? Does it have to do with their elastic properties? I know that by cross-linking, the polymers do become stronger so cross-linking elastomers purely making them stronger? Have a nice day everyone.

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Equations N/AThe Attempt at a Solution For Thermosetting polymers, it is impossible to melt the polymer as it does not have a melting point. The covalent bonds formed between monomers are so strong that it is difficult to break them down. Instead, thermoplastic polymers can be melted and moldable. Elastomer is a type of rubber-like polymer which is cross-linked, that is why it can be elastically stretched and return to its original shape. The cross-linking allows the chains to resist breaking when being stretched, giving it its elastic properties. By cross-linking the elastomer, it does become stronger and more resistant to wear and tear as the cross-links form bridges between chains.

1. What are polymers and what are their properties?

Polymers are large molecules made up of repeating units called monomers. They have a wide range of properties, but some common ones include flexibility, durability, and light weight.

2. How are polymers formed?

Polymers are formed through a process called polymerization, where monomers are linked together to form longer chains. This can happen through various methods such as addition polymerization and condensation polymerization.

3. What are the different types of polymers?

There are three main types of polymers: synthetic, natural, and semi-synthetic. Synthetic polymers are man-made and include materials such as plastics and synthetic fibers. Natural polymers are found in nature, such as DNA and proteins. Semi-synthetic polymers are a combination of both synthetic and natural polymers.

4. What factors affect the properties of polymers?

The properties of polymers can be affected by various factors such as the type of monomers used, the length and arrangement of the polymer chains, and the presence of additives or fillers. Processing methods, such as temperature and pressure, can also impact the properties of polymers.

5. How are polymers used in everyday life?

Polymers have a wide range of applications in everyday life, including in household items (such as plastic containers and rubber gloves), transportation (such as tires and car parts), and in the medical field (such as in medical devices and drug delivery systems).