Questions about static analysis in Ansys

In summary: If they are not meant to move relative to each other, then Bonded is the appropriate option. Otherwise, Frictionless should be used. In summary, Ansys can calculate the weight of the structural element and water, but the weight of the structural element must be manually applied. It is advantageous to draw the structure on Ansys rather than importing from Solidworks. When calculating the length of the span, an additional 2L should be added beyond the section with supports. The contact between the stiffener and pipe can be set to Frictionless or Bonded, depending on their real-world connection.
Zohra
Member advised to use the formatting template for all homework help requests
In ansys , i want to do static analysis of a section of steel pipe supported on piers . the only loads are internal pressure of water and the weight of water and steel .

1. For the weight of the structural element, on Ansys I find that there is among the loads proposed in the list of loads: "Standard Earth gravity", does that mean that the weight is not not taken automatically in the calculation by Ansys?

For the weight of the water, I think it is taken automatically when applying "Hydrostatic Pressure" since it is asked in the details to enter the value of acceleration g. Can you confirm it to me ?

2. Is it advantageous to draw the structure on Ansys instead of importing from solidworks? (in terms of mesh and calculation)

3. It is assumed that the length of span = L (span is the section between two supports). what length should I take beyond the section where the supports are?

4. As far as I understood the stiffeners and the pipe do not have to be fused so What contact should I put between the stiffener and pipe? Bonded or Frictionless or other?
thank you so much

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Yes, the weight of the structural element will not be taken automatically into account in the calculation by Ansys. You will need to manually apply the load using the "Standard Earth gravity" load option. For the weight of the water, yes, it will be taken into account when applying the "Hydrostatic Pressure" load since you are asked to enter the value of acceleration g.2. It is generally advantageous to draw the structure on Ansys instead of importing from Solidworks, as Ansys has more powerful and accurate meshing capabilities than most CAD programs.3. If your span is equal to L, you should add an additional 2L of length beyond the section where the supports are, for a total span of 3L. This will allow for a more accurate representation of the real-world behavior of the structure.4. The contact between the stiffener and pipe should be set to Frictionless or Bonded, depending on how the two components are connected in reality.

1. What is static analysis in Ansys?

Static analysis in Ansys is a method used to analyze the structural behavior of a system under a static load or force. It helps to determine the stress, strain, and displacement of a structure, and is commonly used in engineering and design applications.

2. How does static analysis work in Ansys?

Static analysis in Ansys works by applying a load or force to a structure and then solving a system of equations to determine the resulting stress, strain, and displacement. It uses finite element analysis to break down the structure into smaller elements and then uses mathematical equations to calculate the behavior of each element.

3. What are the benefits of using static analysis in Ansys?

There are several benefits to using static analysis in Ansys, including the ability to accurately predict the behavior of a structure under various loads and conditions, the ability to identify potential failure points and make design improvements, and the ability to optimize designs to reduce material and production costs.

4. What types of structures can be analyzed using static analysis in Ansys?

Static analysis in Ansys can be used to analyze a wide range of structures, including mechanical components, buildings, bridges, and other civil engineering structures. It can also be used for various materials such as metals, plastics, and composites.

5. What are some limitations of static analysis in Ansys?

While static analysis in Ansys is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the structure and the load do not change over time and does not take into account factors such as temperature changes or dynamic forces. It also relies on accurate input data and may not be suitable for highly complex or nonlinear systems.