Ansys Workbench Static Structural Analysis

In summary, the author is trying to automate the simulation of a static structure by using an APDL script.
Meliani
Hello Guys
I am New here on the foum
Well i am simulating a static structure (Picture attached) on ansys and til now i have a result divergence when i apply different forces.
i guess my loads and fixed supports aren't well defined.
Please Help i know it s a bit long but please give it some time.
image link: https://ibb.co/h3mAc6
the cylinders in the bottom are just made to simulate the behavior of the bolts and first i applied a fixed support on it.
For the load i made a face split on back face of the top part of the assembly (circle coccentric with the groove) since there will be a part to be supported on that face.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your image doesn't have enough context to tell us what the problem is. Can you summarize your boundary conditions and what you're trying to solve for?

Well
I am trying to solve the equivalent stress on the differents parts and the directional deformation
First when i define a frictional contact btw different part (threads and the contact in washers), i get an error message ( diverged solution and contact status has an abrupt change )
For boundry conditions, in the bottom of the image there is 4 cylinders , i fix all apparent surfaces, and apply a remote force on the back face of the L part located in the center of the elongated hole !
Once this settings defined i have a 700mpa stress, but i am using S235Jr steel and 8.8 steel for bolts nuts and washers !
Please help
Thank you a lot !

You don't mention what version of ANSYS you're using, but in any case you'll need to make sure you've got your settings right. Contact conditions are a pretty complicated topic, but in general here is some of the feedback I give every time. It's possible you don't need contact conditions at all; unless you expect to see a lot of movement at the bolts and washers I would seriously recommend you consider bonding them using a multi-body solid. Alternatively, consider deleting your washers altogether and then use a contact condition with just your bolts.

Contact condition guidelines:
  1. Pay close attention to your mesh density in the contact conditions. The mesh should be of similar size on both sides of the contact, you can use a "contact condition mesh refinement" to make sure this happens. I'd also recommend using hex-dominant mesh where possible, tetrahedrons tend to make for rougher stress gradients.
  2. Make sure you use an "Augmented Lagrange" formulation for the contacts between the components. This formulation tends to work best for me in most conditions.
  3. As a start, make the contact condition between the parts frictionless. Once you get it to converge, then you can think about considering friction.
  4. Make sure your contact condition forces update every substep, and split your problem into MANY substeps (on the order of 100).
Try this out and see what happens.

Hello everyone,

I want to automate the numerical simulation by finite element by using an APDL script starting with the definition of the material the mesh the named selection of the zones where I will apply the nodal force and the displacement and the post-processing, and all this in the static structure solver.

I would like to know if this is possible please.

APDL is just the scripting language for running ANSYS; in theory almost everything you can do in the user interface can be done through APDL. However if you're not familiar with ANSYS, this may a very challenging task.

Have you looked into using the conventional user interface? What problem are you trying to solve that requires scripting automation?

1. What is Ansys Workbench Static Structural Analysis?

Ansys Workbench Static Structural Analysis is a computer-aided engineering software that allows users to simulate and analyze the behavior of structures under various loads and boundary conditions. It is commonly used in the fields of mechanical, civil, and aerospace engineering.

2. How does Ansys Workbench Static Structural Analysis work?

The software uses finite element analysis (FEA) techniques to discretize a complex structure into smaller, simpler elements. It then solves the equations of motion for each element to determine the stress, strain, and displacement of the structure. These results are then combined to provide an overall analysis of the structure.

3. What types of simulations can be performed using Ansys Workbench Static Structural Analysis?

Ansys Workbench Static Structural Analysis can be used for a variety of simulations, including linear and non-linear static analysis, buckling analysis, thermal analysis, and modal analysis. It also has advanced capabilities for contact analysis and material non-linearity.

4. Is Ansys Workbench Static Structural Analysis suitable for all types of structures?

While Ansys Workbench Static Structural Analysis is a powerful and versatile software, it is not suitable for all types of structures. It is designed primarily for solid structures made of linear elastic materials. It may not be suitable for fluid or gas structures, or structures with extreme non-linearities.

5. Can Ansys Workbench Static Structural Analysis provide accurate results?

With proper modeling techniques and accurate input data, Ansys Workbench Static Structural Analysis can provide highly accurate results. However, the accuracy of the results also depends on the assumptions made and the simplifications used in the simulation. It is important for users to validate their results with physical testing or by comparing them to analytical solutions.