Questions of Latitude: Can You See the Back of Your Head?

• Thread starter Ulnarian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latitude
In summary, the conversation discusses lines of latitude on the Earth and how they change as one approaches the North Pole. The question posed is whether one would be able to see the back of their own head on the horizon while standing on a latitude line close to the North Pole. The conclusion is that this would not be possible due to the curvature of the Earth.
Ulnarian
So I got to thinking about lines of latitude recently.

Since the Earth is a sphere, that means that, at the equator, a person would have to walk pretty far to go all the way around the Earth.

Now, as you head towards the North Pole, if you keep walking along the lines of latitude, you will find that your distance traveled to circumnavigate the Earth becomes shorter and shorter as you approach the pole until finally there are no more lines of latitude to travel, just a point (the North Pole).

The teaser is this. Say you're a mile from the North pole, and you look straight down a latitude line that is really close to the North Pole (I dunno, call it 89.999999 degrees N), will you be able to see the back of your own head on the horizon? Why or why not?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ulnarian said:
Say you're a mile from the North pole, and you look straight down a latitude line that is really close to the North Pole (I dunno, call it 89.999999 degrees N), will you be able to see the back of your own head on the horizon? Why or why not?

I do recall an article in Scientific American in the mid-90's maybe that was suggesting that there are such points in proximity to black holes. The light supposedly would bend around the black hole, effectively remaining in orbit. Of course, I think there's a lot of issues involved there, but it was an interesting idea nonetheless...

DaveE

Ulnarian said:
So I got to thinking about lines of latitude recently.

Since the Earth is a sphere, that means that, at the equator, a person would have to walk pretty far to go all the way around the Earth.

Now, as you head towards the North Pole, if you keep walking along the lines of latitude, you will find that your distance traveled to circumnavigate the Earth becomes shorter and shorter as you approach the pole until finally there are no more lines of latitude to travel, just a point (the North Pole).

The teaser is this. Say you're a mile from the North pole, and you look straight down a latitude line that is really close to the North Pole (I dunno, call it 89.999999 degrees N), will you be able to see the back of your own head on the horizon? Why or why not?
Obviously not. You line of sight does not curve with the circular line defining the latitude.

Can you ask a serious question?

1. Can I really see the back of my head?

Yes, it is possible to see the back of your head using mirrors or other reflective surfaces. However, the angle and clarity of the reflection may vary depending on the distance and positioning of the mirror.

2. Why is it difficult to see the back of my head?

The back of our heads are usually covered by hair, which makes it difficult to directly see it without the use of mirrors. Additionally, our eyes are positioned in the front of our heads, making it physically impossible to see the back without aid.

3. Can everyone see the back of their head?

No, not everyone can see the back of their head. This ability depends on factors such as the length and thickness of hair, the positioning of the mirror, and the angle at which one is looking at the reflection.

4. Is it possible to see the back of my head without mirrors?

No, it is not possible to see the back of your head without the use of mirrors or other reflective surfaces. This is due to the limitations of our eye's positioning and field of view.

5. Does the curvature of the Earth affect our ability to see the back of our head?

No, the curvature of the Earth does not have a significant impact on our ability to see the back of our head. This question is more relevant to the concept of the Earth being round and if we can see the back of our heads from different points on the globe.