How Do You Solve These Kinematics Problems?

• Thread starter MoreZitiPlease
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the conversation discusses solving various kinematic problems using equations and known variables. The conversation also includes an example problem and provides guidance on how to set up and solve the problem correctly. The main focus is on finding the correct equation to use and isolating the unknown variable.
MoreZitiPlease
Im making a new thread because I coulnt edit my previous thread title

1. Homework Statement
1. While descending at a constant speed of 1.0 m/s, a scuba diver releases a cork, which
accelerates upward at 3.0 m/s2. What is the diver’s depth when the cork reaches the surface 2.0 s later?

2. A car with a velocity of 27 m/s slows down at a rate of - 8.5 m/s2 to a stop in a distance
of 43 m on a dry road. The same car traveling at 27 m/s slows down at a rate of -6.5 m/s2 to a stop on a wet road.
a. How much farther does the car travel on the wet road before coming to a stop?
b. What maximum car speed will allow the car traveling on the wet road to stop in a distance of 43 m?

3. A car traveling at 14 m/s encounters a patch of ice and takes 5.0 s to stop.
a. What is the car’s acceleration?
b. How far does it travel before stopping?

4. An accelerating lab cart passes through two photo gate timers 3.0 m apart in 4.2 s. The velocity of the cart at the second timer is 1.2 m/s.
a. What is the cart’s velocity at the first gate?
b. What is the acceleration?

2. Homework Equations
WE NEED TO USE ONE OF THESE EQUATIONS FOR THESE QUESTIONS
V= Vo + at
d = Vo t + ½ at2
V2 = Vo2 +2ad
d = ½ (V + Vo) t

g= -9.8 m/s2

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I am sorry. I really have no idea. I have been sick for quite some time and missed a lot of school time. Since we are on break, this was our assignment, I cannot ask the teacher for help.

If you can tell me which equation I need to use, I am sure that will help.

Physics news on Phys.org
A good way to start any kinematic problem is to write down all the given quantities, and then use an equation that has all the known quantities except one.

Let's use #3 as an example:

we know [tex]\Delta[/tex]t = 5 seconds, [tex]V_{1}[/tex] = 14m/s, and since the car needs to stop, it's [tex]V_{2}[/tex] would 0

Last edited:
I solved 1-3; I am only in need of help on number 4.

Luckily I had a question very similar to that on my test. Here it goes

4. An accelerating lab cart passes through two photo gate timers 3.0 m apart in 4.2 s. The velocity of the cart at the second timer is 1.2 m/s.
a. What is the cart’s velocity at the first gate?
b. What is the acceleration?

In this case, we only need to worry about what happened between the 2 gate timers, everything before/after we can ignore.

So we know the distance it travelled, d = 3.0m, we know how long it took it to travell 3.0 m, t = 4.2 seconds, and we know it's velocity at the second timer [tex]V_{2}[/tex] = 1.2 m/s. Now we need to find an equation to relate these 3 known variables.

Another way you can do this, is do part b) first, and then a)

what did u get to find the accleration

My mistake, I think it would be better if you did part a) first and then b). Once you do that, post your work here.

I have no idea what to do..

I can't even properly set up the equation

V= Vo + at
d = Vo t + ½ at2
V2 = Vo2 +2ad
d = ½ (V + Vo) t

which of these 4 equations has 3 of the known quantities, and 1 unknown quantity that you need?

the 4th( i think) but when I set it up.. things didnt work out too well

I think the 4th is right. Let me give a try (hope I'm not wrong)

d = ½*(V + Vo)*t

3 = ½*(1.2 + Vo)*4.2
6 = (1.2 + Vo)*4.2
1.2 + Vo = 6 / 4.2
Vo ~ 1.43 m/s

yea... I see what you mean. It's initial velocity is supposed to be smaller than it's velocity at the second gate...

Last edited:
so it is w4ong?

I'm an idiot

3 = ½*(1.2 + Vo)*4.2
6 = (1.2 + Vo)*4.2
1.2 + Vo = 6 / 4.2
Vo = 1.43 - 1.2 = 0.23 m/s

that sounds more possible because the cart is accelerating so it's supposed to gain speed.

i'll try that

im not following your work

I m lost in it

Last edited:
where did u get 6 from?

3 = ½*(1.2 + Vo)*4.2
6 = (1.2 + Vo)*4.2

I needed to get rid of the ½ and so I multiplyed both sides of the equation by 2

why would u do that...

to isolate Vo

Here's an example:

you have the following equation

½X = 3

Isolate X so we would multiply both sides by 2 to isolate X so we get X = 6

2 * ½ = 1

i got .48m/s

it would help if you posted your work

U1L6a1.gif

I used the bottom right equation

and took it from there

3= 1.2/2 (4.2)

3-2.52=.48

you can't do that. If you look at that equation, the fraction 1/2 only effects Vi and Vf, not t.

think of it like this:

([tex]\frac{Vf+Vi}{2}[/tex])*t

as you can see, t is outside the bracket and hence isn't effected by the 1/2. If you wanted it inside the bracket, you would need to divide t by 2 as well, but that's just extra work you don't need to do

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What are the basic concepts of kinematics?

The basic concepts of kinematics include displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time. These concepts help describe the motion of an object.

3. What is the difference between distance and displacement?

Distance is the total length traveled by an object, while displacement is the shortest distance between the starting point and ending point of an object's motion.

4. How is velocity different from speed?

Velocity is a vector quantity that includes both speed and direction, while speed is a scalar quantity that only represents the numerical value of how fast an object is moving.

5. How is acceleration calculated in kinematics?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. It is represented by the equation a = (vf - vi) / t, where vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.