Questions physics majoring and math

• Programs
  • Thread starter U-238
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the speaker is a 14 year-old interested in science and math, planning to pursue physics in college. They are concerned about understanding the math involved and whether they will be able to succeed in the field. They are also considering taking extra math classes in high school to prepare. The speaker acknowledges that college level math is different and can be taught, but success in academia also requires intelligence, discipline, and luck.
U-238
I am a 14 year-old going into high school next year. I am extremely interested in science and math, and will be in Pre-calc next year and taking two science classes. I am planning on pursuing physics, and I understand most of the concepts presented to me in books and on the internet, but I do not understand the math. When I get into higher order math,will it all become clear to me, or will I still have trouble? My concern is that the kind of math used in modern day physics can not simply be taught, and you have to be a prodigy to make progress in the field. Will it be possible for me to proceed into college with some kind of physics as my major, or will I have to pursue a less demanding job?

Also, it is possible at my high school to take 2 math classes in one year, in succeeding semesters, and summer school is also an option.

Physics news on Phys.org
When I get into higher order math,will it all become clear to me, or will I still have trouble?

You'll still have trouble.

My concern is that the kind of math used in modern day physics can not simply be taught, and you have to be a prodigy to make progress in the field.

It can be taught. College level math classes are very different than high school level math classes. Although they can be taught, that doesn't mean you won't have to put in a lot of time studying them independently though.

But to make it in academia you need to both very intelligent and very disciplined, not to mention at least a bit lucky.

Last edited:

Related to Questions physics majoring and math

1. What is the difference between a physics and math major?

A physics major focuses on the study of matter, energy, and their interactions, while a math major focuses on the study of numbers, quantities, and space. Both majors involve rigorous problem-solving and critical thinking, but physics applies these skills to understanding the physical world while math applies them to abstract concepts and theories.

2. Is a physics major more challenging than a math major?

This is subjective and depends on the individual's strengths and interests. Both majors require strong analytical and mathematical skills, but a physics major may involve more hands-on experiments and laboratory work while a math major may involve more theoretical proofs and computations.

3. Can I major in both physics and math?

Yes, many universities offer a joint major in physics and math. This combination of majors can be highly beneficial for those interested in pursuing a career in fields such as astrophysics, theoretical physics, or mathematical modeling.

4. What career opportunities are available for physics and math majors?

Physics and math majors have a wide range of career options, including research and development, engineering, data analysis, teaching, and finance. Many major tech companies also hire physics and math majors for their problem-solving and critical thinking skills.

5. Do I need to have a strong background in math to major in physics?

Yes, a strong foundation in math is essential for a physics major. Physics involves complex mathematical concepts and equations, and a solid understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations is necessary. However, many universities offer introductory math courses for physics majors to help them develop their skills.