Questions regarding pre Big Bang

• B
  • Thread starter momo666
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Big bang
In summary, the BGV singularity theorem addresses the question of whether inflation can avoid the singularity, but it does not prove that the universe had a beginning. It is also important to keep in mind that at the time of the big bang, all physical theories break down, so we cannot have any knowledge of what happened before. The BGV theorem is interesting, but it does not provide a definitive answer about the beginning of the universe.
momo666
Okay, first off let me say hello, I am new here.

I am creating this thread in the hope that I can get some answers to some questions that are bugging me. Please keep in mind that I am not educated in physics so some of my questions might seem silly. Also, feel free to write responses as lenghty as you feel, the more precise you explain it, the better.

1) What does the B.G.V theorem tells us?
a. Does it say "our Universe" had a beginning or "The Universe" (aka "everything") had a beginning?
b.One common argument I hear is the the B.G.V theorem uses classical space-time and since we don't have a theory of quantum gravity, the theorem does not hold. But I think Alexander Vilenkin addressed this.
c. I remember that Sean Carroll got Alan Guth to say that he thinks the Universe is in his view Eternal. You might say that is his opinion but how can one of the authors of a paper that shows the Universe had a beginning say that?

2) From what state does the Universe begin to exist in the B.G.V theorem?
a. Is it timeless?
b. Can it be eternal?
c. Does it need a cause? Can it just BE?
d. Is it immaterial, spaceless, timeless ?

3) What is the "physical nothing" Lawrence Krauss talks about?
a. Again. Can it be or is it eternal or timeless ?

4) If our Universe began to exist and had a cause does that cause have to be immaterial, timeless and spaceless?

5) Could I get an opinion on the following "The definition of “singularity in the past” is not really the same as “had a beginning” — it means that some geodesics must eventually come to an end. (Others might not.) Most importantly, I don’t think that any result dealing with classical spacetimes can teach us anything definitive about the beginning of the universe. The moment of the Big Bang is, if anything is, a place where quantum gravity is supremely important. The Borde-Guth-Vilenkin results are simply not about quantum gravity." - Sean Carroll

6)I heard that hartle-hawking no boundary proposal shows that our Universe could have a beginning but no cause. Can someone explain how that works?

Feel free to answer my questions in whatever format you want.

Space news on Phys.org
I don't think the Borde-Guth-Vilenkin singularity theorem has ever been peer-reviewed by any reputable groups, so I would be skeptical to give it any credibility unless you can point to a peer-reviewed article in a journal such as Nature or something.

The answer requires knowledge of conditions at the time of the big bang. Unfortunately, we have virtually zero knowledge in this arena, only speculation - some more informed than others. It currently appears an understanding of quantum gravity is needed to answer many of the questions about the very early universe. This is an active area of research which has only enticed us with a few clues, but, no real 'facts'. We may never know the answer with any certainty, but, hope blooms eternal.

Likes 1oldman2
Loren said:
I don't think the Borde-Guth-Vilenkin singularity theorem has ever been peer-reviewed by any reputable groups, so I would be skeptical to give it any credibility unless you can point to a peer-reviewed article in a journal such as Nature or something.

I believe I am wrong. At least they have published something in Physical Review Letters, vol. 90, Issue 15, id. 151301.

Although the OP is phrased as a bunch of questions about the BGV singularity theorem, the Sean Carroll blog from which it quotes, http://www.preposterousuniverse.com/blog/2012/09/25/let-the-universe-be-the-universe/ , has a good explanation of why a specific technical result such as this one is not an OMG Final Answer to Everything. Keep in mind that we don't even have any solid evidence that inflation existed, or that any particular model of inflation is right. Therefore a result like BGV is relevant only within a very narrow set of theoretical assumptions.

The OP would in my opinion be well advised to back off from all of these overly specific questions about an overly specific technical result and ask questions about big bang singularities and cosmological models in general, especially simpler models. All of these questions phrased in nonmathematical language ("From what state does the Universe begin to exist in the B.G.V theorem? a. Is it timeless? b. Can it be eternal?") are basically meaningless in the form in which they were posed. In order to gain understanding the OP would need to start by learning how to pose simpler questions and refine them into meaningful simple questions.

Likes relatively-uncertain
The BGV theorem was designed to address the question can inflation avoid the singularity ? At first glance it appears that inflation can avoid the singularity as it violates the energy condition of the Penrose Hawking singularity theorem. However the BGV theorem shows that inflation alone cannot avoid the singularity . But that does not mean there really is a singularity/beginning of time. You can extend the space-time to before simply violating the condition of the theorem e.g. have a prior contracting space-time. So the BGV theorem is interesting but does not prove the universe has a beginning.

At the time of the big bang, all physical theories break down. So we can have no knowledge of 'before'.

What is the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is a scientific explanation for the origin of the universe. It proposes that the universe began as a singularity, a point of infinite density and temperature, and has been expanding and cooling ever since.

What existed before the Big Bang?

According to the current understanding of the Big Bang theory, it is not possible to know what existed before the Big Bang. The concept of time itself is thought to have started with the Big Bang, so the question of what came before is meaningless.

Can we observe the pre Big Bang universe?

No, we cannot observe the pre Big Bang universe. The earliest observable moments of the universe are from about 380,000 years after the Big Bang, when the universe had cooled enough for light to travel freely.

How long ago did the Big Bang occur?

The current estimate for the age of the universe is approximately 13.8 billion years. This is based on observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is thought to be leftover radiation from the Big Bang.

Is the Big Bang theory the only explanation for the origin of the universe?

No, the Big Bang theory is not the only explanation for the origin of the universe. There are other theories and hypotheses, such as the steady state theory and the multiverse theory, that attempt to explain the origins of the universe. However, the Big Bang theory is the most widely accepted and supported by scientific evidence.