Quintessence field equation of state

In summary, the equation of state parameter w for a quintessence field with potential m²Phi² is not between 0 and 1/3, as it would normally be for matter and radiation fields. This is because the quintessence field is treated as a classical field, not as a collection of particles. This is different from other fields, such as inflation fields, which are understood as pure classical fields. It is possible that this is due to the extremely low mass of the quintessence field.
fhenryco
TL;DR Summary
Quintessence field equation of state
Why the equation of state parameter w for a quintessence field with potential m²Phi² is not in between 0 and 1/3 depending on the energy of its particles relative to the mass of the field instead of the w resulting from formula 9 of https://arxiv.org/pdf/1504.04037.pdf which seems to be assuming that the field is classical ? !

In other words why is the scalar field treated differently than usual matter and radiation field when we want to compute it's w ?

Space news on Phys.org
Because it is a classical scalar field, not a collection of particles.

It's also what i suspected but i wanted confirmation because i did not realize before that the scalar fields used for instance in inflation are understood as pure classical fields: i believed that in modern physics everything was always quantum and that nobody would accept a field which is not a quantum field !

fhenryco said:
It's also what i suspected but i wanted confirmation because i did not realize before that the scalar fields used for instance in inflation are understood as pure classical fields: i believed that in modern physics everything was always quantum and that nobody would accept a field which is not a quantum field !
Another possibility i was thinking about is that they treat it like a classical field because of it's extremely low mass (extremely large wavelength) ... this is what they do for fuzzy dark matter ... but i found nowhere the same argument for inflation fields

1. What is the Quintessence field equation of state?

The Quintessence field equation of state is a theoretical model used in cosmology to explain the accelerated expansion of the universe. It proposes that the universe is filled with a scalar field, known as the Quintessence field, which has a negative pressure that counteracts the gravitational pull of matter, causing the expansion of the universe to accelerate.

2. How does the Quintessence field equation of state differ from other models of dark energy?

The Quintessence field equation of state differs from other models of dark energy, such as the cosmological constant, in that it allows for the possibility of the equation of state parameter, w, to vary over time. This means that the strength of the negative pressure of the Quintessence field can change, potentially explaining the observed acceleration of the universe.

3. What evidence supports the existence of the Quintessence field?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for the existence of the Quintessence field. However, the model has been proposed as a potential solution to the problem of dark energy and has been used in various cosmological simulations and models to explain the observed expansion of the universe.

4. Can the Quintessence field equation of state be tested or observed?

As of now, there is no direct way to test or observe the Quintessence field. However, scientists are continuously developing new methods and technologies to better understand the nature of dark energy and potentially detect the Quintessence field in the future.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations to the Quintessence field equation of state?

One of the main challenges of the Quintessence field equation of state is that it requires a very specific and finely-tuned value for the equation of state parameter, w, in order to accurately explain the observed acceleration of the universe. Additionally, the model has not yet been able to fully explain all of the observed data and there are still many unanswered questions about the nature of dark energy.