Equation of State w=1: Why Not Considered in Cosmology?

In summary, a free scalar field with Lagrangian density ${\cal L}=\frac{1}{2}g^{\mu\nu}\partial_{\mu}\phi\partial_{\nu}\phi$ has an energy momentum tensor with the equation of state $p=\rho$, or $w=1$. This equation of state, also known as a "stiff fluid", has been considered in cosmology but not extensively. It has the ability to rapidly dilute, with density scaling as $a^{-6}$, but it does not solve any major observational puzzles. Some researchers have studied its effects on primordial element abundances, but it does not address the matter/antimatter imbalance.
Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
A free scalar field with Lagrangian density
$${\cal L}=\frac{1}{2}g^{\mu\nu}\partial_{\mu}\phi\partial_{\nu}\phi$$
has the energy momentum tensor with the equation of state ##p=\rho##, i.e. ##w=1##. The Lagrangian density above is a very natural Lagrangian, yet the equation of state ##w=1## seems not to be considered in cosmology. Why is it not considered?

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
I believe ##w=1## is referred to as a "stiff fluid" in the literature. It's been considered, but I don't know how extensively or in what contexts.

Likes Demystifier
Demystifier said:
A free scalar field with Lagrangian density
$${\cal L}=\frac{1}{2}g^{\mu\nu}\partial_{\mu}\phi\partial_{\nu}\phi$$
has the energy momentum tensor with the equation of state ##p=\rho##, i.e. ##w=1##. The Lagrangian density above is a very natural Lagrangian, yet the the equation of state ##w=1## seems not to be considered in cosmology. Why is it not considered?
What observational puzzles would this solve? Such a fluid would dilute extremely rapidly, with density scaling as ##a^{-6}##.

kimbyd said:
What observational puzzles would this solve?
Certainly not the matter/antimatter imbalance... I think that is the most important puzzle of way back when. His following link discusses elemental distribution, though.
Demystifier said:
"We calculate numerically the effect of such a stiff fluid on the primordial element abundances..."
Let me know if you find anything on the matter abundances, please!

1. What is the Equation of State with w=1?

The Equation of State (EoS) with w=1 refers to a theoretical model in cosmology where the ratio of the pressure to the energy density is equal to 1. This means that the pressure and energy density of the universe are directly proportional to each other.

2. Why is w=1 not considered in cosmology?

While the EoS with w=1 is mathematically simple and may seem like an intuitive assumption, it does not accurately reflect the behavior of matter and energy in our universe. Observations from various cosmological experiments and measurements have shown that the actual value of w is closer to -1, indicating the presence of dark energy and the accelerated expansion of the universe.

3. What is the significance of w=1 in cosmology?

The EoS with w=1 is significant because it represents a critical point in the evolution of the universe. At this point, the universe is dominated by radiation, and the expansion rate is determined by the balance between the radiation pressure and the gravitational pull of matter. However, as the universe expands and cools, the dominance of radiation decreases, and other forms of energy, such as dark energy, become more important.

4. Are there any real-world applications for the EoS with w=1?

While the EoS with w=1 is not applicable to our current understanding of the universe, it has been used as a theoretical model in various studies to better understand the early stages of the universe's evolution. It has also been used to explore the behavior of matter and energy in other hypothetical universes or alternate realities.

5. How does the EoS with w=1 relate to the study of dark energy?

The EoS with w=1 is connected to the study of dark energy because it is a simplified representation of the behavior of matter and energy in a universe dominated by radiation. This helps scientists understand how the presence of dark energy affects the expansion of the universe and the overall evolution of the cosmos.