Quiscent voltage as mention in my hall sensor

In summary, the speaker is experiencing two problems with a hall sensor, namely that it is not varying linearly as the magnetic field changes and that the quiscent voltage is showing as 0.7V instead of the expected 2.5V. The speaker is advised to test with a different magnet and to solve the issue with the quiscent voltage first as it may be causing the problems with linearity.
proing
Hi!

I am using this hall sensor http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0d88/0900766b80d88153.pdf

i got 2 problems:

1. When i vary the magnetic field, the hall sensor is acting like digital, i mean, it showing either high value or low value... Its not varying linearly as the distance between the magnet and sensor varies.

2. The quiscent voltage of this sensor is 2.5V (that is, the hall voltage must be 2.5V without the magnetic field), but it showing 0.7V.

I am playing with this voltage only, when i bring the north pole of the magnet near to the sensor, the reading is 0.1V and moves away it showing 0.7V (like digital)

Please help me out..

Thanq

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
1. You may be saturating the sensor. The range of B fields over which it is linear is small (or smaller than the magnet you are using). A rare Earth magnet can be as high as 10,000 gauss. The transfer ratio is 2.5 mV- 5 mV /G. Try using an Alnico or similar non-rare Earth magnet to test it. However...

2. This may be part of the problem - solve it first because you may not be biasing the device properly in the first place.

1. What is quiscent voltage?

Quiscent voltage, also known as bias voltage, is the voltage present in a circuit when there is no input signal. It is the baseline voltage that the circuit operates at.

2. Why is quiscent voltage important in hall sensors?

In hall sensors, quiscent voltage is important because it is used to establish the reference voltage for the sensor. This allows the sensor to accurately measure changes in the magnetic field.

3. How is quiscent voltage determined in a hall sensor?

The quiscent voltage in a hall sensor is typically set by the manufacturer and can vary depending on the specific model. It is important to refer to the sensor's datasheet for the specific quiscent voltage value.

4. What happens if the quiscent voltage is too high or too low?

If the quiscent voltage is too high, it can cause the sensor to saturate and not accurately measure changes in the magnetic field. If the quiscent voltage is too low, the sensor may not have enough sensitivity to detect small changes in the magnetic field.

5. Can quiscent voltage be adjusted in a hall sensor?

In most hall sensors, the quiscent voltage is not adjustable. However, some sensors may have a built-in adjustment feature to fine-tune the quiscent voltage for specific applications.