R value in electron positron annihilation

In summary: The ϒ mesons are generated when the e+e- annihilate into quark and antiquark, which is the process you are considering. But the B mesons are generated when the ϒ decays via the strong interaction, which is nearly 100% probable.
bb13
In the calculation of R=σ(e+e-→hadrons)/σ(e+e-→μ+μ-) from BaBar experimental data at a center of mass energy of √s≈10 GeV i obtain R=5. Theoretically I should get a value of R=10/3. I know it has something to do with the resonances of ϒ mesons shown in the plot attached, but I don't know how to explain it. Help please.
Rplot.JPG

Attachments

• Rplot.JPG
    Rplot.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 903
Physics news on Phys.org
Using Monte Carlo simulation and finding the efficiency for the annihilation. Selecting only the events that passa a certain cut, I used σ=Nselected/(Lε) where L is the luminosity and epsilon the efficiency found with Monte Carlo.
I think I'm suposed to get this value and explain it with the ϒ meson, but I don't know how and I didn't find any explanation in any book. Thank you.

Then something is wrong with your Monte Carlo or the efficiency treatment.
What are the cross sections you got?

The ϒ mesons don't matter if you are at exactly 10 GeV or generally not inside one of the resonances.

The exact center of mass energy is √s=10.539 GeV
σ(e+e-→μ+μ-)=782 pb
σ(e+e-→hadrons)=3917 pb

bb13 said:
The exact center of mass energy is √s=10.539 GeV
That is inside the ϒ(4s) peak. Sure, that changes the values. You probably get something between the R-value outside the resonances and the ϒ(4s) decay modes.

Could you give some insight about what decay modes could increase the value of σ(e+e-→hadrons) and how would that increase the cross section please?

Check the decay modes and see which interaction is leading to them. It is not the electromagnetic interaction.

Looking in the PDG website I can see that the decat into B Bbar is the most favourable decay. Is that enough to say why the hadronic cross section is so large? Or should I also look the decays of B Bbar? According to PDG the most favourble decay for B is a leptonic decay, which I don't see how would increase the hadronic cross section, it should in fact lower R as the cross section into muons would increase, wouldn't it?

The R value considers the direct collision process only. B mesons are hadrons, their decay modes later don’t matter.

Which interaction leads to the decay to two B mesons? Can you see why the derivation of the R value doesn’t work there?

The weak interaction leads to the two B mesons, right? But I still don't see why the R value doesn't work.

Until know we've seen that the e+e- decays into ϒ(4s) which at the same time decays into B mesons thus increasing the cross section for the decay into hadrons right? I don't understand why the derivation for R doesn't work under this procedure.

Why would you expect the weak interaction to be relevant?
Even if it would: Why would you expect it to follow a rule that is based on electric charges?

e+e- doesn’t “decay” to ϒ(4s).

The R-value of 10/3 comes from the assumption that the e+e- pair interacts via a virtual photon. Only in this case are the electric charges relevant. An ϒ is not a photon.

I think I'm starting to understand. So the ϒ is generated when the e+e- annihilate into quark and antiquark via electromagnetic interaction, but the B mesons are generated via the weak interaction on ϒ, so they are not taken into account for the rule of R=10/3, thus increasing that value?

There is no weak interaction involved.

The ##\Upsilon## is a resonance, it has a cross section way above the process you consider to get R=10/3 for other energies.
It decays via the strong interaction with nearly 100% probability, and that decay produces hadrons.

1. What is the R value in electron positron annihilation?

The R value in electron positron annihilation refers to the ratio of the cross-section for the production of hadrons to the cross-section for the production of muons or electrons. It is a measure of the strength of the strong interaction, which governs the production of hadrons.

2. How is the R value calculated?

The R value is calculated by taking the ratio of the cross-section for hadron production to the cross-section for electron or muon production. This is typically done using data from experiments, such as particle colliders, where electron-positron collisions can be studied.

3. What is the significance of the R value?

The R value is an important measure in particle physics as it provides information about the strength of the strong interaction. It is also used to test the predictions of quantum chromodynamics (QCD), a theory that describes the strong interaction.

4. How does the R value change with energy?

The R value is observed to decrease with increasing energy. This is due to the effects of asymptotic freedom, a phenomenon predicted by QCD where the strength of the strong interaction decreases at higher energies.

5. What is the current status of the R value in electron positron annihilation?

The R value has been extensively studied and measured in experiments, and its value has been found to be consistent with the predictions of QCD. However, there are ongoing efforts to improve the precision of the R value measurements, as it can provide valuable insights into the nature of the strong interaction.