Is the Online Masters in Radiation Health Physics at Oregon State University Worth It?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential enrollment in the online Radiation Health Physics Masters program at Oregon State University. There is some uncertainty about the credibility of the program and how it addresses practical aspects of teaching health physics, such as calibrating survey meters. It is mentioned that Oregon State has a one-week on-campus instrumentation lab and the speaker, who is a nuclear medicine technologist, is familiar with radiation instrumentation. There is also a question about job prospects after completing the program and the cost of the degree.
anish pate
I am thinking about enrolling in the online Radiation Health Physics Masters program at Oregon State University. Does anyone know of this program and whether it's credible or not?

Physics news on Phys.org
Online?

I know Oregon State has an accredited medical physics program and I believe they have a strong health physics program, but I'm not sure if those are the same thing. If you intend to go into health physics, then I'm sure an online MSc could be done, but I would be curious to know how they deal with the practical aspects of teaching you health physics. Would they show you how to calibrate a survey meter for example?

Oregon state has a one week on campus instrumentation lab. I am a nuclear medicine technologist so I am also familiar with radiation instrumentation. Would I be able to get a job after completion of Masters in Radiation Physics? I will be eligible to take part 1 of CHP exam after completing the masters program. However how good is the job market for radiation health physics? $27000.00 is a big investment for masters in radiation physics degree.

1. What is radiation health physics?

Radiation health physics is the study of the effects of radiation on human health and the environment. It involves understanding the sources of radiation, how it interacts with matter, and how to protect individuals and communities from its harmful effects.

2. How does radiation affect the human body?

Radiation can damage cells and DNA, leading to potential health effects such as cancer and genetic mutations. The severity of these effects depends on the type of radiation, the dose received, and the duration of exposure.

3. What are the different types of radiation?

The three main types of radiation are alpha, beta, and gamma. Alpha particles are large and easily blocked by skin, beta particles are smaller and can penetrate through the body, and gamma rays are the most penetrating and can travel through the body and other materials.

4. How is radiation exposure measured?

Radiation exposure is measured in units of sieverts (Sv) or millisieverts (mSv). This unit takes into account the type of radiation and its potential biological effects. The average person is exposed to about 3 mSv of radiation per year from natural sources.

5. How do we protect ourselves from radiation?

There are various ways to protect ourselves from radiation, such as using shielding materials, maintaining distance from sources, and limiting exposure time. In addition, proper monitoring and safety measures should be in place for individuals who work with radiation on a regular basis.