Radioactive Decay - working out activity

In summary, the initial activity of Thorium-234 is 3.34 × 10 17 Bq, and it will decay by 2.86 × 10 17 Bq over the course of two weeks.
FaraDazed

Homework Statement

If you have 500g of Thorium-234 at t=0. Calculate the initial activity and the activity after 2 weeks. The half life of thorium-234 is 24 days.

Homework Equations

[itex]A=A_0e^{-\lambda t} \\
A_0=\lambda N_0 \\
\lambda=\frac{ln2}{t_{\frac{1}{2}}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For the intial activity I first found lambda by converting 24 days into seconds.

[itex]
\lambda=\frac{ln2}{60 \times 60 \times 24 \times 24}=\frac{ln2}{2073600}=3.34 \times 10^{-7} \\[/itex]

Then used the second relevant equation listed above by calculating N_0 with the known data (converting to number of moles and then times by Avogadros number).
[itex]
A_0=\lambda N_0=(3.34 \times 10^{-7})(\frac{500}{234})(6.02 \times 10^{23})=4.29 \times 10^{17} Bq
[/itex]

Then after knowing A_0 i can calculate the activity after 2 weeks, with the first relevant equation listed but converting 2 weeks into seconds.
[itex]
A=A_0e^{-\lambda t}=(4.29 \times 10^{17})e^{(3.34 \times 10^{-7})(1209600)}=2.86 \times 10^{17} Bq
[/itex]

My problem is with my answers, they seem way way too high. I was told in a lecture it is very unusual to ever go above a micro Bq.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Haven't checked the math, but I think you have it the other way around, a Bq is a very small unit of radioactivity. It's true that background counts should be less than a Bq, but when you're talking about radioisotopes, you're definitely talking about much more than a Bq.

Curious3141 said:
Haven't checked the math, but I think you have it the other way around, a Bq is a very small unit of radioactivity. It's true that background counts should be less than a Bq, but when you're talking about radioisotopes, you're definitely talking about much more than a Bq.

Right, that could be it. He was talking about a unit called the curie too at the same time but didnt quite understand what he said as he went over it very quickly but from what he said I got the impression that 1Bq=1Cu but that they usually say Bq these days.

It may be that they are not equal and that he meant that its unusual to ever get a reading of over 1Cu and not 1Bq.

FaraDazed said:
Right, that could be it. He was talking about a unit called the curie too at the same time but didnt quite understand what he said as he went over it very quickly but from what he said I got the impression that 1Bq=1Cu but that they usually say Bq these days.

It may be that they are not equal and that he meant that its unusual to ever get a reading of over 1Cu and not 1Bq.

A Cu is a MUCH bigger unit than a Bq.

27pCu (that's picoCurie)= 1Bq

Curious3141 said:
A Cu is a MUCH bigger unit than a Bq.

27pCu (that's picoCurie)= 1Bq

That makes sense then and why my answers are so high, I was getting Bq and Cu mixed up. Do you think my answers are correct?

yes, they sound ok ... if you would ever have 500 grams of 234Th!
(why do you use "Bq" if it is confusing, rather than the straightforward "decay/sec")

1. What is radioactive decay?

Radioactive decay is the process by which an unstable atomic nucleus loses energy by emitting radiation, such as alpha, beta, or gamma particles, and transforms into a more stable form.

2. How is the activity of a radioactive substance calculated?

The activity of a radioactive substance is calculated using the equation A = λN, where A is the activity, λ is the decay constant, and N is the number of radioactive nuclei.

3. What unit is used to measure activity?

The unit of activity is the becquerel (Bq), which represents one radioactive decay per second. Another commonly used unit is the curie (Ci), which represents 3.7 x 10^10 radioactive decays per second.

4. How does the half-life of a substance affect its activity?

The half-life of a substance is the amount of time it takes for half of the radioactive nuclei to decay. As the half-life increases, the activity decreases, since there are fewer radioactive nuclei remaining to decay.

5. What factors can influence the activity of a radioactive substance?

The activity of a radioactive substance can be influenced by factors such as the initial amount of the substance, the type of radiation emitted, and the half-life of the substance. Other external factors, such as temperature and pressure, can also affect the rate of decay and therefore the activity of the substance.