Radiofrequency communication through tissue

In summary: I will look into RF Pill Transponder.In summary, a researcher is using a Piezo sensor to detect bone cracks and then plans to transmit data using Radio Frequency technology. The receiver will be attached to the skin. The researcher is unsure of which type of transmitter and receiver to buy, and is looking for help from others. 2.550 GHz is an easy frequency to work with and is effective through skin.
mit_cool
Hello,
I am a Biologist currently working on a Biocommunication related project.
To explain the project, I am going to use a Piezo sensor attached to the bone and it can detect bone cracks using EMI. I would first energize Piezo sensor with certain frquencies and it generates Ultrasonic waves that can detect crack. However after detection, I want to transmit the data over the muscle and skin using Radio-frequency technology.
I am thinking to attach one RF transmitter to the sensor at the bone and keep the receiver at the skin.

As a newbie, I have no idea which kind of transmitter and receiver I should buy and use.

Would be great if anyone can help.

Thanks,
Mit

Engineering news on Phys.org
I googled the title of this thread, and got lots of useful hits:

https://www.google.com/search?q=rf+communication+through+tissue&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

There are a number of good articles about RF transmission through tissues (and other body structures), like this one:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3715232/

I'm not sure there is an off-the-shelf system that you can just buy to use. Do you have any EEs on your team who could build something up once you settle on the most appropriate RF band to use?

Many thanks. I will check the articles to understand the RF communication through tissue.

mit_cool said:
Hello,
I am a Biologist currently working on a Biocommunication related project.
To explain the project, I am going to use a Piezo sensor attached to the bone and it can detect bone cracks using EMI. I would first energize Piezo sensor with certain frquencies and it generates Ultrasonic waves that can detect crack. However after detection, I want to transmit the data over the muscle and skin using Radio-frequency technology.
I am thinking to attach one RF transmitter to the sensor at the bone and keep the receiver at the skin.

As a newbie, I have no idea which kind of transmitter and receiver I should buy and use.

Would be great if anyone can help.

Thanks,
Mit
2.550 GHz is easy to work with and works well trough skin. I'd suggest looking around on NCBI as well.

Many Thanks

Likes berkeman
mit_cool said:
It would help to know if your ultrasonic generator and detector are based on a pulse, a chirp or continuous wave.
Is the detected signal an analog or digital signal?
What is the bandwidth of the detected ultrasonic signal?
Any signal will pass through tissue given sufficient power. The antenna design will need to be considered carefully.

An IC design engineer that used to work here had previously helped to design the IC that went into a small pill that was swallowed by the patient. It transmitted data as it passed through the patient, and was eliminated smoothly along with other solid waste. He doesn't work here any more, and unfortunately I don't remember the name of the company that he did it for.

But I did a Goggle search just now for RF Pill Transponder, and got some good hits. Maybe have a look at the hit list to see if it helps in your investigation:

https://www.google.com/search?q=rf+pill+transponder&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

Likes dlgoff and anorlunda
Baluncore said:
It would help to know if your ultrasonic generator and detector are based on a pulse, a chirp or continuous wave.
Is the detected signal an analog or digital signal?
What is the bandwidth of the detected ultrasonic signal?
Any signal will pass through tissue given sufficient power. The antenna design will need to be considered carefully.

Hi. The generated signal is Continuous Analog wave between the range of 40 to 250 Khz.

berkeman said:
An IC design engineer that used to work here had previously helped to design the IC that went into a small pill that was swallowed by the patient. It transmitted data as it passed through the patient, and was eliminated smoothly along with other solid waste. He doesn't work here any more, and unfortunately I don't remember the name of the company that he did it for.

But I did a Goggle search just now for RF Pill Transponder, and got some good hits. Maybe have a look at the hit list to see if it helps in your investigation:

https://www.google.com/search?q=rf+pill+transponder&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1
Thanks

1. What is radiofrequency communication through tissue?

Radiofrequency communication through tissue is a method of transmitting signals wirelessly through the human body using radio waves. It involves the use of antennas and receivers to send and receive signals through the body's tissues.

2. How does radiofrequency communication through tissue work?

Radiofrequency communication through tissue works by using radio waves to transmit signals through the body's tissues. These waves are sent and received by antennas, which convert the signals into electrical impulses that can be interpreted by devices such as smartphones or medical equipment.

3. What are the applications of radiofrequency communication through tissue?

Radiofrequency communication through tissue has various applications, including medical monitoring and treatment, implantable devices, and wireless body area networks. It is also being researched for use in biometric identification and gesture control technology.

4. Is radiofrequency communication through tissue safe?

The safety of radiofrequency communication through tissue is a topic of ongoing research. While some studies have shown potential health risks associated with prolonged exposure to radiofrequency energy, others have found it to be safe for use in certain medical and technological applications.

5. What are the limitations of radiofrequency communication through tissue?

One limitation of radiofrequency communication through tissue is the potential for signal interference from surrounding objects or tissues. It also has a limited range and may be affected by factors such as body movement and tissue composition. Additionally, there are concerns about the potential for health risks associated with long-term exposure to radiofrequency energy.