How Do You Calculate Error with a Single Measurement in Physics Lab Reports?

In summary: You need multiple measurements to calculate it.In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of incorrect error analysis in lab reports and specifically, how to find the random error related to mass when only a single measurement is taken. The suggested solutions include checking the documentation of the measuring device and using the propagation of errors for computed values. However, it is clarified that the standard deviation for a single measurement is undefined and multiple measurements are needed to calculate it.
Derik
I'm currently in first year engineering and I seem to be struggling with Physics, which is not unlikely uncommon. A simple problem I've come across is not doing correct error analysis when writing up lab reports. In my current lab, which is justifying the relationship of angular frequency, force, mass and radius in centripetal motion, a portion of the questions ask to analyze different sources of random error; one of which being random error related to the mass. Since I didn't take multiple measurements of the same mass, how would I go about finding a mean and standard deviation? It doesn't make any sense to me to compare masses of two completely different apparatus setups, so am I looking at the problem wrong or did I just make an error by not taking multiple measurements (which the lab specifically says to do when it's required)?

Would really appreciate the help and can definitely go more in depth or even supply some lab data if it's required.

Thanks

Edit: Disregard the picture, too long of a story to explain :^)

Physics news on Phys.org
Derik said:
Since I didn't take multiple measurements of the same mass, how would I go about finding a mean and standard deviation?
Hi Derik, welcome to PF!

The only other way I know is to look into the documentation of the measuring device and hope that the manufacturer tested and reported the device's measurement error.

Dale said:
Hi Derik, welcome to PF!

The only other way I know is to look into the documentation of the measuring device and hope that the manufacturer tested and reported the device's measurement error.
I do in fact have measurement errors, but how would I derive the random error using standard deviation?

Derik said:
I do in fact have measurement errors, but how would I derive the random error using standard deviation?
The standard deviation of the measurement is the "random error" of the measurement.

If you have to perform any computations using the measured value then you can estimate the standard deviation of the computed value through the propagation of errors.

Dale said:
The standard deviation of the measurement is the "random error" of the measurement.

If you have to perform any computations using the measured value then you can estimate the standard deviation of the computed value through the propagation of errors.
I mis-worded that. I do understand that the standard deviation of the measurement is the random error, but I'm wondering how I'm actually supposed to calculate it (as easy at that sounds). Let's say for example that my mass measurements have an uncertainty of +/- 0.05g and the measurement is arbitrarily 100g, a second measurement using a different apparatus setup is 200g +/- 0.05g. I know the equations used to find the standard mean, standard deviation and the deviation from mean, but I don't know how to do it with a single measurement. For example, I calculated the standard deviation from mean for my angular frequency; the difference is that I had 3 measurements for the same test.

Derik said:
I don't know how to do it with a single measurement.
You can't. The standard deviation for a single measurement is undefined.

1. What is random error in a lab report?

Random error in a lab report refers to the unpredictable and uncontrollable variations or deviations from the true value of a measurement. It is caused by factors such as human error, equipment limitations, and environmental conditions.

2. How does random error differ from systematic error?

Random error is different from systematic error in that it affects the accuracy of measurements by introducing variations, while systematic error affects the precision of measurements by consistently skewing the results in one direction.

3. How can random error be minimized or reduced?

To minimize or reduce random error, scientists can take multiple measurements and calculate the average or use statistical analysis to identify and remove outlier data points. Proper calibration and maintenance of equipment can also help reduce random error.

4. Can random error be completely eliminated in a lab experiment?

No, it is not possible to completely eliminate random error in a lab experiment. However, by taking multiple measurements and using appropriate statistical techniques, scientists can reduce its impact on the overall results.

5. How does random error affect the reliability and validity of a lab report?

Random error can decrease the reliability of a lab report by introducing variations in the data and making it difficult to replicate the results. However, if properly identified and accounted for, random error does not affect the validity of a lab report as it is a natural part of the experimental process.