Random Thoughts 7

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
I ran into a former advisor from college. I remember once , asking him for advice, he seemed intensely, deeply focused, interested on what I was saying. Until, some 5 minutes into the meet, he shouted " Hypochondriac, that's it, hypochondriac ".

• Haha
Likes difalcojr
Physics news on Phys.org
Only IT (anti-support) industry can be so lame that even after years of struggle with the frequent black screens of faulty docking stations (of a hyped, but apparently crappy brand) they still blame the user and believe that just one more FW update will miraculously solve the issue.

For any other industry, those offices would be long burned down by and with complaints.

Rive said:
Only IT (anti-support) industry can be so lame that even after years of struggle with the frequent black screens of faulty docking stations (of a hyped, but apparently crappy brand) they still blame the user and believe that just one more FW update will miraculously solve the issue.

For any other industry, those offices would be long burned down by and with complaints.
The messages in black/blue screen used to read along " Windows has experienced a problem and will be shutting down", to " Your PC has experienced a problem and will be shutting down". So I guess Windows' IT group is not quite better at taking responsibility.

Why teenagers should not be allowed to drive high performance vehicles. A 19-year old driver flips a Porsche Taycan 6 times after crashing at 100 mph. Judging from the limited view of the neighborhood, I expect the speed limit was about 35 mph (56 kmph)

MSRP : From $111,100, base model

• Wow
Likes collinsmark and Ibix
I have been away from this thread for a long time!
kyphysics said:
Dick's House of Sports store seems an awful waste of space.
If you want to hear an off-color and political joke about Dick's stores, message me.
Astronuc said:
Two passenger planes hit over 800 mph on recent flights due to strong winds. That's over 200 mph more than a typical plane ride.

Cruising speed is about 550-600 mph, and a 250-200 mph tail wind gets the ground speed up to 800 mph. Nothing special here. The air speed was normal, and the aircraft were not traveling at 800 mph in the air, but with respect to ground. I've flown in airliners before where the speed was 600 to 650 mph - easy when traveling eastward with the jet stream. Sometimes, one arrives well in advance and sits on the tarmac waiting for a gate.
I had the opposite: an east to west flight from Hartford CT to Phoenix, AZ. The flight just went on and on and on. Finally, I asked the flight attendant "what's going on, we should have landed over an hour ago." She said the captain told them we were flying directly into a 250 mph headwind. So, our groundspeed was ~350 mph. That's 560 kph to you guys (BDL to PHX is 2200 miles, 3540 km).

I have the unenviable task of working with Sharepoint 2019 at work. So, while it will allow you to load hundreds of thousands of records, it will break the ability to view them if you have more than 5000. It seems that you have to create special views that greatly limit how many records can be viewed. If I want to look at other records, I have to create over 20+ views if I have 100K records???? What a worthless piece of junk!

• Wow
Likes Ibix and Astronuc
gmax137 said:
I have been away from this thread for a long time!

If you want to hear an off-color and political joke about Dick's stores, message me.

I had the opposite: an east to west flight from Hartford CT to Phoenix, AZ. The flight just went on and on and on. Finally, I asked the flight attendant "what's going on, we should have landed over an hour ago." She said the captain told them we were flying directly into a 250 mph headwind. So, our groundspeed was ~350 mph. That's 560 kph to you guys (BDL to PHX is 2200 miles, 3540 km).
I was on a flight from Europe to US, with a headwind. I don't remember the speed, but probably > 100 mph, possibly ~150 mph. The flight was supposed to be 6.5 hrs, but it lasted 9 hours (2.5 hours late). Engines were roaring and it seemed we were going slower than we should have given the sound of the engines.

Likes gmax137
Baltimore's Francis Scott Key Bridge (I-695) collapses after ship collision; 2 rescued, search continues
https://news.yahoo.com/baltimore-bridge-partially-collapses-collusion-075148049.html
https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/baltimore-bridge-collapse-03-26-24-intl-hnk/index.html
"All lanes closed both directions for incident on I-695 Key Bridge," the Maryland Transportation Authority (MDTA) said on X early Tuesday. "Traffic is being detoured."

Quite an understatement given that the bridge collapsed.

The ship his one of the piers. From the image, it looks like pier on the south side of the main span, south of the channel where the boat was supposed to be, if it was underway. Someone screwed up big time!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Scott_Key_Bridge_(Baltimore)

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/03/26/us/baltimore-bridge-collapse

It looks like the ship changed course in the last minutes and veered into the bridge. It seems like they were on course to pass under the main span - in the appropriate channel.

https://news.yahoo.com/live/baltimo...after-container-ship-collision-114855033.html

Update: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a...scale-of-cargo-ship-crash-tragedy/ss-BB1kzubb

Bridge not appropriately protected
Problematic ship/crew
What was the pilot doing?
Where were the tugboats to realign the ship when it lost power?

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes BillTre
Well,..., second...sixteenth seventeenth time's the charm; t-tax is getting a veerrryyyy nasty/letter/review...given that I'm eventually successful.

Astronuc said:
Baltimore's Francis Scott Key Bridge (I-695) collapses after ship collision; 2 rescued, search continues
https://news.yahoo.com/baltimore-bridge-partially-collapses-collusion-075148049.html
https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/baltimore-bridge-collapse-03-26-24-intl-hnk/index.html

Quite an understatement given that the bridge collapsed.

The ship his one of the piers. From the image, it looks like pier on the south side of the main span, south of the channel where the boat was supposed to be, if it was underway. Someone screwed up big time!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Scott_Key_Bridge_(Baltimore)

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/03/26/us/baltimore-bridge-collapse

It looks like the ship changed course in the last minutes and veered into the bridge. It seems like they were on course to pass under the main span - in the appropriate channel.

https://news.yahoo.com/live/baltimo...after-container-ship-collision-114855033.html

Update: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a...scale-of-cargo-ship-crash-tragedy/ss-BB1kzubb

Bridge not appropriately protected
Problematic ship/crew
What was the pilot doing?
Where were the tugboats to realign the ship when it lost power?
In the video I saw of the ship approach, a LARGE puff of black smoke was emitted. The voice-over also stated that a mayday was broadcast that control of the ship had been lost and they were heading toward a bridge support.

Authorities shutdown vehicle access to the bridge from both directions, preventing any more cars from getting on the bridge (and getting wet).

1) Big puff of black smoke from ship
2) Loss of ship control
3) Reported to the harbor office
Speculation: Blown engine

Sounds like good decisions by several people in a bad situation.

Cheers,
Tom

Astronuc said:
Why teenagers should not be allowed to drive high performance vehicles. A 19-year old driver flips a Porsche Taycan 6 times after crashing at 100 mph. Judging from the limited view of the neighborhood, I expect the speed limit was about 35 mph (56 kmph)

MSRP : From $111,100, base model

I drive past a high school on the way home and really hate it when I'm driving home when school lets out. I was nearly T-Boned yesterday when I started to enter an intersection and a driver went through their red light at over 60 MPH in a 30 MPH zone.

Tom.G said:
In the video I saw of the ship approach, a LARGE puff of black smoke was emitted. The voice-over also stated that a mayday was broadcast that control of the ship had been lost and they were heading toward a bridge support.

Authorities shutdown vehicle access to the bridge from both directions, preventing any more cars from getting on the bridge (and getting wet).

1) Big puff of black smoke from ship
2) Loss of ship control
3) Reported to the harbor office
Speculation: Blown engine

Sounds like good decisions by several people in a bad situation.

Cheers,
Tom

I was thinking more in terms of protecting the bridge from vessel strikes (civil/marine engineering), and preventing vessel strikes (marine vessel engineering).

I found the answer about the pilot

TRADE ASSOCIATION DIRECTOR SAYS SHIP'S PILOT TRIED TO SLOW DOWN

The pilot of the ship that caused the Baltimore bridge collapse tried to slow it down before the crash, the head of a trade association for maritime pilots said.

Clay Diamond, executive director of the American Pilots’ Association, said he has been in close contact with officials from the Association of Maryland Pilots who described to him what happened as the ship approached the bridge. He said when the ship was a few minutes out, it lost all power, including to its engines.

The pilot immediately ordered the rudder hard to port to keep the ship from turning right and ordered the port anchor be dropped, which it was, Diamond said. The pilot also contacted a dispatch office to get the bridge shut down.

Diamond said widely circulated images show the ship’s lights turning off and then back on, sparking questions about whether the vessel had regained power. But, he said, the emergency generators that kicked in turned the lights back on but not the ship’s propulsion.
From - https://news.yahoo.com/news/live-updates-governor-ship-reported-143614239.html

One would think that emergency generators would ensure control (navigation) of the ship - but in this case, No! Flawed engineering.

At least the rudder should have been powered. Had the rudder been able to move to port, then perhaps the ship would not have hit the pier. It appeared from one plot, that ship was headed straight down the middle, until it veered slightly right (starboard) and straight toward the southern pier of the main span.

Edit/update: Dali apparently had engine/power problems while berthed. Maybe it shouldn't have left port. I've heard speculation about dirty/contaminated fuel.

Some analysis. The black smoke from it's funnel indicates a breeze, possibly to the south or SW. That may have contributed to the ship very toward the south pier of the bridge. Until power lost, and even slightly after, the ship was left of center in the correct channel. Two tugboats had left the Dali as it completed its turn to line up with the channel.

Last edited:
So Tatiana, in one of the former Soviet republics, is looking for a partner and starts with an Aloha , and includes 3 attachments in her emails. Surely I will open those ASAP, Tatiana, you're looking for love in all the wrong places, Tati.

• Haha
  • Sad
Likes Rive and Astronuc
WWGD said:
So Tatiana, in one of the former Soviet republics, is looking for a partner and starts with an Aloha , and includes 3 attachments in her emails.
I wonder whether this kind of fishing could be snuffed out by some kind of regular 'official spam' of same manner with only a warning and educational explanation attached ...

I know, there are all those ethical considerations, but honestly, for me it would mean just a bit more stuffed spam folder. I could accept that much inconvenience for the greater good.

Likes WWGD
Rive said:
I wonder whether this kind of fishing could be snuffed out by some kind of regular 'official spam' of same manner with only a warning and educational explanation attached ...
I think I read on here about someone whose printer suddenly spat out a sheet of paper from their friendly neighbourhood hacker pointing out that they might want to secure their network a bit...

Rive said:

I know, there are all those ethical considerations, but honestly, for me it would mean just a bit more stuffed spam folder. I could accept that much inconvenience for the greater good.
I doubt Microsoft puts much effort into its spam filtering. Its proportion of false positives, negatives has likely increased.

Talking about Outlook, there's too, the charming fact that emails randomly decide to render , display, in odd ways. For one, font size magically increasing up to 15, without the option of lowering it. Other features are disabled, so I can't slide the screen up nor down, sideways, so I cant read most of the message. Ive read that main issue is Outlook doesnt use a fixed set of protocols for rendering messages. Ends up turning emails into like a sort of image file cut to half the screen . Somehow it seemed like a good idea to open an account in the mid-2000's.

Ibix said:
friendly neighbourhood hacker
I'm not particularly fond of the whole 'ethical hacker' thing at all, but some artificial spam of educational purposes and without harm would not make much fuss, I think.

I run into this guy from time to time. It's like a routine : "Ah, you're still doing Math, guy, what are you up to now, Calc 23? " ( Or insert your number. A Natural number for now).

Last edited:
Interesting phrase I ran into today:

"It's not its, it's it's "

• Informative
Likes Tom.G
Dang Kansas weather. :frown: Thunder storms all around and I'm in a Tornado watch.

• Care
Likes collinsmark
Did/Should we have PSA , a la TIL? Just got an interesting item on Outlook that I should notify them if I wanted to be removed from notification lists, terse to point of unintelligibility; sh*t-canned immediately if not sooner, but ... something a bit off about it ... AI-Frankenstein-phish-sockpuppet-troll hybrid.

Likes WWGD
Bystander said:
Did/Should we have PSA , a la TIL? Just got an interesting item on Outlook that I should notify them if I wanted to be removed from notification lists, terse to point of unintelligibility; sh*t-canned immediately if not sooner, but ... something a bit off about it ... AI-Frankenstein-phish-sockpuppet-troll hybrid.
I've been asked to provide my email to unregister. Hmm. But, then again, I've had HR who've told me they found my CV interesting, to send them a copy of it as an attachment.

Last edited:
Likes Bystander
Just noticed: the aggressive beggars of the underpasses never tries their luck with the bible-thumpers of the underpasses. :doh:

Today, while working on a word document, MS auto-generated Alt-Text when I inserted an image. I'll have to go figure out where that setting is and turn it off.

Just did it again. Forgot to use a private window for checking a sudden interest (proved to be useless as the digging went on) on youtube, and now the starting page is wrecked with random trash, with barely anything left from the type of content I'm actually interested in :doh:

Usually takes weeks to recover 😰

Wonder if there's an actual connection with Physics from this British band " Dead or Alive". Specially re their hit " You Spin me right round".' Dead or Alive' , re Schrodinger, then ' Spin' . Just a coincidence? Did a bit of reading on it, couldn't confirm nor deny.

WWGD said:
Talking about Outlook, there's too, the charming fact that emails randomly decide to render , display, in odd ways. For one, font size magically increasing up to 15, without the option of lowering it. Other features are disabled, so I can't slide the screen up nor down, sideways, so I cant read most of the message. Ive read that main issue is Outlook doesnt use a fixed set of protocols for rendering messages. Ends up turning emails into like a sort of image file cut to half the screen . Somehow it seemed like a good idea to open an account in the mid-2000's.
Just FYI, desktop Outlook does not have any of those problems, so they KNOW how to get it right but it's probably a Windows vs Android thing.

Likes WWGD
change-the-future.jpg

• Love
Likes pinball1970, collinsmark, Borg and 3 others
Granted some scientists should improve their knowledge of the Humanities. But the converse is true as well.

phinds said:
Just FYI, desktop Outlook does not have any of those problems, so they KNOW how to get it right but it's probably a Windows vs Android thing.
Any chance you, anyone, knows how to prevent a website from opening a new tab for every thing one does? I've looked it up but found no worksble solutions for my Samsung Android.

WWGD said:
Any chance you, anyone, knows how to prevent a website from opening a new tab for every thing one does? I've looked it up but found no worksble solutions for my Samsung Android.
If you have a URL for the site you want to open, just paste that URL in the address bar of an existing tab that you are OK with overwriting. Or, you can open in a new WINDOW instead of a new tab.

Likes WWGD