What Are the Unknown Forces Shaping Our Random Thoughts?

In summary, when you work out, you need to focus on your breathing in order to maintain concentration. This is especially important when you are transitioning from high intensity to moderate.
frost_zero
The weird thoughts you have at random times

Physics news on Phys.org
After you die, you'll still receive emails for years.
renderTimingPixel.png

• Haha
Likes PhDeezNutz, DAH, dlgoff and 4 others
frost_zero said:
The weird thoughts you have at random times
From the thread title I assumed the OP meant taking a shower; i.e., bathing, alters one's thought process.

The sentence fragment in the first post seems to refer to a 'cascade' of irrelevant realizations as in the thread titled "Random Thoughts".
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/random-thoughts-part-6.875108/

Taking the former meaning, I often find that showering and swimming focuses my thinking; analogous to, yet different from, one's state of mind while falling asleep. Extraneous thoughts fall away allowing one to realize the 'nuggets' or a central theme.

Klystron said:
swimming focuses my thinking
That's funny, my swim workouts do just the opposite. I need to concentrate so much on my stroke and turns during the workout that I really can't think about anything else. For me getting each stroke through the water optimized and hitting each turn with a good glide out of the turn takes all my concentration. In a way it's good for me because it clears the clutter out of my mind for an hour or so. :smile:

• Informative
Likes Wrichik Basu, Ivan Seeking, Keith_McClary and 1 other person
berkeman said:
That's funny, my swim workouts do just the opposite. I need to concentrate so much on my stroke and turns during the workout that I really can't think about anything else. For me getting each stroke through the water optimized and hitting each turn with a good glide out of the turn takes all my concentration. In a way it's good for me because it clears the clutter out of my mind for an hour or so. :smile:
True for me when beginning a swim session but once in the groove, my body operates on autopilot leaving the contemplative part of my mind to wrestle with knotty problems. I no longer use the wall for turns, instead turning sideways; slower but easier on back and legs. I also wear mask, snorkel and swim fins; so technically snorkeling according to my swim buddies.

My contemplative approach only works with regulated swim lanes or in a private pool. Public pools require constant vigilance to avoid collisions and intrusive 'cannonballs'. 😅

Likes berkeman
The sun could have exploded at this moment and you wouldn't know it until 8 minutes have passed

I remember reading something a while back about how we never let our minds go blank now. We never leave space for random, creative thoughts. Instead we pick up the mobile phone and start scrolling through anything to occupy our minds.

Maybe shower time is the only time left most of us have to think creatively.

Likes frost_zero, Klystron and Hamiltonian
Hamiltonian299792458 said:
After you die, you'll still receive emails for years.
And people will respond to your PF posts.

• Haha
Likes PhDeezNutz, hutchphd, dlgoff and 3 others
berkeman said:
When I work out, I focus entirely on my breathing and my level of fatigue [oxygenation of the muscles and glycogen levels]. I do HIIT and keep myself right at my physical limit, which requires 100% of my attention. It is very Zen and helps to clear my mind of the clutter from the day.

PS: In HIIT you keep going from aerobic, to anaerobic, and back again.

Last edited:
Likes BillTre
frost_zero said:
The sun could have exploded at this moment and you wouldn't know it until 8 minutes have passed
It did.

7:59, 7:58...

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
Ivan Seeking said:
When I work out, I focus entirely on my breathing and my level of fatigue [oxygenation of the muscles and glycogen levels]. I do HIIT and keep myself right at my physical limit, which requires 100% of my attention. It is very Zen and helps to clear my mind of the clutter from the day.

PS: In HIIT you keep going from aerobic, to anaerobic, and back again.
When I transition from high intensity to moderate, sometimes I forget that I won't breathe hard enough naturally. I have to force myself to keep breathing as hard as I can. Sometimes my focus lapses for a moment and quickly I feel that sense of panic you get when the muscles aren't getting enough oxygen. "Oh crp! Breathe!!! Breathe!!!" LOL!

Breathing as hard as you can [without gasping] for 25 minutes is exercise in its own right!

Ivan Seeking said:
When I transition from high intensity to moderate, sometimes I forget that I won't breathe hard enough naturally. I have to force myself to keep breathing as hard as I can. Sometimes my focus lapses for a moment and quickly I feel that sense of panic you get when the muscles aren't getting enough oxygen. "Oh crp! Breathe!!! Breathe!!!" LOL!

Breathing as hard as you can [without gasping] for 25 minutes is exercise in its own right!
Not breathing for 25 minutes straight is even harder on you!

-Dan

• Haha
Likes BillTre
Music usually but bath rather than shower.

topsquark said:
Not breathing for 25 minutes straight is even harder on you!

-Dan
Only for the first 3 minutes or so.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes BillTre, PhDeezNutz, Wrichik Basu and 3 others
How can you determine the increase in temperature due to heating, for a volume of water in a sealed, insulated container, if you can't measure the temperature change or have any knowledge of the heater.

Ivan Seeking said:
How can you determine the increase in temperature due to heating, for a volume of water in a sealed container, if you can't measure the temperature change or have any knowledge of the heater.
Hire someone.

Frabjous said:
Hire someone.
How do they do it? ;)

Ivan Seeking said:
How do they do it? ;)
They are not restricted by the problem conditions. :wink:

Ivan Seeking said:
How can you determine the increase in temperature due to heating, for a volume of water in a sealed, insulated container, if you can't measure the temperature change or have any knowledge of the heater.
bump

Thinking about it, you could measure the change in size of the container to back out thermal expansion of fluid, or you could use the volume as a heat source of something that you are allowed to measure or since it is insulated, 0.

Frabjous said:
Thinking about it, you could measure the change in size of the container to back out thermal expansion of fluid, or you could use the volume as a heat source of something that you are allowed to measure or since it is insulated, 0.
Assume it's a rigid container. And using the volume to heat something else wouldn't work. The container is sealed and insulated. Nice try but no cigar. :cool:

Measure the pressure in that sealed container; it is proportional to temperature.
(The shape of the curve is left as an exercise for the reader. :wink:)

Tom.G said:
Measure the pressure in that sealed container; it is proportional to temperature.
if it is a perfectly rigid container then the curve is vertical.

Shucks. I guess I'll never get the chance to inflict the Orthoschnapp Gambit on someone... :devil:

Tom.G said:
You have to make a hole to insert a pressure probe. So, you have violated the seal.

Ivan Seeking said:
You have to make a hole to insert a pressure probe. So, you have violated the seal.
Since e = mc2, a rise in temperature would be a rise in energy would be a rise in mass.
You'd just need a very very fancy scale.

• Haha
Likes collinsmark, Ivan Seeking and topsquark
OmCheeto said:
Since e = mc2, a rise in temperature would be a rise in energy would be a rise in mass.
Alas, no.

The container is sealed and insulated, the temperature has to go up by some internal method - one that doesn't rely on adding energy. Therefore the mass will remain unchanged.

(Have to run this by Ivan. He didn't specify where the heater is in the system, but hints seem to require it be internal. eg. No holes for probes...)

• Skeptical
Likes Ivan Seeking
Since the sample is contained in this magic immutable container, we will have to use extraordinary measures. I would pass a beam of neutrons through the container (block that, magic container!). While passing through the material, the neutrons would reach equilibrium with the material. Then I would look at the thermal spectrum of the exiting neutrons.

DaveC426913 said:
Alas, no.

The container is sealed and insulated, the temperature has to go up by some internal method - one that doesn't rely on adding energy. Therefore the mass will remain unchanged.

(Have to run this by Ivan. He didn't specify where the heater is in the system, but hints seem to require it be internal. eg. No holes for probes...)
Microwave oven?

Likes Ivan Seeking
Thought from today's shower: what if there were a Nobel prize for music?

Likes pinball1970 and OmCheeto
OmCheeto said:
Correct!

DaveC426913 said:
Alas, no.

It was constructed with wires protruding for a heating element, and then sealed. :) But you could simply shake it or swirl the water and raise the temperature as well. But as OM indicated, you would need a very, very, very sensitive scale. :oldbiggrin:

The mass increases due to the increased average speed of the molecules as the energy of the system increases.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
...But as OM indicated, you would need a very, very, very sensitive scale. :oldbiggrin:...
Perhaps we should get my ex-wife in here. She was very sensitive!

-Dan

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
PeroK said:
Thought from today's shower: what if there were a Nobel prize for music?
Well... what music has changed the world the most? (Outside of influencing other music?)

Algr said:
Well... what music has changed the world the most? (Outside of influencing other music?)
Depends on the era. Back in the 50's I'd say the beginning of the Rock era, and if you want to get a bit more modern I'd say that John Williams has had quite an effect on Symphony (though some don't actually like his influence.)

-Dan

Likes pinball1970