Random Thoughts part 6

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date

Evo

Mentor
Let's all applaud the History Channel for more fine documentaries! Tonight - Time Beings: Extreme Time Travel Conspiracies

Why? Why can't we have real documentaries? There is so much of interest in the past that is REAL.

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
Let's all applaud the History Channel for more fine documentaries! Tonight - Time Beings: Extreme Time Travel Conspiracies

Why? Why can't we have real documentaries? There is so much of interest in the past that is REAL.
And National Geographic has been sold to Fox ...

Evo

Mentor
And National Geographic has been sold to Fox ...
NOOOOOOOOOOOO, are you kidding??

OMG!! Well, that would explain some of the recent programming.

:cry:

I have no faith in this world anymore. The daft have the normal outnumbered by so many, the normal are now the abnormal.

Ibix

Science Advisor
Insights Author
Let's all applaud the History Channel for more fine documentaries! Tonight - Time Beings
According to an old Star Trek book there is only one Time Being, who is a blubbery lazy creature because everyone does things for it all the time...

Garlic

Gold Member
National geographic was already showing stuff like alien stories, and I could feel it was slowly turning into the discovery channel. I don't think there will be much difference if it was sold to fox (No offense natgeo fans)

collinsmark

Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hang in there, @Evo. :smile: I'm confident that logic (and genuine human curiosity & critical thinking) will win out eventually. Then again, I'm an optimist.

Ibix

Science Advisor
Insights Author
So I finally get far enough down my to-do list to investigate why the extractor fan in the hood over our kitchen cooker doesn't work too well. Maybe the inlet filter is clogged? I'll just pop off the inlet cover and... oh. Inside the inlet, blocking most of the duct leading to the actual fan, is a polythene bag containing the installation instructions and guarantee.

Problem solved.

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
Problem solved.
Congrats! But the interesting question is, however, was it one of the funny manuals translated from somewhere into English that contains one funny language construction after the other?

Ibix

Science Advisor
Insights Author
Most of it is in good English. There is one sheet of 1:1 scale "drill here" diagrams labelled in English, French, German, Spanish, Italian and what I think is Dutch.

Last edited:

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
Most of it is in good English. There is one sheet of 1:1 scale "drill here" diagrams labelled in English, French, German, Spanish, Italian and what I think is Dutch.
Like this?

My tea / café / Kaffee / el tinto / caffé / koffie!

Capture-One-24152-e1347397561704.jpg

What ? Irresistible,,,

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member
It seems Lions do not eat their own, i.e., Lions do not swallow their pride.

wolram

Gold Member
NOOOOOOOOOOOO, are you kidding??

OMG!! Well, that would explain some of the recent programming.

:cry:

I have no faith in this world anymore. The daft have the normal outnumbered by so many, the normal are now the abnormal.
Amen to that Evo.

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Is there a serious case of underemployment? For some reason delis seem to be cutting sandwiches made with square bread halfway through one side of the bread, instead of cutting the sandwich diagonally, which is the way I remember it. I asked this person why the halfway cut instead of the diagonal one and he replied: it is wrong; a diagonal cut provides more exposed surface than the half cut, by Pythagoras' theorem. Wow, a person cutting sandwiches knows how to apply Pythagoras and he can't find a better, higher-paying job?

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member
I was thrown off by a question while tutoring, around an hour ago. Sharp kid, while doing the standard proof of the infinitude of primes, the student asked me: if we did not consider 2 to be a prime, how would we change the proof, since the product ##[tex]p_1p_2....p_k +1 [/tex] ## will always be even? I will just tell him that I leave it as an exercise for him. EDIT: I just suggested that we may just add 2 to the product , instead of one, but I am feeling too lazy to make this into a through argument.

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
I guess it won't work with adding 2. If 2 were not prime then you would have the divisors of 2 in each summand and you would again need to add 1 in an additional step. (However, I'm lazy, too. Maybe I'm wrong.)

Garlic

Gold Member
I just realized that the PF symbol in the internet browser looks just like the PDG symbol.
pdg.png

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
I just realized that the PF symbol in the internet browser looks just like the PDG symbol.
View attachment 102003
And I just realized that your browser is as cluttered as mine :oldlaugh: But, yeah, those favicons really do look similar.

A sign of multitasking?

Garlic

Gold Member
And I just realized that your browser is as cluttered as mine :oldlaugh: But, yeah, those favicons really do look similar.
Usually I have up to 20 tabs open when I'm looking for something.. I don't close older tabs when I'm openning another one.

A sign of multitasking?
I don't think so. I can't even read a book while listenning to music. My brain works doing only one task at a time :frown:

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member
I guess it won't work with adding 2. If 2 were not prime then you would have the divisors of 2 in each summand and you would again need to add 1 in an additional step. (However, I'm lazy, too. Maybe I'm wrong.)
Well, two is an exception in that it has no proper divisors but it is still not consider a prime because it sort of is a prime by default. So it is prime because it has to, though it has no divisors. Pretty contrived.

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
Well, two is an exception in that it has no proper divisors but it is still not consider a prime because it sort of is a prime by default. So it is prime because it has to, though it has no divisors. Pretty contrived.
You mean in the same way like bananas are the least fruits among all fruits?

Ibix

Science Advisor
Insights Author
If we're asserting that 2 isn't prime, what are the prime factors of even numbers? Particularly powers of 2? That's the point I'd raise.