Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Random Thoughts part 6

1. Jun 10, 2016 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2016 #2

Evo

Let's all applaud the History Channel for more fine documentaries! Tonight - Time Beings: Extreme Time Travel Conspiracies

Why? Why can't we have real documentaries? There is so much of interest in the past that is REAL.

4. Jun 10, 2016 #3

fresh_42

And National Geographic has been sold to Fox ...

5. Jun 10, 2016 #4

Evo

NOOOOOOOOOOOO, are you kidding??

OMG!! Well, that would explain some of the recent programming.

:cry:

I have no faith in this world anymore. The daft have the normal outnumbered by so many, the normal are now the abnormal.

6. Jun 11, 2016 #5
    Who are you ? How come your friends are all VIPs ?

7. Jun 11, 2016 #6

Ibix

Science Advisor

According to an old Star Trek book there is only one Time Being, who is a blubbery lazy creature because everyone does things for it all the time...

8. Jun 11, 2016 #7

Garlic

Gold Member

National geographic was already showing stuff like alien stories, and I could feel it was slowly turning into the discovery channel. I don't think there will be much difference if it was sold to fox (No offense natgeo fans)

9. Jun 11, 2016 #8

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hang in there, @Evo. :smile: I'm confident that logic (and genuine human curiosity & critical thinking) will win out eventually. Then again, I'm an optimist.

10. Jun 11, 2016 #9

Ibix

Science Advisor

So I finally get far enough down my to-do list to investigate why the extractor fan in the hood over our kitchen cooker doesn't work too well. Maybe the inlet filter is clogged? I'll just pop off the inlet cover and... oh. Inside the inlet, blocking most of the duct leading to the actual fan, is a polythene bag containing the installation instructions and guarantee.

Problem solved.

11. Jun 11, 2016 #10

fresh_42

Congrats! But the interesting question is, however, was it one of the funny manuals translated from somewhere into English that contains one funny language construction after the other?

12. Jun 11, 2016 #11

Ibix

Science Advisor

Most of it is in good English. There is one sheet of 1:1 scale "drill here" diagrams labelled in English, French, German, Spanish, Italian and what I think is Dutch.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  13. Jun 11, 2016 #12

fresh_42

Like this?

My tea / café / Kaffee / el tinto / caffé / koffie!

Capture-One-24152-e1347397561704.jpg

14. Jun 11, 2016 #13
    What ? Irresistible,,,

15. Jun 11, 2016 #14

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It seems Lions do not eat their own, i.e., Lions do not swallow their pride.

16. Jun 12, 2016 #15
    Wrong topic ;-)

17. Jun 12, 2016 #16

wolram

Gold Member

Amen to that Evo.

18. Jun 12, 2016 #17

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is there a serious case of underemployment? For some reason delis seem to be cutting sandwiches made with square bread halfway through one side of the bread, instead of cutting the sandwich diagonally, which is the way I remember it. I asked this person why the halfway cut instead of the diagonal one and he replied: it is wrong; a diagonal cut provides more exposed surface than the half cut, by Pythagoras' theorem. Wow, a person cutting sandwiches knows how to apply Pythagoras and he can't find a better, higher-paying job?

19. Jun 12, 2016 #18

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was thrown off by a question while tutoring, around an hour ago. Sharp kid, while doing the standard proof of the infinitude of primes, the student asked me: if we did not consider 2 to be a prime, how would we change the proof, since the product ##[tex]p_1p_2....p_k +1 [/tex] ## will always be even? I will just tell him that I leave it as an exercise for him. EDIT: I just suggested that we may just add 2 to the product , instead of one, but I am feeling too lazy to make this into a through argument.

20. Jun 13, 2016 #19

fresh_42

I guess it won't work with adding 2. If 2 were not prime then you would have the divisors of 2 in each summand and you would again need to add 1 in an additional step. (However, I'm lazy, too. Maybe I'm wrong.)

21. Jun 13, 2016 #20

Garlic

Gold Member

I just realized that the PF symbol in the internet browser looks just like the PDG symbol.
    pdg.png

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted