Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again

In summary, the conversation revolved around various topics such as dreams, different numbering systems, and education in different countries. The participants shared personal experiences, opinions, and debated about the merits of different theories. The conversation also included a discussion about a book and a recipe.
  • #2,066
zoobyshoe said:
Two ambidextrous titles for a book: "The Left is Right" and "When You Come to a Fork in the Road, Take It." Should "The Left is Right" be held in the left or right hand when reading? ?

Hold it to a mirror?

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,067
Large vehicles

Likes 1oldman2
  • #2,068
Astronuc said:
Large vehicles

Wow, that is some extreme engineering, very cool. :thumbup:

• #2,069
I am really a pig. I was eating yogurt when the customer came and after he left I noticed I've got about half a teaspoon of disgusting yellow stuff on my nice new shirt.

• #2,071
Pepper Mint said:
You need a good screen for viewing those precious photos. :oldeyes:

Screengrab-from-Paul-smith.jpg

Likes 1oldman2 and Pepper Mint
  • #2,072
Borg said:
You need a good screen for viewing those precious photos. :oldeyes:

Screengrab-from-Paul-smith.jpg
Hilarious! :biggrin:

• #2,073
Two random stuff:

1. When you are asked to make a program and make the code very descriptive: :oldlaugh:
Code:
var buttonWhichWhenPressedWillDisplayAMessageToTheUserUsingAGtkMessageDialog = new Gtk.Button.with_label("Press me!");

2. Imagine for a moment that something terrible happens to the world and you wake up in Japan. There are more humans alive, but in miles you are the only one and you find this:
Would you be able to cook rice successfully if you didn't have the English labels?

Even if I were not to understand the Kanji I think I could, I mean, they are just buttons. Just have to experiment a little with them.​

Likes Sophia, Pepper Mint and 1oldman2
  • #2,074
Life is what happens when you're busy making plans. (Don't know the source)

When you have fat friends, there are no see saws, only catapults. Dimitri Martin

Likes Sophia, Pepper Mint, WWGD and 1 other person
  • #2,075
Another ambiguous headline: "You will never see more disgusting people" (a collection of pictures of people doing seriously disgusting things). What: where disgusting people all killed? Put in jail?

Likes Pepper Mint
  • #2,076
So, there was this show on National Geographic Channel last night about Bigfoot. They featured a scientist who ran the DNA of various hair samples people had submitted.

Two of the hair samples purported to have come from a Yeti turned out to be 100% Polar Bear DNA. These came from two separate places 800 miles apart in the Himalayas. Weird enough. But the really weird thing is that they weren't modern Polar Bears. The DNA matched the DNA that had been found in a 40,000 year old Polar Bear jaw bone somewhere in Sweden (IIRC).

So, it looks like the Yeti legend may be due to a thought-to-be-extinct Polar Bear that still roams the high Himalayas.

Likes Pepper Mint and Sophia
  • #2,077
Sometimes political correctness in law makes me furious (powerlessness against repeated crimes committed by underage members of certain communities who never get punished for anything).
Their arrogance knows no borders and they will laugh to your eyes you can't do anything to them, you can't catch them or you will be accused of traumatising them and is against their personal freedom. And when you let them go, no one will ever prove anything to them.
And than the little 10yr old brat had no shame to come and ask for a cigarette!

Likes Evo
  • #2,078
Psinter said:
Two random stuff:

1. When you are asked to make a program and make the code very descriptive: :oldlaugh:
Code:
var buttonWhichWhenPressedWillDisplayAMessageToTheUserUsingAGtkMessageDialog = new Gtk.Button.with_label("Press me!");

2. Imagine for a moment that something terrible happens to the world and you wake up in Japan. There are more humans alive, but in miles you are the only one and you find this:
Would you be able to cook rice successfully if you didn't have the English labels?

Even if I were not to understand the Kanji I think I could, I mean, they are just buttons. Just have to experiment a little with them.​
Item #5 I guess is probably about this! They look goody.

Sophia said:
Sometimes political correctness in law makes me furious (powerlessness against repeated crimes committed by underage members of certain communities who never get punished for anything).
Their arrogance knows no borders and they will laugh to your eyes you can't do anything to them, you can't catch them or you will be accused of traumatising them and is against their personal freedom. And when you let them go, no one will ever prove anything to them.
PC offers readers a good chance to evaluate their own power of imagination. I like it a lot particularly when it is used to amuse me.

Likes Psinter
  • #2,079
Sophia said:
If cigarettes were not so expensive, I would suggest spit on it and then offer it to him, to return the spite. Not very constructive,
but sometimes you need to let it out.

Likes Sophia
  • #2,080
How does one dress for a day that starts at 47 deg. and ends at 69 degrees?

• #2,081
WWGD said:
How does one dress for a day that starts at 47 deg. and ends at 69 degrees?
My go-to way of dressing:
  1. t-shirt under a plaid button down. Maybe a light sweater. If it's really cold, a trench coat on the top. That way, you can peal off layers.
  2. denim jeans (can't go wrong)
  3. classic Chuck Taylors (if it's cold, the hightops, if warm, the low tops)
  4. if you wear glasses, knit yourself some glass snuggies when it's chilly (I've yet to make mine)

Likes Psinter, Sophia and WWGD
  • #2,082
WWGD said:
If cigarettes were not so expensive, I would suggest spit on it and then offer it to him, to return the spite. Not very constructive,
but sometimes you need to let it out.
Hahaha :-) yes, that would be great! I would do that if I smoked! He asked for it because we sell them, not because he saw me smoking. But indeed maybe if they piss me again I will do it! :-D

Anyway, I'm in good mood today because it's a lovely sunny day. I just bought pretty pink headphones (alright, I'm a girl, so what? :-p you can laugh at my criteria :-) ), downloaded best songs from the 80s and 90s and will go for a long walk with my dog while listening to music.

Likes WWGD
  • #2,083
Sophia said:
Hahaha :-) yes, that would be great! I would do that if I smoked! He asked for it because we sell them, not because he saw me smoking. But indeed maybe if they piss me again I will do it! :-D

Anyway, I'm in good mood today because it's a lovely sunny day. I just bought pretty pink headphones (alright, I'm a girl, so what? :-p you can laugh at my criteria :-) ), downloaded best songs from the 80s and 90s and will go for a long walk with my dog while listening to music.

Sounds like a fun day. Enjoy :).

Likes Sophia
  • #2,084
Sophia said:
What is it they are doing? What is the law you'd be breaking by stopping them?

• #2,085
Pepper Mint said:
Item #5 I guess is probably about this! They look goody.
*mouth waters*
zoobyshoe said:
I don't know, probably everything.

• #2,086
With a friend like this - "North Korea threatens China with a 'nuclear storm'"
http://theweek.com/speedreads/615988/north-korea-threatens-china-nuclear-storm
"We must no longer go easy on the Chinese and instead deal with them equally in order to change their attitude of taking us lightly," the document reportedly reads, declaring China an "enemy state." Up until this point, the two nations had kept close ties since signing the Sino-North Korean Treaty of Friendship, Cooperation, and Mutual Assistance in 1961.

• #2,087
zoobyshoe said:
There is a metal box outside of the shop where we put unsold magazines so that the driver can pick them up in the morning and we get money back for them.
I put there one parcel but didn't lock the box because there were more magazines to tie and I went inside to do it. And these boys came, opened the box and cut the parcel with knife. They also stole stuff for about 10€ but what made me angry is that they cut some magazines just for fun. I went out cause I heard them and one of them was crying because the metal lid of the box fell on his hands.
They run away immediately.
I know them well because they come from time to time, knock on windows, kick the door and always ask for cigarettes and matches yelling and calling me names when I refuse. They wait for the bus outside and I see them play fighting with each other, they are very loud and make fun of people in the street.
This time my father went to local police and told them what they did and they said we should call them when they come again.
It is not allowed to catch a thief and for example lock him inside until the police comes. Once one man caught a thief which was a woman and it was all on camera. He didn't hurt her in any way, just locked her inside. He was accused of infringement of her personal freedom and had to pay for traumatising her.
So no, I can't touch them in any way. I would be afraid to do so anyway because I'm quite small and groups like these can be dangerous even when they are legally children.

• #2,088
Sophia said:
There is a metal box outside of the shop where we put unsold magazines so that the driver can pick them up in the morning and we get money back for them.
I put there one parcel but didn't lock the box because there were more magazines to tie and I went inside to do it. And these boys came, opened the box and cut the parcel with knife. They also stole stuff for about 10€ but what made me angry is that they cut some magazines just for fun. I went out cause I heard them and one of them was crying because the metal lid of the box fell on his hands.
They run away immediately.
I know them well because they come from time to time, knock on windows, kick the door and always ask for cigarettes and matches yelling and calling me names when I refuse. They wait for the bus outside and I see them play fighting with each other, they are very loud and make fun of people in the street.
This time my father went to local police and told them what they did and they said we should call them when they come again.
It is not allowed to catch a thief and for example lock him inside until the police comes. Once one man caught a thief which was a woman and it was all on camera. He didn't hurt her in any way, just locked her inside. He was accused of infringement of her personal freedom and had to pay for traumatising her.
So no, I can't touch them in any way. I would be afraid to do so anyway because I'm quite small and groups like these can be dangerous even when they are legally children.
O.K., I think I get the picture.

I think your best bet is to call the police, but also get the kids on camera doing the stuff they do. Take videos. Also, if there are businesses on either side of you, or across the street, talk to them about paying attention when this stuff happens to act as corroborating witnesses. Maybe they'll take video as well.

Likes Sophia
  • #2,089
zoobyshoe said:
O.K., I think I get the picture.

I think your best bet is to call the police, but also get the kids on camera doing the stuff they do. Take videos. Also, if there are businesses on either side of you, or across the street, talk to them about paying attention when this stuff happens to act as corroborating witnesses. Maybe they'll take video as well.
Exactly, that's what we're going to do.

• #2,090
Sophia said:
15 or 20 years ago I lived in neighborhood where a bunch of high school kids has started hanging out outside of businesses harassing people going in and out for spare change. They weren't a gang, per se, but they were turning into one. They started becoming abusive when people didn't give them money, and made threatening remarks. That's a pretty scary situation when 5 or 6 teens are ganging up on you, even when it's only verbal.

The local cops handled it beautifully. Using their discretionary powers with the existing laws against loitering, they made it illegal for any two minors to stand in one place in public. Two or more minors could only be in public together if they were in the act of walking somewhere. They enforced this rigorously until the incipient gang was broken up.

• #2,091
Sophia said:
How about posting video of their actions in YouTube? I may make them think twice next time.

• #2,092
April fools...

• #2,093
WWGD said:
April fools...
Wow, it's my birthday. Snuck up on me this year. Or I was trying to block it out.

Likes Sophia
  • #2,094
zoobyshoe said:
Wow, it's my birthday. Snuck up on me this year. Or I was trying to block it out.
Happy birthday!

Likes WWGD
  • #2,095
Ibix said:
Happy birthday!
If you mean it, say it with PayPal.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky, Sophia and Ibix
  • #2,096
zoobyshoe said:
15 or 20 years ago I lived in neighborhood where a bunch of high school kids has started hanging out outside of businesses harassing people going in and out for spare change. They weren't a gang, per se, but they were turning into one. They started becoming abusive when people didn't give them money, and made threatening remarks. That's a pretty scary situation when 5 or 6 teens are ganging up on you, even when it's only verbal.

The local cops handled it beautifully. Using their discretionary powers with the existing laws against loitering, they made it illegal for any two minors to stand in one place in public. Two or more minors could only be in public together if they were in the act of walking somewhere. They enforced this rigorously until the incipient gang was broken up.
Wow that was a perfect solution! I like that :-)

• #2,097
Sophia said:
A little better than their most recent habit of killing them, for sure.

• #2,098
Sophia said:
Yeah, if you have anti-loitering laws there, you might tell the story to the cops. It would work best the more businesses and people you can gather to complain about these kids.

• #2,099
WWGD said:
How about posting video of their actions in YouTube? I may make them think twice next time.
They would be proud of it. In their culture it is normal to do things like that. If anyone is interested I may send the video of what am I talking about in a PM. It's part of a larger social problem.
Showing them on YouTube would work for kids from middle or upper class families.
I will record them in order to show it to the local police but posting it on yt would have no effect.

• #2,100
zoobyshoe said:
Happy birthday zoobyshoe! :-)
Now I know why you are so funny, because of the date of your birthday!

Likes zoobyshoe and ProfuselyQuarky