Range of Earth's year within habitable zone?

In summary, the conversation discusses the hypothetical question of the Earth's length of orbit within the Sun's habitable zone and its potential to sustain human life. The range of the habitable zone is theorized to be 0.5 AU to 3 AU, with the shortest year being approximately 183 days and the longest being 1095 days. However, factors such as the presence of the moon, the axial tilt of the Earth, and the stability of the planet's orbit must also be taken into consideration. The conversation also explores the potential habitable zone for a K-type star, estimating a period range of 0.157 to 1.255 years. Overall, the precise limits of a star's habitable zone are not
Lapsangtea
Hi all,

So the (hypothetical) question I have is about the range of the Earth's length of orbit (number of days) within the Sun's habitable zone which could sustain human life. I.e. what would the length of the shortest 'habitable' year be, and the longest (in days)? What would our living conditions be like at either extreme?

By the same process, what would the range (in days) approximate to (in support of human life) for a K-type star?

Looking forward to your responses! :)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
According to wikipedia, the biggest theorized range of the habitable zone is 0.5 AU to 3 AU. We are at 1 AU now.
So the shortest year is ~183 days.
The longest year is ~1095 days.

Not sure about the temperature and how livable the conditions are for humans at those extremes.

Likes Lapsangtea
3 AU would guarantee a pretty heavy bombardment ... This won't be habitable for long.

fresh_42 said:
3 AU would guarantee a pretty heavy bombardment ... This won't be habitable for long.
You mean because of the asteroid belt. Consider that the question may apply generally to other Solar Systems. Also, single variable questions like this are hard to give good answers to. For example, there is a hypothesis that the presence of the moon has stabilized the axial tilt of the earth, another that planets close to the primary star becomes tidally locked with one side "cooked" the other side "frozen". The list goes on - the point is not that these ideas are correct/not correct but that there are many possible parameters that come into play. Being in the 'Goldilocks Zone' is just one.

Or maybe this discussion is somewhat pointless if you accept this idea:
http://www.anu.edu.au/news/all-news/the-aliens-are-silent-because-they-are-extinct

Also note that we are assuming a G star not a K as was asked in the question. @Chalnoth could probably give us a decent way to calculate this for star in the main sequence. Or a paper that already has done that.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
I agree. To give the question, which was about earth, a glimpse of a sense I imagined we could in some future time increase Earth's orbit as soon as our sun starts to become a red giant. In addition part of the question has been under which conditions we would live under an altered orbit.

Lapsangtea said:
Hi all,

So the (hypothetical) question I have is about the range of the Earth's length of orbit (number of days) within the Sun's habitable zone which could sustain human life. I.e. what would the length of the shortest 'habitable' year be, and the longest (in days)? What would our living conditions be like at either extreme?

By the same process, what would the range (in days) approximate to (in support of human life) for a K-type star?

A lot depends on what range you use for the habitable zone ( there have been a lot of estimates over the years) For example, one of them puts the habitable zone for our solar system as being from 0.99 to 1.688 AU. Knowing that a K class star can run from 0.48-0.8 solar masses, we can apply the mass-luminosity law for main sequence stars and get a luminosity range of 0.2304-0.64 that of the Sun. From this and using the range above as an example we can work out that for a K0 star the period for the habitable range orbit is from 0.157 yrs to 0.35 years and For a K9 star would range from 0.564-1.255 yrs.

Likes jim mcnamara and Lapsangtea
Lapsangtea said:
Hi all,

You are mistaken to believe a star's habitable zone has anything to do with sustaining human life. A star's habitable zone has absolutely nothing to do with whether it is habitable for life, human or otherwise. A star's habitable zone only pertains to whether liquid water could be present on the surface of a planet. Which also means that more than distance from the star must be taken into consideration. For example, a planet must have an atmosphere with a high enough atmospheric surface pressure. If the planet's atmospheric surface pressure is too low, then there cannot be liquid water.

See also http://depts.washington.edu/naivpl/sites/default/files/index.shtml

While I like Janus' answer, I doubt very much that we understand the limits to the habitable zone to 1%, which is what the precision implies. I also think .99 is too big. I understand the concern about a runaway greenhouse effect from oceanic evaporation, but if you had an atmosphere that was 5 bars of N2, it would greatly mitigate the effect. (I also suspect that the .99 number might be intended more to inform modern political discussion than scientific discussion)

Vanadium 50 said:
While I like Janus' answer, I doubt very much that we understand the limits to the habitable zone to 1%, which is what the precision implies. I also think .99 is too big. I understand the concern about a runaway greenhouse effect from oceanic evaporation, but if you had an atmosphere that was 5 bars of N2, it would greatly mitigate the effect. (I also suspect that the .99 number might be intended more to inform modern political discussion than scientific discussion)
Kopparapu et al. (2014) puts the optimistic habitable zone range at 0.75 AU and 1.765 AU, and a conservative habitable zone range at 0.95 AU and 1.676 AU. However, it also assumes an Albedo of 30% and a high atmospheric surface pressure.

Likes jim mcnamara
Using Sol's conservative inner habitable zone from Kopparapu et al. (2014) of 0.95 AU, Earth would have:
  • An orbit of 338 days;
  • An orbital velocity of 30.6 ± 0.5 km/s; and
  • A mean surface temperature of 33.4°C ± 0.5°C
Using Sol's conservative outer habitable zone of 1.676 AU, Earth would have:
  • An orbit of 792 days;
  • An orbital velocity of 23 ± 0.5 km/s; and
  • A mean surface temperature of -97.2°C ± 0.5°C.
It should be noted that the mean surface temperature of Earth at the conservative inner habitable zone was calculated using an Albedo of 30%, while the mean surface temperature of Earth at the conservative outer habitable zone used an Albedo of 60%. As ice begins to cover Earth's surface at a distance of 1.676 AU the Albedo would begin to increase. Therefore, the Albedo of 60% reflects an Earth that has been completely covered by ice.

Kopparapu et al. (2014) also assumes a lower atmospheric carbon dioxide level at the inner habitable zone and a higher atmospheric carbon dioxide level at the outer habitable zone. The results above are based upon an unchanging 400 ppm (3,098 Gt CO2) atmospheric carbon dioxide level, with an atmospheric mass of 5.1E+18 kg, and an atmospheric surface pressure of 98.2 kPa.

In order to calculate the habitable zone of a spectral type K star, more information is required. The effective surface temperature and luminosity (in solar units) of the star would need to be known.

Likes Lapsangtea
@Bernie G - This is an explanation of possibly why that is. It involves a large number of parameters that all have exist to keep life going - or least not repeatedly blast life back into single celled organisms like bacteria. Mars had liquid water for a measurable fraction of it's existence. If life evolved there anything that is now extant likely has to live under or near the surface. There is a large variety of very simple organisms on Earth living way down under the surface in rock or deep in caves with nasty (to us) atmospheres.

So the Drake Equation has to account for repeated geologic/ecological/cosmic catastrophes in addition to all the parameters it originally had. If you care to use it.

jim mcnamara said:
@Bernie G - This is an explanation of possibly why that is. It involves a large number of parameters that all have exist to keep life going - or least not repeatedly blast life back into single celled organisms like bacteria. Mars had liquid water for a measurable fraction of it's existence. If life evolved there anything that is now extant likely has to live under or near the surface. There is a large variety of very simple organisms on Earth living way down under the surface in rock or deep in caves with nasty (to us) atmospheres. So the Drake Equation has to account for repeated geologic/ecological/cosmic catastrophes in addition to all the parameters it originally had. If you care to use it.

For a planet to allow advanced lifeforms is probably not all that rare. But for those lifeforms to develop technology (printing, chemistry, optics, electricity) is probably exceptionally rare. On Earth its only happened one time. What our species has is a rare treasure.

@Bernie G - and your citation is, please? That is the exact opposite of what the paper cited above claims: All the alien life forms are extinct and/or never got beyond the refrigerator parasite stage.

Last edited:
jim mcnamara said:
@Bernie G - and your citation is, please? That is the exact opposite of what the paper cited above claims: All the alien life forms are extinct and/or never got beyond the refrigerator parasite stage.

I think you are right. In the Milky Way there must be/have been 1000 - 1 million planets with intelligent life. Did any of that intelligent life live long enough to develop technology to prevent extinction? Probably not. Very sad. Our species has an obligation to make things better.

1. What is the habitable zone?

The habitable zone is the region around a star where liquid water can exist on a planet's surface. It is also known as the "Goldilocks zone" because it is not too hot or too cold for life to exist.

2. How is the habitable zone determined?

The habitable zone is determined by a combination of a star's temperature and its luminosity. A star's temperature is used to calculate the distance at which water can exist in liquid form, while its luminosity (brightness) is used to determine the boundaries of the habitable zone.

3. What is the range of Earth's year within the habitable zone?

The range of Earth's year within the habitable zone is approximately 0.95 to 1.37 astronomical units (AU). This means that Earth's orbit falls within the habitable zone, making it an ideal distance from the Sun for liquid water to exist.

4. Can planets outside of the habitable zone still support life?

While the habitable zone is a good estimate for where liquid water can exist, it is not the only factor that determines a planet's habitability. Other factors such as atmospheric composition, geological activity, and the presence of a magnetic field also play important roles in a planet's ability to support life.

5. Are there any other planets within the habitable zone?

Yes, there are several other planets within the habitable zone of their respective stars. Some examples include Mars, which is at the outer edge of the habitable zone in our solar system, and Proxima Centauri b, which is a potentially habitable exoplanet orbiting the closest star to our Sun.