Rank in order, from largest to smallest, the resistance (eq)

In summary, the conversation discusses three different cases involving resistors in parallel and series. For the first case, all three resistors are in parallel, giving the highest conductance and lowest resistance. In the second case, two resistors are in parallel and one in series, resulting in a resistance of 1.5R. For the third case, two resistors are in series and one in parallel, giving a resistance of 2/3R. The conversation also highlights the importance of using both intuition and calculations to solve electrical problems.
Ali Zain

Homework Statement

There is a figure, I'll try my best to draw/describe.
1. All three resisters are in parallel
___R____
!___R____!
!___R____ !

2. 2 resisters are parallel and one in series, after the parallel (ignore the dots)
___R___
... _____R___
!___R___ !

3. 2 resisters are in series and one in parallel.

____R____R____

______R_______!

Homework Equations

For resistors in parallel: 1/R(eq)= 1/R1+ 1/R2+1/R3...
For resistors in series: R1+R2+R3...

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok!
So, for the first one the resistance (eq)= 1/R+1/R+1/R= 1/3R
for 2. I first added R in parallel= 1/2R and with added R separately, that gave me, 1.5R
for 3. I first added two resistors in series R+R= 2R, then I added this 2R using parallel resistance equation. 1/2R + 1/1R = 1.5 R.
I know for a fact this is wrong, resistance of #3 should be less than that of #2. Since it is in parallel.
Can someone please explain what I'm doing wrong here?
Thank you
Ali

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I got it. for #3. 1/R(eq)= 3/2R. R(eq) must be equal to 2/3R.

I am beginning to think that conductance is an under-used concept often more helpful than resistance. Also that ppl would do well to use more physical less formulaic thinking for these electrical problems - note here the question was only qualitative!

So I'd say the first case 1 has 3 conducting each the least resistance possible, so that must have the highest conductance, lowest resistance.
Comparing 2 and 3, well notice that part of the paths are the same. You could say in both cases at top a current is going through
__ R__R__ so that's the same for both. Then at the bottom in 2 current goes through __ R__R__ , in 3 it only goes through __R__ ...

Well may be you did think that, since you did somehow know your calculated result was wrong . :approve:
Intuition and calculation should each be used as a check and correction of the other!

1. What is resistance?

Resistance is the opposition to the flow of electric current in a material. It is measured in ohms (Ω).

2. How is resistance determined?

Resistance is determined by the material and physical properties of the object, such as its length, cross-sectional area, and temperature. The type of material also plays a role in determining its resistance.

3. What factors affect resistance?

The factors that affect resistance include the type of material, length of the object, cross-sectional area, temperature, and the presence of any resistors in the circuit.

4. How does the resistance of a material affect its conductivity?

The higher the resistance of a material, the lower its conductivity. This means that materials with high resistance are poor conductors of electricity, while materials with low resistance are good conductors.

5. What is the relationship between resistance and current?

According to Ohm's law, there is a direct relationship between resistance and current. As resistance increases, current decreases, and vice versa. This means that the higher the resistance, the lower the current flow in a circuit.