Rank the vertical component of velocities at the landing points

In summary, the ranking of the vertical component of the velocity of each projectile at the moment they return to the ground is dependent on the height of the peak of their trajectory. This can be explained by the time taken to fall from the peak, which is determined by the height, and the Pythagorean theorem which states that the square of the vertical velocity is proportional to the gravitational potential energy at the apex of the trajectory. Therefore, the height of the peak is the only factor that matters in determining the vertical component of velocity at impact.
isukatphysics69

Homework Statement

Rank the vertical component of the velocity of each projectile at they moment they return to the ground, greatest first.

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a conceptual homework, so there are no numbers involved. But looking at the picture i was thinking
A>B>D>C but it was wrong. I have thought about and tried numerous different approaches but i am completely stuck.
The initial vertical component rankings are B>A=C>D but i don't see how this matters much because at the vertex they will all be 0. The times taken to reach the ground are D>C>A>B So i feel like since D was the quickest it will not have much time to accumulate -9.8m/s each second. I don't know how to approach this problem!

Attachments

• ProjMot.jpg
    ProjMot.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 447
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree w/ you, although rather than A, B, C, D, I would say, A&B (which are equal) then C&D (which are equal). Who says this is wrong?

phinds said:
I agree w/ you, although rather than A, B, C, D, I would say, A&B (which are equal) then C&D (which are equal). Who says this is wrong?
Hi, this is an online homework assignment and it is marking my entry wrong. So why do you say that A&B and C&D are equal for their vertical components? i must be missing something fundamental here.

phinds said:
Your answer was correct. How did you reason that?

I am confused because they all reach that point at different times. I thought that since they all have different times that they reach that point, they will all accumulate a different amount of -9.8m/s and all have different vertical components. How does the height matter?

isukatphysics69 said:
I am confused because they all reach that point at different times. I thought that since they all have different times that they reach that point, they will all accumulate a different amount of -9.8m/s and all have different vertical components. How does the height matter?
The question asks about the vertical component so the height is the ONLY thing that matters.

phinds said:
The question asks about the vertical component so the height is the ONLY thing that matters.
ok great, thank you!

phinds said:
To amplify on this there are [at least] two ways you can think about this.

1. The time taken to fall from the peak of a trajectory depends on the height of that peak. The velocity acquired depends on that time alone. So height of the peak is all that matters.

2. [This one is trickier]. The Pythagorean theorem says that the square of the horizontal velocity plus the square of the vertical velocity equals the square of the resulting total velocity. Energy is proportional to the square of velocity. So one can speak loosely of the kinetic energy corresponding to the horizontal velocity and the kinetic energy corresponding to the vertical velocity separately. The sum of the two is total kinetic energy. Horizontal velocity for a freely falling projectile is unchanging. So we can ignore the portion of kinetic energy associated with horizontal motion. The kinetic energy associated with the vertical motion at impact is identical to the gravitational potential energy at the apex of the trajectory. So the vertical velocity at impact is purely a function of the height of the peak of the trajectory.

1. What is the vertical component of velocity?

The vertical component of velocity refers to the speed at which an object moves up or down, relative to a fixed point.

2. How is the vertical component of velocity calculated?

The vertical component of velocity can be calculated using the formula v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

3. Why is it important to rank the vertical component of velocities at landing points?

Ranking the vertical component of velocities at landing points is important because it allows scientists to compare the speed at which different objects are moving when they reach the ground. This information can provide insights into the forces acting on the objects and their trajectories.

4. What are some factors that can affect the vertical component of velocity at landing points?

The vertical component of velocity at landing points can be affected by factors such as initial velocity, acceleration due to gravity, air resistance, and the angle of descent.

5. How does the vertical component of velocity impact the landing of an object?

The vertical component of velocity plays a crucial role in determining the impact and force of an object's landing. A higher vertical velocity can result in a more forceful impact, while a lower vertical velocity can lead to a smoother landing.