Rank the rate of speed changing of object?

In summary, the problem asks to rank the magnitude of the change. The program tells you to find the acceleration parrallel component of the acceleration vector. You use the formula acosine(theta). You estimate the thetas and get the values A=2, C=0, D=2.82, E=0.388, F=1.5. The problem asks you to find the parallel component of the acceleration vector, which you do using the formula a*cos(theta).
isukatphysics69

Homework Statement

Rank the rate at which the speed of each object is changing, greatest first. Ignore the sign; rank the magnitude or absolute value only.

Homework Equations

The red vector is the acceleration[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have A>F>D>E=C and the program is telling me i am wrong. I am square rooting the sum of the squares of the components of the red vectors. I have A=4,F=SQRT(10),D=SQRT(8), C AND D = SQRT(5).

Attachments

• curve.jpg
    curve.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 398
Physics news on Phys.org
OK I THINK I KNOW WHAT I AM DOING WRONG. I NEED TO FIND THE PARRALEL COMPONENT NOT LOOK AT THE ACCELERATION VECTOR!

Ok, now i have D>A>F>E>C after using Aparrellel = Acosine(theta) and it is still saying i am wrong after getting the values A=2,C=0,D=2.82,E=0.388,F=1.5. I estimated the angles between velocity and acceleration vectors

isukatphysics69 said:
OK I THINK I KNOW WHAT I AM DOING WRONG. I NEED TO FIND THE PARRALEL COMPONENT NOT LOOK AT THE ACCELERATION VECTOR!
Parallel component of what? Parallel with what?

ehild said:
Ok hi, i need to find the parrelel component of the acceleration vector (the red one in the picture)

isukatphysics69 said:
Ok hi, i need to find the parrelel component of the acceleration vector (the red one in the picture)
Parallel with what?
You can read the components of the velocity and acceleration vectors, and calculate the scalar products, instead of estimating the angles.

ehild said:
So i have to rank the rate that the speed of the particle is changing which means i have to find the acceleration parrelel component of the acceleration vector i believe. so i used the formula that my professor said and it is acos(theta) and i estimated the thetas. i have the values A=2 C=0 D=2.8 E=0.38 F=1.5

ehild said:
Parallel with what?
The acceleration vector is parrelel with the velocity vector

ehild said:
Parallel with what?
You can read the components of the velocity and acceleration vectors, and calculate the scalar products, instead of estimating the angles.
Dot product?

isukatphysics69 said:
The acceleration vector is parrelel with the velocity vector
You mean the component of the acceleration vector, parallel with the velocity vector.

isukatphysics69 said:
Dot product?
Yes. Dot product of the acceleration with the unit vector in the direction of the velocity.

ehild said:
Yes.
ehild said:
Yes. Dot product of the acceleration with the unit vector in the direction of the velocity.
Using the dot product i have A>F>E>C=D A=6, F=5, E=2, C and E =0

Program is telling me i am incorrect. >=[
So we start at the particles position and have wherever the velocity vector is pointing as the positive direction right?

isukatphysics69 said:
Program is telling me i am incorrect. >=[
So we start at the particles position and have wherever the velocity vector is pointing as the positive direction right?
The problem asks to rank the magnitude of the change.
You need the projection of the acceleration vector onto the direction of the velocity vector. It is the dot product of the acceleration vector with the velocity vector divided by the magnitude of the velocity vector.

It is easy to draw the orthogonal projection of the acceleratiom vector onto the direction of the velocity vector I show you for case A,
upload_2018-2-20_7-19-57.png

##\vec v = (2;-2)## ##\vec a = (0;4). ##
##
a*cos(\theta)= \frac{\vec a \cdot \vec v}{|v|}##

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-20_7-19-57.png
    upload_2018-2-20_7-19-57.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 721
ehild said:
It is easy to draw the orthogonal projection of the acceleratiom vector onto the direction of the velocity vector I show you for case A,
View attachment 220697
##\vec v = (2;-2)## ##\vec a = (0;4). ##
##
a*cos(\theta)= \frac{\vec a \cdot \vec v}{|v|}##
Ok i appreciate this, let me give this another try and then come back. I do not understand why we are dividing by the velocity vector magnitude tho. what purpose is that for? I'm sorry i am really terrible with physics

I have the values A=2.12 C=0 E=0.89 F=2.236 D= Division by 0 doesn't exist B = motion is impossible

ok i think i understand why we divide by the magnitude of the velocity vector. it is because we are adding that value onto the velocity vector correct? So those values that i posted are the values being added onto the velocity vector to lengthen it. but i entered the answer F>A>E>C and it was incorrect

The acceleration has component parallel with the velocity and perpendicular to it. Only the parallel component changes the speed v, magnitude of the velocity. The other is the centripetal acceleration, it changes the direction of the velocity. a cos (ϑ) is the parallel component of the acceleration. .## a cos (ϑ)= \frac{a v cos(ϑ)}{v} = \frac{\vec a\cdot \vec v}{v}##
See the picture in Post #16. Can you read the parallel component of the acceleration ( parallel with the velocity)?
Can you calculate the dot product of the velocity and acceleration?

ehild said:
The acceleration has component parallel with the velocity and perpendicular to it. Only the parallel component changes the speed v, magnitude of the velocity. The other is the centripetal acceleration, it changes the direction of the velocity. a cos (ϑ) is the parallel component of the acceleration. .## a cos (ϑ)= \frac{a v cos(ϑ)}{v} = \frac{\vec a\cdot \vec v}{v}##
See the picture in Post #16. Can you read the parallel component of the acceleration ( parallel with the velocity)?
Can you calculate the dot product of the velocity and acceleration?
Yes, so it will be (2*0+4*(-2))/(sqrt(8)) = -2.828

isukatphysics69 said:
Yes, so it will be (2*0+4*(-2))/(sqrt(8)) = -2.828
Yes, but you need only the magnitude, 2.828.
Look at C. What is the parallel component of the acceleration? What angle do the velocity and acceleration enclose?

A = (2*0+4*(-2))/(sqrt(8)) = -2.828 =2.828
B = MOTION IMPOSSIBLE there is no acceleration
C= (2*-1+1*-2)/sqrt(5) = 0
D = indeterminate form division by 0 since velocity = 0 there
E = (2*-1+0*2)/2 = -1 = 1
D = (3*2+-1*1)/sqrt(5) = 2.236

A>D>E>C

isukatphysics69 said:
D = (3*2+-1*1)/sqrt(5) = 2.236

A>D>E>C
Program saying this is wrong answer.

isukatphysics69 said:
D F= (3*2+-1*1)/sqrt(5) = 2.236

A>D>E>C
isukatphysics69 said:
If the velocity is zero, the rate of change of the speed is equal to the acceleration.

ehild said:
Yes, but you need only the magnitude, 2.828.
Look at C. What is the parallel component of the acceleration? What angle do the velocity and acceleration enclose?
90 degree angle, if it is
ehild said:
If the velocity is zero, the rate of change of the speed is equal to the acceleration.
YES THANK YOU!

ehild said:
Thank you so much!

1. What is the definition of rate of speed changing?

The rate of speed changing, or acceleration, is the change in an object's velocity over time. It is a measure of how quickly or slowly an object is changing its speed.

2. How is the rate of speed changing calculated?

The rate of speed changing can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is: a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What is the difference between positive and negative acceleration?

Positive acceleration occurs when an object's speed is increasing, while negative acceleration (also known as deceleration) occurs when an object's speed is decreasing. This can be seen in a velocity-time graph, where a positive slope represents positive acceleration and a negative slope represents negative acceleration.

4. Can an object have a constant rate of speed changing?

No, an object cannot have a constant rate of speed changing. This would mean that the object's acceleration is zero, and it would either be moving at a constant speed or at rest. However, the object's rate of speed changing can be constant at certain points in its motion, such as during uniform circular motion.

5. How does the mass of an object affect its rate of speed changing?

The mass of an object does not directly affect its rate of speed changing. However, objects with larger masses require more force to accelerate, meaning they may have a slower rate of speed changing compared to objects with smaller masses that require less force to accelerate.