Rank velocities of projectiles at landing?

In summary, the conversation is about ranking velocity vectors at a landing zone in a projectile motion problem. The person is struggling to understand how to approach the problem and is seeking help before an upcoming test. They believe that the distance traveled by the projectile increases as the initial speed increases, but is unsure about the shape of the trajectory and how it affects the rankings. The conversation ends with a suggestion to estimate the width to height ratio in order to make a more accurate comparison of the velocity vectors.
isukatphysics69

Homework Statement

I will attatch the picture. Can someone please help me UNDERSTAND how to rank the velocity vectors at the landing zone?? I am having a really hard time with physics >=[ i don't know how to just look at this graph and rank the velocities.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was using dummy variables for angles/components/time but realized that's not a good idea. Please someone help me understand how to approach this? i have a test in 2 days!

Attachments

• ProjMot.jpg
    ProjMot.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 396
Physics news on Phys.org
This looks like an unusual question. If you fire a projectile (at any given angle), what happens to its trajectory as you increase its initial speed?

PeroK said:
This looks like an unusual question. If you fire a projectile (at any given angle), what happens to its trajectory as you increase its initial speed?
The distance that the projectile travels increases right? But all of these distances are the same. I feel like since A will have the most time decreasing since it reaches its maximum before B, A>B. Since D is constantly decreasing i was thinking the magnitude of its vector will be greater than C at landing. i ranked it A>B?D>C and it was wrong.

isukatphysics69 said:
The distance that the projectile travels increases right?

Yes, but what about the shape of the trajectory? Perhaps think about trajectory B in your diagram, as an example.

Clearly D>C and A>B, but no further comparisons are possible without making some estimate of the width to height ratio.
Let the width be x and the heights be y and 2y. For each case you will find ##v^2=gy\left(\alpha+\beta\frac{x^2}{y^2}\right)##, for some constants α, β. Only by knowing an approximate value for x/y can you settle the whole sequence.

1. What factors affect the velocity of a projectile at landing?

The velocity of a projectile at landing is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and gravitational pull. These factors can either increase or decrease the final velocity of the projectile at landing.

2. How does air resistance impact the velocity of a projectile at landing?

Air resistance, also known as drag, acts in the opposite direction of the projectile's motion and can decrease its velocity at landing. The greater the surface area and speed of the projectile, the more significant the impact of air resistance will be.

3. What role does gravity play in the velocity of a projectile at landing?

Gravity is the force that pulls a projectile towards the ground, causing it to accelerate. As the projectile gets closer to the ground, the force of gravity increases, ultimately determining the final velocity at landing.

4. How does the angle of launch affect the velocity of a projectile at landing?

The angle of launch has a significant impact on the velocity of a projectile at landing. A higher angle of launch will result in a slower but more extended flight, whereas a lower angle of launch will result in a shorter but faster flight.

5. Can the velocity of a projectile at landing be calculated accurately?

Yes, the velocity of a projectile at landing can be calculated accurately using mathematical equations and taking into account the various factors that affect its velocity. However, variables such as air resistance and wind can make it challenging to calculate the exact velocity at landing.