Ranking Forces on a Charged Particle in Uniform Electric and Magnetic Fields

In summary, the magnitude of the force on the particle just after it enters the regions A-G can be ranked as follows: G>A=C=D=E=F>B.
vysero

Homework Statement

The below region of space shown has uniform electric and/or magnetic fields, dependent on the conditions listed for cases A-G. Identical positively charged particles enters these regions with the same velocity.

Rank the magnitude of the force on the particle just after it enters these regions for cases A-G from greatest to least.

Untitled.png

Homework Equations

F = qE + qv x B
F = qE
Fb = qvBsin(*)

The Attempt at a Solution

A) Since the particle is positive(+) I said there would be a force F namely ( ---> ) on the particle.

B) When only B is present there is no force on the particle, Fb = qvBsin(0) = 0. This is because both B and V are parallel.

C) Same as A: ( ---> )

D) Same as A: ( ---> )

E) Here the direction of the force changes but its magnitude remains the same so: ( <--- )

F) There is an upwards force in this case. However, its magnitude is the same as was in A.

G) I have this as being two forces on the particle so G is the largest.

Overall I ranked them as follows: G>A=C=D=E=F>B

Not sure if I did these correctly any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
vysero said:

Homework Statement

The below region of space shown has uniform electric and/or magnetic fields, dependent on the conditions listed for cases A-G. Identical positively charged particles enters these regions with the same velocity.

Rank the magnitude of the force on the particle just after it enters these regions for cases A-G from greatest to least.

View attachment 80877

Homework Equations

F = qE + qv x B
F = qE
Fb = qvBsin(*)

The Attempt at a Solution

A) Since the particle is positive(+) I said there would be a force F namely ( ---> ) on the particle.

B) When only B is present there is no force on the particle, Fb = qvBsin(0) = 0. This is because both B and V are parallel.

C) Same as A: ( ---> )

D) Same as A: ( ---> )

E) Here the direction of the force changes but its magnitude remains the same so: ( <--- )

F) There is an upwards force in this case. However, its magnitude is the same as was in A.

G) I have this as being two forces on the particle so G is the largest.

Overall I ranked them as follows: G>A=C=D=E=F>B

Not sure if I did these correctly any help would be appreciated.

Sounds ok to me.

Likes vysero
Dick said:
Sounds ok to me.

Wait... you mean I got it right.. like on my own ._. I think I will go have a drink!

vysero said:
Wait... you mean I got it right.. like on my own ._. I think I will go have a drink!

Sure, have a drink. I can't see anything wrong with your logic.

1. What are electric and magnetic fields?

Electric and magnetic fields are physical phenomena that are created by the presence of electric charges and currents. Electric fields are produced by stationary charges, while magnetic fields are produced by moving charges or currents.

2. How do electric and magnetic fields interact?

Electric and magnetic fields interact with each other through a fundamental physical law known as electromagnetism. This means that an electric field can create a magnetic field and vice versa. Their interaction is essential for many technological applications, such as electric motors and generators.

3. Are electric and magnetic fields harmful to humans?

There is currently no scientific evidence to suggest that the electric and magnetic fields found in everyday environments, such as those produced by power lines, are harmful to human health. However, exposure to high levels of electric and magnetic fields, such as those found in certain industrial settings, may pose potential risks.

4. How are electric and magnetic fields measured?

Electric and magnetic fields can be measured using specialized instruments, such as electric field meters and gaussmeters. These instruments measure the strength and direction of the fields and convert them into numerical values that can be compared to safety guidelines.

5. What are some common sources of electric and magnetic fields?

Some common sources of electric and magnetic fields include power lines, household appliances, and electronic devices such as cell phones and laptops. They can also be found in nature, such as the Earth's magnetic field and lightning strikes.