Rate of discharge for a battery

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the formula T=C/I^n to model inefficiencies in batteries while designing an electric vehicle. The variables T, C, I, and n represent battery life, capacity, current, and Peukert's number respectively. The question of whether 1.1 would be a suitable value for n in lithium ion batteries is raised, with the mention that lead acid batteries typically use a value of 1.2-1.3. Additional information is provided regarding the battery capacity, motor voltage, cell voltage, and average current. It is noted that the formula may only be applicable to lead acid batteries, and the speaker expresses a desire for a simpler algorithm for their spreadsheet.
robinfisichel
I am designing an electric vehicle and choosing the batteries. For this i want to model some inefficiencys into the batteries. I came across the formulae T=C/I^n where

T=battery life
C = capacitence
I= current
n= Peukert's number

would 1.1 for n be ok for lithium ion, it seems to take quite a lot off with large currents, i couldn't find a general number for li-on only that lead acid use 1.2-1.3...

Battery = 100 Ah
Voltage motor = 156 v
cell voltage = 3.3v
average current = 36 Amps

the current was calulated from power requirements at any given time P=IV

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
robinfisichel said:
I am designing an electric vehicle and choosing the batteries. For this i want to model some inefficiencys into the batteries. I came across the formulae T=C/I^n where

T=battery life
C = capacitence
I= current
n= Peukert's number

would 1.1 for n be ok for lithium ion, it seems to take quite a lot off with large currents, i couldn't find a general number for li-on only that lead acid use 1.2-1.3...

Battery = 100 Ah
Voltage motor = 156 v
cell voltage = 3.3v
average current = 36 Amps

the current was calulated from power requirements at any given time P=IV

C is not capacitance, it is battery capacity. Re n, I don't know but a good Li-ion should be much less than 1.1.

mheslep said:
C is not capacitance, it is battery capacity. Re n, I don't know but a good Li-ion should be much less than 1.1.

Actually from reading the wiki on this it looks like the equation is meant for lead acid only, so probably that's why i can't find a number. I would like to find a general alogorithm just to make things simpler in my spreadsheet!

What is the rate of discharge for a battery?

The rate of discharge for a battery refers to the speed at which it releases its stored energy. It is typically measured in units of amperes (A) or milliamperes (mA), and can vary depending on the type and size of the battery.

How is the rate of discharge calculated?

The rate of discharge for a battery is calculated by dividing the battery's capacity (measured in ampere-hours, or Ah) by the discharge current (measured in amperes). For example, a battery with a capacity of 1000mAh and a discharge current of 500mA would have a rate of discharge of 2 hours (1000mAh/500mA = 2 hours).

Why is the rate of discharge important?

The rate of discharge is important because it can affect the performance and lifespan of a battery. If a battery is discharged too quickly, it may not be able to supply enough power for the intended device or application. On the other hand, discharging a battery too slowly may result in a lower overall capacity and reduced efficiency.

What factors can affect the rate of discharge for a battery?

The rate of discharge for a battery can be affected by a variety of factors, including the type and chemistry of the battery, the temperature, the age and condition of the battery, and the amount and type of load being placed on the battery.

How can the rate of discharge be managed or controlled?

The rate of discharge for a battery can be managed or controlled by using the appropriate battery for the intended application, monitoring the discharge current and voltage, and implementing measures such as temperature control and load balancing to optimize the battery's performance and lifespan.