Ratio of atoms in different laser levels

In summary, The maximum ratio of atoms in N1 compared with N3 for large intensities is not explicitly stated, but it is suggested that it would be when the ratio of Ip/Is is large. However, it is also mentioned that this may not be the case and it is possible that the ratio could reach a point where N3 = 0.5 N1. The reasoning for this is not clear and further clarification is needed.
Jon.G

Homework Statement

For large intensities, what is the maximum ratio of atoms in N1 compared with N3?
I suppose this is just a bit of maths I'm struggling with, seems simple I just can't get it for whatever reason D:

Working through previous question, I got to:
N3= (Ip/Is) / ((Ip/Is) +1 ) N1
(Ip is the 'pump' intensity, Is is the saturation intensity)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My first thought was with the large intensities, they would be >> 1, so I could just ignore that and get N3 = N1. But then because it's the same fraction in the numerator and the denominator, and the +1 comes after the Ip/Is, I thought this to be wrong.
My only other thought is that if the fraction reaches the point where it becomes 1, then N3 = 0.5 N1.
But I'm not sure where my reasoning of this would come from. I don't think it would be ∞/∞ as, if I am correct, that is not defined, not 1.Any hints?
Thank in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Jon.G said:
with the large intensities, they would be >> 1, so I could just ignore that
You could ignore the 1 if the ratio Ip/Is is large, but you don't seem to be told that.

Related to Ratio of atoms in different laser levels

What is the ratio of atoms in different laser levels?

The ratio of atoms in different laser levels refers to the relative number of atoms in each energy level within a laser system. This ratio can vary depending on the type of laser and the specific energy levels involved.

What factors affect the ratio of atoms in different laser levels?

The ratio of atoms in different laser levels can be affected by a variety of factors, including the type of laser, the type of atoms being used, and the energy levels involved. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and pressure can also impact this ratio.

Why is the ratio of atoms in different laser levels important?

The ratio of atoms in different laser levels is important because it determines the efficiency and output power of a laser. By controlling this ratio, scientists can optimize the performance of a laser for specific applications.

How is the ratio of atoms in different laser levels measured?

The ratio of atoms in different laser levels is typically measured using spectroscopy techniques, which involve shining light of a known wavelength onto the atoms and measuring the resulting absorption or emission spectra. This can provide information about the population of atoms in different energy levels.

Can the ratio of atoms in different laser levels be manipulated?

Yes, the ratio of atoms in different laser levels can be manipulated through various techniques such as optical pumping, which involves transferring energy from one energy level to another. This manipulation can be used to control the output of the laser and tailor it for specific applications.